Please help educate me on Native American culture!

Hi! I’ve been wanting to create a story on Native American culture and would love to be educated on it. As a black, I understand how very dislikable it is to be terribly misinterpreted by media and wouldn’t wish it on anybody else.

5 Likes

“A member of any of the indigenous peoples of North, Central, and South America.”

I really hope this helps, it surely helped me know what a Native American is, thanks to google.

• I’m still very confused
1 Like

Thanks, anything helps! :sweat_smile: :+1:t5:

First, look up tribes - pick a tribe and research that tribes history, stereotypes and historical figures, their beliefs, customs, language, names, area of their lands. Then look up modern day of that tribe- some of their customs are kept, others have fallen away or their tribe was wiped out by white people.

I knew a girl that was almost 100% Cherokee and she got to leave school to go to pow-wows and religious gatherings of her people and it was excused absences.

edit: Let me know what the tribe is and I can try to find some helpful sites, too. I’m close to ending my first story so I’ve got a little free time.

5 Likes

Well As A Native American, I Can Say The Worst Stereotype On Us That I’ve Heard Is That, People Think Of A Heavy-Set, Dumb Person, Who Does Drugs And Is A Pedophile When They Think Of Us. Also There Are Modern Native American’s I Don’t Know Why Nobody Thinks That, I Mean I Live In An Apartment And Have Lived In The City All My Life. We Do Get A Lot Of Benefits, Such As Free Health Care/Dental Care, Money From The Government, Etc. But To Get That You Must Be A Certain Percent Of Native Because If You Have Too Little Of A Percent You Won’t Recieve Benefits I Think.

That’s All I Can Think Of!!

BTW I’m An Alaska Native, More Precisely An Athabaskan!!

4 Likes

Off topic, but: That’s awesome. And yeah, there are a lot of stereotypes around Natives. The most offensive I’ve seen in person was people making an 0 with their mouths and using their hands to make “indian” sounds. I punched a girl for doing it- no shame, she was picking on my friend (the Cherokee native).

4 Likes

Thank you so much! I was also thinking Cherokee last night while I did a little research before going to sleep :sweat_smile:.

1 Like

I’m really sorry to hear that. And thank you for the information (not the stereotypes of course), I will be sure to include that! But may I ask what country you’re in?

1 Like

Wow. That’s really disgusting, and that girl seriously deserved a whooping.

3 Likes

She got that whooping, and I didn’t get in trouble once I explained to our principal why I hit her. :joy: She got suspended for bullying and harrassment of another student.

@JasmineHargreeves That’s a great start :smile: Definitely check out the “modern day” Cherokee nation as well.

2 Likes

Yess! :clap: sis deserved that.

Also yes, definetly. I was thinking about making the MC a demigod, almost like Percy Jackson and definetly inspired by Piper Mclean, but staying more true to the mythology.

1 Like

Here are some starter sites. Check out the reference posts at the bottom, too. You can usually find more in-depth articles that way.
2 Likes

Thank you so much :grin: :hugs:

1 Like

No problem, at all. It would be great to see more native american stories that are educated on the subject at hand. I think it’s great and definitely let me know if you do publish. I’d love to see it.

1 Like

Definetly!

1 Like

Okay so is this a good character design?

1 Like

or this?

I like #1s look and number 2’s hair but in black or a slightly darker brown? Cheyenne had dark brunette shade hair.

Of course, thank you!

1 Like

Your Welcome, And Thank You For Taking My Information Into Consideration, And I’m In America!!