Please add these to your story if possible

Ultimately it’s always the authors choice what to add and not add but if you can be considerate please do…

Please add trigger warnings to your story if required… if tour story is upsetting or could bring back trauma for someone please please please add trigger warnings and if possible add a skip option to skip scenes.

Speaking of skipping scenes please be considerate to those with things like epilepsy which can be triggered by flashing lights, seizures can be serious and in some cases life threatening. I am epileptic but my seizures are focal aware and I’m not triggered by flashing lights thankfully. But some people are so please add warnings for flashing lights but also the option to skip or better yet alternative version… it would be annoying to read a story half way and then not being able to continue due to a flashing lights scene with no skip/alternative for them to pass it by safely.

21 Likes

Thanks for sharing :wink: I will add warnings and a skip option if I decide to add flashing lights to my story

4 Likes

I’ll do the same (:

4 Likes

Thank you :slight_smile: I know it can be really difficult in some situations to add skip buttons in especially if it’s an important part of the story. But having a seizure is definitely not worth a person risking carrying on with it…

Also randomly but I’m 3 months seizure free :laughing::laughing: I have gone 10 months before so looking to break my record!!

5 Likes

Keep going! You’re doing great (:

1 Like

Awesome! (: You can do it!

1 Like

@M_H_C_Episode @juliewrites
Thank you 9 more months and I’ll be allowed to learn how to drive :grin:

1 Like

Good Luck! Wishing U Well! :partying_face:

1 Like

I wish you the same! :wink:

1 Like

@M_H_C_Episode @juliewrites
Thank you both xx

2 Likes

Your welcome, we’re here for u (:

1 Like

Not to detract from ur important point, but for authors that are still hesitant and thinking, “but this scene is really important! people can’t skip it!”… I’d say that MOST people aren’t going to, most people are going to watch the scene anyway. The people that are going to skip it are the people that need to, and otherwise they’re probably just going to close out of your story anyway

Or maybe do a version where there are no flashing lights but there’s a reader message saying, “Lights flashing”

1 Like

I get what you’re saying and while most people probably won’t skip it there are those small amounts of people that will and be thankful for the option to skip it. Both due to triggers revolving around trauma and medical conditions such as epilepsy. It’s not nice to be half way through a story and not being able to carry on for these reasons when a simple skip option or better still alternative version can be added.

There is also a way to code so that the reader can choose to turn flashing lights in/off I can’t find my coding for it but it’s on the fourm somewhere… I’ll try find it

2 Likes

absolutely, that’s what i meant! I mean that authors should be considerate of those people instead of being selfish about “oh, but it’s IMPORTANT” because most people are still going to read it! :sparkling_heart:

I’m not impacted by flashing lights but I find it so unnerving when pretty much every story does NOT contain a flashing lights warning at all. It isn’t that hard to add it to “this story contains music, coarse language, etc.”

1 Like

Can I just ask, does fade in & fade out in 1/2/3/4/etc… count as flashing to people who are affected by flashing lights? (:

Do you mean where it goes from a scene to black to the scene and black again? Or just fades out?

Flashing lights or images a rapid changes so for example of you went from one image to another image to another very fast it would be classed as a flashing image… if the change is slow or only medium that it wouldn’t be classed as flashing images… if that makes sense I’m not sure ha ha

2 Likes

Thank u so much for clarifying (:

Hallelujah! It’s not just me who has noticed the lack of consideration for people unable to tolerate flashing lights.
I’ve been saying it for so long now, and rarely seen anyone take it under advisement.

I’m not epileptic, yet in certain instances they make me really dizzy and feel faint. Not sure why lol. But I’ve seen so many people put persistent flashing scenes in stories with not even a warning.
I’ve recently had to abandon 2 separate stories I was beginning to read, in the first and third chapters, just because of too much flashing imagery. Both were promising stories and I was looking forward to reading them, but one had no warning and flashing that went on over two scenes. Another had a warning, but again went on a long time, with no option to skip, or read without flashing lights.

I know that some people just simply forget these kinds of things, but please, try not to, because for some people, it really is dangerous, and in the meantime, it takes just a few extra moments of coding.

Please note that when I refer to flashing images, I am not referring to brief transitions, or even a sudden quick transition where it’s like a quick flash, as both there are like blinking lol.

1 Like