Overlay issues really need help!

Hi, I am somewhat new at writing and I have emailed episode and they can’t help so I’m wondering if anyone here can. I want my characters to be sitting in the back seat of a car but for some reason they can’t be brought to front. Then when they get out the car I want the character Zariah to enter from the left but to a direct spot and it won’t work. Can someone please help?

1 Like

By default, overlays are placed in front of characters. In order to make the character appear in front of an overlay, you must set both character and overlay layer. In order to set layers, you have to have a background.
So, for example:
INT. BLACK - DAY with INT. COMPACT CAR BACKSEAT BLACK - DAY at layer 0
&LILLY stands screen right AND LILLY faces left AND LILLY moves to layer 1 AND LILLY starts talk_sit_ankles_crossed
&ZARIAH stands screen left AND ZARIAH faces left AND ZARIAH moves to layer 1 AND ZARIAH starts talk_sit_ankles_crossed

Note: Using screen directing makes male characters smaller than female characters by default. It would be very beneficial to practice and use spot directing, even for placing characters.

Thank you so much!