Overlay help for my story!

Hey guys, I’m currently working on my story and I really need help with the overlays. It is a flame that is suppose to be in my main characters’ hand, but it doesn’t show up. Please help!!!

1 Like

Send your script code. Copy and paste it in the chat box.

1 Like

Hello @applejacks, this is Sydney the moderator. Welcome to the forum. :smiley: Moved this topic to Directing Helps and Tips since it involves script errors. Make sure to check out our Forum Tutorial for more info about where to correctly create topics, and feel to PM me if there are any questions. :wink:

How have you coded the overlay?
INT. BACKGROUND with OVERLAY to 1 100 100 in zone # at layer #

&overlay OVERLAY create
&overlay OVERLAY scales to 1.0 1.0
&overlay OVERLAY shifts to 100 100 in zone#
&overlay OVERLAY opacity 1 in 0
&overlay OVERLAY moves to layer #

Make sure you specify the zone whichever way you code the overlay. If using the second method, always put the opacity command or it’ll be invisible :blush:

1 Like

I’m having a similar problem. I create my overlay (@overlay [overlay name] create) and preview my story. Here’s where my problem comes in, I press directing help and click the button that allows me to move it but it doesn’t show up. I’ve only used overlays I’ve created myself (which have all been approved).

:point_up_2: answered just before you commented :sweat_smile: you need to use the opacity command :+1:

Ah, okay. Thanks so much! These overlays are a big part of my story.

1 Like

Good luck :wink: feel free to DM me with any questions !

Thanks for the help. Scripts on Episodes are so complex to me for some reason.

2 Likes

Here it is:
&overlay FIRE AND WATER create
&overlay FIRE AND WATER scales to 0.838 0.838
&overlay FIRE AND WATER shifts to 191 271
&overlay FIRE AND WATER opacity 1 in 0

1 Like

You can’t have the word AND in your overlay name as the script will think this is a command. You’ll have to upload it again with a different name.

1 Like

alright, I guess that makes sense. Thank you for helping!!

You’re most welcome :blush:

The problem I am having is I want the overlay to be completely invisible, but right now it’s only transparent.

did you set opacity on 0? Also, welcome on the forums :smiley:

Yeah, I’m pretty sure I set it to 0, it might just be a glitch in the preview of the story.

Also, thanks for the welcome.

1 Like

I am not sure about that my overlay has same name as one of the characters ans still the script recognises it as overlay…the problem might be more simple - that the overlay is in another zone than 1 but apple forgot to add the zone to the shift comand. :smiley:

AND in overlay name is actually a problem, name isn’t, I have loads overlays named like my characters, but once you use AND it won’t work

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.