Overlay progressive growing effect

I’m trying to make my overlay progressively grow, not get bigger. So I know that I wouldn’t mess with the scaling , but rather the opacity times. i know what I’m trying to do but I just can’t seem to get it down. anyways, two brains are better than one so is there anyone who may know a different approach to this?

In depth description

For example, a flower growing (it’s stem). When it grows the stem gets longer and the petals bloom n whatnot. I’m trying to do this with one of my overlays. Make the overlay grow but not in size. Width and length wise I guess? I’ve made multiple diff overlays in diff stages (I guess u could say) of the growth. P.s the flower is an example my overlay is not actually an flower

You mentioned you have overlays in multiple stages. Are they all the same size? If so, then things may be significantly easier.

Here's how I would set it up, going by the flower example:
  1. Begin with an empty stem overlay that is the same size as the stem+petals overlay.
  2. Place the empty stem and stem+petals overlays on top of each other using spot directing.
    a) For example, start with the stem being scaled to 1.000 1.000 and the stem+petals also scaled to 1.000 1.000
    b) The scale that you set them both to in this step is the scale that they will be at the end of the growth animation.
  3. Scale down the Y scale of the stem and the stem + petals. Scale them both to, say 1.000 0.500. This is the size of the flower at the beginning of the growth animation.
The script would then look like this:

#insert overlay positioning here
&overlay STEM WITH PETALS scales to 1.000 0.500
&overlay STEM scales to 1.000 0.500
&overlay STEM WITH PETALS opacity 0
&overlay STEM opacity 1

@pause for a beat

#here’s the actual animation:

&overlay STEM WITH PETALS scales to 1.000 1.000 in 4
&overlay STEM scales to 1.000 1.000 in 4
&overlay STEM WITH PETALS opacity 1 in 4
&overlay STEM opacity 0 in 4

As the stem overlay increases in height and fades away, the stem+petals overlay will fade in and take its place.
Of course, if you wanted the flower to grow leaves and then petals, you would follow the same formatting, in multiple steps:

1. The empty stem grows a bit while fading away, while the stem+leaves overlay fades in while growing at the same rate.
  2. The stem+leaves overlay grows while fading out, as the stem+leaves+petals overlay fades in while scaling up.

I hope this is what you were looking for!

Thank you! But sadly this is not what I’m looking for. I’ll figure it out myself, big thanks tho!

1 Like

I think I understand what you’re getting at, and as far as I know, there’s now way to “stretch” and overlay, so to speak.

The only thing I can think of would be to have many overlays that continue to fade in to give the appearance of growth.

Example: an overlay of a small sprout in the ground, fade in an overlay of the stem a little taller, fade in another overlay a little taller, (repeat this til you get the height you want) then fade in an overlay of your flower bud, fade in an overlay of individual petals one by one until you get the full flower.

Here’s an example to kind of show what I mean:

2 Likes

It is possible to stretch an overlay. It’s done by scaling in only one axis.

Here is an example that you can try in the portal

INT. ABANDONED GOVT OFFICE - DAY with BOXES
@overlay BOXES scales to 1.000 1.000
@pause for a beat
@overlay BOXES scales to 1.000 1.800 in 5
@pause for 10

Your method is also good. It’s more suited than mine for something that moves and meanders while it grows.

1 Like

Wow, I had no idea! Gosh I feel so silly that I never tested that out before :rofl::sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile: thank you so much for sharing that with me!

1 Like

Aww you’re welcome! :blush: :two_hearts:

1 Like

yes haha! That’s exactly what I mean and what I’m doing. I’m only having troubles with the seconds of the opacity time I’m entering. I can’t seem to get it perfect, but I’ve got it decent enough!

Ahh, well if you want, you can send me a pm with your script and/or a screen recording of what’s happening and I can try to help!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.