Panster Or Plotter Quiz

image_search_1566340261038

Here is a quiz telling you what type of writer you are! Leave down screenshots and results!!

4 Likes

Efficient Plotter!

Result Image
You’re the kind of person who likes to have everything organized before you start. You’re not happy unless you know where you’re going and how to get there. ‘Winging it’ is just not in your nature, you like research, and you’d rather measure twice so you only have to cut once!

You should definitely plot your novel BEFORE you start writing.

Plotters generally enjoy the writing process a lot more when they have a detailed outline to follow. If working from a blueprint or an instruction manual sounds good to you, then you might want to start by thinking about worldbuilding, character profiling, plot structure, timelines, and any helpful research.
The great thing about being a Plotter is that, after all that brainstorming, you probably won’t find yourself suffering from writer’s block! And nothing should come as much of a shock when you’re ready to edit your first draft.

A WORD OF ADVICE: when you read your first draft, you might find that your plot feels a little formulaic and your characters a little flat. That’s the danger of ‘over-planning’ a novel. So don’t be afraid to go in a different direction if you get a good idea or if it feels more natural for your characters.

2 Likes

Awesome Hybrid!

You’re tough to pin down… You don’t like to be constricted by labels! Sure, you like to plan – but those plans could change at any moment. And yeah, it’s nice to have the security of being organized but it’s still fun to be surprised along the way. Right?

Hybrids usually start by plotting their novel, but it’s really more of a ‘guideline’. In a way, you have the best of both worlds: if you wander off the trail, you have a map to guide you back to the path. Of course, if you discover something amazing in the wilderness, you also have the flexibility and the creativity to draw a new map!

Yes, Hybrids may take longer to write a novel, as you might find yourself restructuring your plot many times, but you have the advantage of being able to anchor your story with strong plot points – and elevate it with flashes of inspiration!

A WORD OF ADVICE: if inspiration leads you in a different direction… go with it. See where it leads. But when it finally lets go of your hand, take a look at your plan and assess just how far off the path you’ve gone. Decide whether you want to keep following this new route, or track your way back to the original trail.

This was actually pretty accurate. When it comes to writing I make everything up off the top of my head with only major plot points a few chapters apart pre-planned. On the other hand… I make a wishlist that I send out to everyone during holidays.

6 Likes

Adventurous Pantser!

Result Image

You’re one of life’s great adventurers! You prefer to leap before you look. You like surprises. And you’d rather seek forgiveness than ask for permission.

Plotting (or RE-structuring) your story AFTER you’ve written probably makes most sense for you. That might sound like a strange order but once your genius is all over the page you can always move scenes around, or even cut and add sections to make it fit.

Pantsers usually start with a vague idea: maybe they have a brilliant premise; maybe they know the beginning and the end; or maybe they have nothing but a character who they want to follow, just to see what they do! Pantsers can’t be bothered with timelines and character profiles; they have an idea that’s so exciting they want to dive right in!

The brilliant thing about being a Pantser is that you’re totally free to follow your story wherever it leads! After all, characters tend to have a mind of their own. Pantsers usually find the whole process more fun – after all, every day is a surprise! But sometimes those rebellious characters lead you down the wrong path and it can be tricky to find your way back without a map.

A WORD OF ADVICE: if you get stuck, or think you’ve gone down a dead end, try sketching a general outline. Nothing too detailed or constricting. The Pixar Method might work well for you – just so you’re not wandering about, completely in the dark.

3 Likes

Awesome Hybrid!

You’re tough to pin down… You don’t like to be constricted by labels! Sure, you like to plan – but those plans could change at any moment. And yeah, it’s nice to have the security of being organized but it’s still fun to be surprised along the way. Right?

Hybrids usually start by plotting their novel, but it’s really more of a ‘guideline’. In a way, you have the best of both worlds: if you wander off the trail, you have a map to guide you back to the path. Of course, if you discover something amazing in the wilderness, you also have the flexibility and the creativity to draw a new map!

Yes, Hybrids may take longer to write a novel, as you might find yourself restructuring your plot many times, but you have the advantage of being able to anchor your story with strong plot points – and elevate it with flashes of inspiration!

A WORD OF ADVICE: if inspiration leads you in a different direction… go with it. See where it leads. But when it finally lets go of your hand, take a look at your plan and assess just how far off the path you’ve gone. Decide whether you want to keep following this new route, or track your way back to the original trail.

2 Likes

Efficient Plotter!

Result Image

You’re the kind of person who likes to have everything organized before you start. You’re not happy unless you know where you’re going and how to get there. ‘Winging it’ is just not in your nature, you like research, and you’d rather measure twice so you only have to cut once!

You should definitely plot your novel BEFORE you start writing.

Plotters generally enjoy the writing process a lot more when they have a detailed outline to follow. If working from a blueprint or an instruction manual sounds good to you, then you might want to start by thinking about worldbuilding, character profiling, plot structure, timelines, and any helpful research.
The great thing about being a Plotter is that, after all that brainstorming, you probably won’t find yourself suffering from writer’s block! And nothing should come as much of a shock when you’re ready to edit your first draft.

A WORD OF ADVICE: when you read your first draft, you might find that your plot feels a little formulaic and your characters a little flat. That’s the danger of ‘over-planning’ a novel. So don’t be afraid to go in a different direction if you get a good idea or if it feels more natural for your characters.

I am nothing like what been described :joy::joy:

2 Likes

2 Likes

im a hybrid… weird cuz i dont really plan stuff or like to

1 Like

Awesome Hybrid!

1 Like

I don’t even have to take that quiz to know that I’m absolutely a pantser. :joy:

Every single story I’ve written has ended up with some part that surprises me. A minor character who pushed their way into the spotlight all by themselves, unexpected aspects of the setting being developed mid-plot… I’ve even had a story that nearly doubled in length due to one small scene that I added. :joy:

I’ve never started a story anywhere other than the opening sentence. One of my longest stories, I had no idea where it was going when I put the pencil to the paper, and it just developed itself into a short series with ~5 spin-offs.

“But Scarlet,” you say, “Don’t you only finish like 4% of the stories you start?” Shhhhhhhh. :shushing_face:

3 Likes

i shouldnt be able to relate to this so much

3 Likes

Efficient plotter

1 Like

This is so me, except that I usually finish what I start. I love finishing projects, even if the outcome doesn’t make a lot of sense lol.

Loved the quiz, but I’m not surprised that I got pantser :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

That’s so me! The first sentence describes my whole life. :sweat_smile:

Screenshot_20190821_040019

1 Like

i got the same results!

1 Like

Awesome Hybrid

It doesn’t surprise at all. This sentence was so accurate that I thought are they spying on me :flushed:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.