Plot or directing?

Out of interest, which do you think is better?

Having a rubbish plot but the most amazing directing or having the best plot but very very simple directing?? (The simple directing would still flow well)

Not trying to criticise anyone here.

4 Likes

Definitely the second one. If I don’t like a story than there’s no point in reading it no matter how cool it may look.

7 Likes

Both. I can’t pick one :joy:

2 Likes

I, personally, would rather have a great plot with simple directing over great directing and a messy disjointed plot with 1000 sub-plots.

Yes, directing well does enhance a story --but that’s all it’s supposed to do. It, in my opinion, doesn’t make up for a rubbish plot.

5 Likes

Great plot with simple directing. It’s the plot that matters for me. :joy:

3 Likes

For me it’s all about the plot of a story, so I would say he second option. :see_no_evil: If a story has good directing, but a bad plot, then I wouldn’t continue it. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

I don’t think there is an episode story with the first because as your ability to create your plot gets better along side your ability to direct!!

3 Likes

Moved to Episode Fan Community since this isn’t about story ideas or reviews. Make sure to check out our Forum Tutorial for more info about creating topics, and feel free to PM me if you’ve got questions. :smiley:

2 Likes

Plot and Directing for me. I always think of a good plot to easily narrow it down as I write and direct. Making sure the directing is good and it’s a bit realistic. I don’t need to be perfect. Heck no one is. Writing and directing is just what I want to do for fun, and letting readers enjoy my story. That’s all that matters to me. Directing doesn’t have to be all superb, just do what you feel comfortable in doing.

2 Likes

Best plot simple directing. I’ve been a reader since 2016, and as I’ve watched episode grow I’ve seen how plots have become garbage at the expense of good directing. Personally, I think a good plot should matter more if you want the reader to keep reading. I’ve seen excessive directing before with too many zooms, too much constant movement, and dry dialogue. Looking at most stories now gives me a headache and it’s honestly just an eyesore. Episode already has a problem with the same copy and paste plots, and although they have great directing they are all so BORING. Go for a great plot.

4 Likes

Oh, I seriously agree with you. I’ve been on episode since 2014, and seeing the development of each story has just gotten worse and worse. I deleted episode and re-downloaded it recently hoping things would change, but the lack of originality is still the same. I’m really hoping for a wave of better stories to appear.

3 Likes

And yeah, I prefer simple directing and a good plot. To me, it doesn’t matter how amazing the directing is if the plot is bad. I will lose interest and drop it.

3 Likes

I’d rather have the plot. When the directing isn’t special, there’s nothing to point out, good or bad. It just is, and Episode is the vessel to tell a story.

2 Likes

Plot but the writing would also have to be decent enough to support it. I know spotlight isn’t everyone’s cup of tea; but I think the format is perfect for writers looking to put less emphasis on their directing and more on their literary skills. In fact, I almost want to say that for strong writers, especially those fluent in narration, that’s the style where you could truly shine. I really love Kheyr’s spotlight-esc stories Black Heliconia and The Ghost Masquerade. I pray they get more recognition as they truly explemplify the term visual novel, being able to deliver both unique, engaging visuals and a solid voice.

2 Likes

My take is that a lot of writers feel pressured to use advanced directing because the top user stories all have incredible overlays, complex branching, custom backgrounds, tappables, etc. Newer writers then get the impression they must have flashy directing for their story to be “good.” I’m sure I fall into this category to some extent (someday, I will publish an Episode story), but I’m not going to be the best director out there. I just want to write a funny story with a coherent plot!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.