Overlay Tips Thread

Hey, guys! So I’ve come across a couple of cool hacks that I’ve discovered that not many people know of, so this is a thread where you can put some tips for any overlay tips or tricks that you have come across and want to share with the community!

Tip 1
If your overlay doesn’t quite fit correctly, you can alter the shifting part of the overlay so instead of the code being something like
@overlay YOUROVERLAY shifts to 100 200 in zone 1 in 0
it would be:
@overlay YOUR OVERLAY shifts to 100.5 200 in zone 1 in 0
Notice how I added a .5 after. This makes it so that it might match up easier and make it look more efficient and thought-out instead of just messy, lazy, or scrambled coding.

Tip 2
When scaling an overlay, the numbers automatically fix themselves so it preserves the ratio for your overlay so the two numbers will always be the same unless you adjust them.
For example:
@overlay YOUROVERLAY scales to 1.000 1.000 in 0
is your regular placement code, but you can switch it up and make it
@overlay YOUROVERLAY scales to 1.000 0.500 in 0
This can add a cool effect for specific overlays and be cool if you want to add a little extra spice in the intro of your story

Those are all of the tips I can remember for now!
Feel free to comment any tips or tricks if you feel like it!
Comment or dm me if you have any questions or concerns!
My IG is @tru.epy!

I got a couple :3

1. When sizing an overlay to scale for animation without spotting the new scaled overlay, use “anchor point 0.5 0.5” (assuming you’re scaling while staying centered) and the overlay will remain the same position while scaling.

2. You can use easing functions with zoom, so thats super helpful if ya wanna create some interesting effects! (not overlay related, but i figured id add it anyway)

3. To add pauses on overlay loops, simply copy the command of the overlay with the intended pause time.
    For example:
    @overlay OBJECT shifts to x y in 0 THEN overlay OBJECT shifts to x y in 1 loop infinite times

This will cause the object to technically pause for 1 sec, because the object is already staying still.

1. To stop a loop animation after a dialogue or whenever you want (without testing the exact number of loops you need for the timing) simply clear and then create the object (optional, if you want the overlay to still exist). This will stop the loop.
1 Like

Here are some more that I forgot to add in!

Tip 1
You can use NARRATOR (NARR) bubbles to pause when you’re trying to spot an overlay or you want to pause at that exact time
For Example:
@overlay YOUROVERLAY shifts to 100 100 in zone 1 in 3
NARR
Pause
(# @overlay YOUROVERLAY shifts to 50 50 in zone 1 in 3

Tip 2
To find certain errors in your code, you can split the code in half and use the # to find it (I usually only use this for increasingly long codes)
For Example:

@overlay YOUROVERLAY shifts to 100 100 in zone 1 in 3 AND overlay YOUROVERLAY scales to 0.100 0.100 in 3
(# THEN overlay YOUROVERLAY shifts to 50 50 in zone 1 in 3

And if you get an error code, you can keep splitting the code until you find the error, and if you don’t get an error code, you know that the error is in the code in the hashtag.

Tip 3
I don’t know why I’m adding this, but if you’ve ever wanted to see the code INSIDE the coding that you do, or how the coding works, press CTRL + u while you’re on the coding page and it should bring up the view-source page.

Tip 4
Also, if want to put a note in the code, then you can put a hashtag before your code and it will not be seen by the reader and only in your code.
For example:

(# end of story
(# start of story
(# plot of episode

And if you want to find where you put that, you just press CTRL + f and you can search the text for it.