Plot line tips and strategies

It’s been practically a year since I’ve updated any of my stories (minus the co-written story I have currently) and I have considered discontinuing them seeing as I was in a different head space at that time but I just can’t stop feeling guilty for having 3 stories and not finishing a single one.
Now I have started jotting down themes, scenes and relationships on paper and working on weaving them together just to get my brain stimulated and in the mood.

What do you guys do to create a meaningful plot line that keeps YOU THE AUTHOR interested in continuing to write?

6 Likes

Moved to Share Feedback since this is about story ideas. Make sure to check out our Forum Tutorial for more info about creating topics, and feel free to PM me if you’ve got questions. :wink:

1 Like

Since I was a kid, I’ve always loved daydreaming. I find myself daydreaming about my plot and stories all the time and it just keeps me thinking about them even when I’m not sitting down to write. Music is also hugely helpful to me - I have playlists for every story and sometimes even every chapter. Listening to a song that reminds me of my vision for a particular scene always revives my desire to write it!

3 Likes

How do you keep track of your thoughts and ideas?

1 Like

I have a notebook where I write down bits and pieces, but most of it is in my head to be honest! I know that’s shocking to some people but it’s always worked for me :slight_smile:

I’ve heard some good things about plotfactory.com if that interests you! It’s supposed to be great if that’s how your brain works. Unfortunately for me, my mind is all over the place :joy:

2 Likes

Lol I took a class with script writing and both of the editors looked at me and said, “You’re vomiting on the page, pick an idea and stick with it.” :joy:
Its not the plot inspiration I struggle with its the “I’m in the middle of the story and I don’t know where to go next” problem.
Kudos to keeping everything in your brain.

2 Likes

I do the exact same thing! All I do is daydream and think about random scenes playing in my head especially while listening to music. :eyes:

2 Likes

Yay! I’m happy I’m not the only crazy one :joy: I have a general outline written down but everything else happens in my head. I’ve never had a problem with it!

2 Likes

I use https://www.storyplanner.com/

2 Likes

Oh. I’m gonna look at this. What do you like about that site?

1 Like

Oh, I like the fact that it has outlines, story structures, etc. It’s either they rate it hard or easy but I’ll challenge myself to see if I can do it. Story planner tells you how much time it takes for example 25 minutes, 30minutes, or maybe not all? I can also save it and edit if I want to! :heart:

1 Like

I’ll definitely take a look at that. Thank you!

1 Like

What do you guys do to create a meaningful plotline that keeps YOU THE AUTHOR interested in continuing to write?
Well, I do the same thing as @julianne7, and @GennieG said but I also write everything down on my computer and notebook which gets mess sometimes but I write down every event and personality.
I write down the personality on my notebook and the scenes and dialogue on google docs and I separate all of my stories .

@Annie_BeauTy I too struggle with the middle of the story.
I know my ending of the story but not the middle – it’s hard to explain I know want to add it’s just different with coding I don’t know if that makes sense.
But, I definitely love the idea @GennieG https://www.storyplanner.com I just checks the website I like how everything is line up will definitely be continuing to use this for my story and future ones

3 Likes

YES. Omg you get it! I have epic finales but I’m like… “how do I get there?”

1 Like

Yes, it sucks I don’t why I struggle with the middle :disappointed_relieved: :disappointed_relieved:
I’m just going to take longer in published my story because I don’t want to mess up or have it incomplete it

1 Like

Unfortunately its why I still have 3 incomplete stories but I’m going to finish at least 1 by the end of the year. I’m determined!

1 Like

Me too well, I’m working on a new one but I will revamping one of my old stories next year.
I’m taking a break from it and working on a new one.

1 Like

Ah! good luck!

1 Like

Well, I can relate to you so much but usually when I’m thinking of a certain idea or a scene it’s sometimes trash but I still write it down just in case it comes in handy. I’ll just change it and make it better later.

2 Likes

Yeah i do the same.

2 Likes