Overlay shifts and then character shifts, but I want them to move at the same time and they are not doing so

I am using a tutorial from Mary D Sava, an Episode writer who also does tutorials on YouTube. I followed this tutorial: EPISODE: How to create a Split screen - YouTube

It is when a split screen overlay and a character goes on screen at the same time. I’ve got the overlay shifting and the character shifting fine, but they aren’t at the same time. The overlay shifts first and then the character. The problem is so frustrating because I have done it in an earlier episode and it worked just fine. Here’s the code for the overlay:

INT. LIVING ROOM MODERN COZY - NIGHT
@cut to zone 2
@zoom on 360 317 to 311% in 0
@VANESSA spot 0.668 82 286 in zone 2
@VANESSA faces right

#dialogue here

@zoom on 389 312 to 311% in 0
@pause for a beat
@VANESSA is listen_phone_sigh
@overlay SPLITSCREENNAOMI create
@overlay SPLITSCREENNAOMI opacity 1
@overlay SPLITSCREENNAOMI moves to layer 3
@overlay SPLITSCREENNAOMI scales to 0.334 0.334
@overlay SPLITSCREENNAOMI shifts to 44 79 in zone 2
@overlay SPLITSCREENNAOMI shifts to 45 212 in 1 in zone 2
@NAOMI moves to layer 4
@NAOMI stands screen center
@NAOMI faces left
@NAOMI spot 0.740 133 50 in zone 2
&NAOMI walks to spot 0.740 124 170 in zone 2 in 1 AND NAOMI does it while listen_phone_happy_loop AND overlay SPLITSCREENNAOMI shifts to 45 212 in zone 2 in 1

The code looks like the one that works in an earlier episode, except this scene has dialogue before the split screen. I’ve also tried the “THEN” command and it still did not work. Do you have any idea how to fix this? Thanks!

Delete the parts I striked out and add the parts I bolded.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.