Please help me write about different cultures!

Hey guys! I’m currently writing a story that is about a girl whos sent to a college that trains royalty and ladies in waiting. I want my story to contain many different cultures, so far I have a pair of dutch twins, a boy from Belgium, an Indian girl, a french girl, and a Japanese boy. The problem is I don’t want to portray anyone’s culture incorrectly or accidentally westernize it. I was wondering if you all would please help me out with this. If you could please tell me about your country, the culture, religion, clothing, food, language, and the type of monarchy. This would help me soooo much! (If you want to you can even drop your character details along with the culture of your country)

P.S you don’t have to tell me about the countries I’ve listed I’m interested in any country with a monarchy system whether its a figurehead or totalitarian.

3 Likes

I can tell you about greek culture if you want :smiley::smiley:

1 Like

Please do!

1 Like

Is there anything specific you want to know or should I just tell you about us in general?

I would love to know about the religion slang and the type of government! :slight_smile:

I’m Swiss but we do most things like the French in the French speaking part and speak the same language. You can DM me here or on insta (@ashleyswann_episode) if you need :two_hearts:

The only thing that’s completely different is our government but I studied compared law so I know quite a bit about the French gov if needed :wink:

As for indian you mean hindu culture?

1 Like

I’m from Belgium! I could help, what do you want to know?
And I know France pretty well too

1 Like

Christianity makes up 73% of the population of the island. Most Greek Cypriots, and thus the majority of the population of Cyprus, are members of the autocephalous Greek Orthodox (Church of Cyprus). We speak greek, it’s quite a hard language but it’s the most ancient one :grin:

1 Like

Yes!

Thank you!

1 Like

No problem! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would like to know about the monarchy there, the religious belifes and anything else you think would be important for me to know :slight_smile: :grin:

Oh But Im not indian nor hindu , still I can help you cuz Ik its culture . Text me on insta , firefly.epi

1 Like

So, Belgium is a Kingdom (we have a King, no president). The majority of the population is Christian (+/- 60%), but they are not really “religious”, meaning they don’t particularly go to church every Sunday, or pray before eating or sleeping. For the most part, they are Christian bc their parents were.

Beligum is divided into three regions: Flemish, Wallonia and Brussels-Capital.

Flanders: part of Belgium where they speak Dutch.
Wallonia: speak French
Brussels: speak every language possible lol (very cosmopolitan city fr)

There are three communities: Flemish, Wallon and a small German-speaking Community, but it is verrry small.
So, Belgium has three officials languages: Dutch, French and German.

I couldn’t even to describe how the government works because it is REALLY REALLY complicated bc there are six governments (made up with the regions I quoted above and the communities). communities are the same as the regions, but they have different powers, but as I said i couldn’t even explain it to you bc it’s too complex :hot_face:.

Belgium is “divided” : Wallonia and Flanders are basically two different countries. Flemish politicians don’t really like Wallonia and would like to be independent from it for different reasons. But there really is a difference between the two. Walloons may seem nicer and more than Flemish ppl. Flemish people are more cold, strict and law-abiding citizen. For example, in Flanders there are a lot of city where you can’t make noise until a certain hours. If you do, the neighbors will call the police on you, no joke. In general (ofc not EVERYone) but Flesmish don’t like Walloons too much and vice-versa. In French we even have an insult “flamand” which literally translate to Flemish.

Belgian specialty: fries!! (I don’t even understand why they’re called French fries lol), chocolate (:heart_eyes:), mussels and beer. Belgian people are biiig beer drinkers and there a looot of différent Belgian beers.

I think that’s all :joy: if you need anything else, just ask :slight_smile:

PS: Als een Vlaams persoon zie mijn post: ik heb niets tegen jou lol, ik verklaar juist hoe de werkelijkheid van België is

1 Like

I can if you need a Danish perspective

1 Like

Thank you so much!!!

Please do!

1 Like

Please do