POC Problems in the episode community

:clap:t6::clap:t6:

On another note, I’m kind of torn on using certain skintones.

The only struggle that light-skinned (me) POC have is choosing the right skin-tone for self-inserts or just an avatar for yourself.

I don’t want to make my avatar darker than I actually am, but also not super light because then I’d feel like I’m white-washing myself.

I just use Olive for INK. Thank goodness for the new LL skintones, Copper 1/2 are absolutely perfect since they have a yellowish/light olive look that I have. :roll_eyes:

Other than that, we have it pretty good privilege wise lmfao. Sucks.

4 Likes

Do you like Comics ?

I LOVE what you said.

“POC have to deal with racism, colorism and alienation from a dominant white society. Why the hell should they “wait” for something that should be rightfully implemented in the first place? Why should they go out of their way and waste time to “educate” on your ignorance, when you have the proper tools and resources to do it yourself? They already got tons on their plate. Don’t be surprised if they’re harsh or blunt in frying you in this aspect.“
^thank you for this. There should never be an obligation to teach others what can be self researched. Our time is valuable too and doesn’t have to be spent educating everybody about our struggles and trying to convince them of our human worth. I’m always down for educating if the person is willing to listen, but it should never be demanded of us like we don’t have other things to do with our time. The average POC spends way too much valuable time in their life having to school non-POC on basic principles of human rights that should already be afforded to everybody in the first place.

And just to be clear, I am speaking in general and am not shading anybody in this community.

8 Likes

Honestly Idc anymore if people feel shaded about criticism.

Like if they think I’m referring to them, let them be shaded (idk if thats a word but you know what I mean) :joy::joy::joy: I have little to no patience for ridiculous excuses anymore. Unless I’m being paid, people should learn themselves or gtfo

2 Likes

Don’t get me started on comics, I’m a massive Bat nerd :sob::sob::sob:

1 Like

Based on your differents posts and this fact, I propose you an indefinite period friendship contract starting now.

5 Likes

HA, my story (Thrill of the Hunt) is a detective/psychological mystery thriller, and at this point by Chapter 12 I’m not gonna be subtle with references anymore.

BFFs for lief~

1 Like

Link please :nerd_face:

I would hope my story is decent when it comes to diversity, back to the topic. As I said in another post, when it comes to the goons, mooks and “villains”, there is a pattern of using the most overused features that writers in Episode make :rofl: (Eurocentric). I’m somewhat surprised no one noticed: like the Batman series (Arkham games for example), almost all of them are goofy and not the brightest crayon in the box. Some of them outright abhor the MC too, for catching them doing illegal shit.

On another note, and perhaps branching through this topic, I can think of some popular stories that have POC as major antagonists (not gonna name them, again, but some of them are sometimes considered ‘diverse’, which is anything but.)

It bothers me, because it’s not so much a problem if you want them to be the bad guy, no matter how abhorrent. What I DO see is that they’re the ONLY POC (dark-skinned people especially) who are unlikeable. And if they aren’t the only POC, it can be the ONLY darkskinned POC in the entire story.

Am I the only one who sees this in some stories?

4 Likes

am i the only one who’s noticed that in a lot of stories, the only colored character is the only LGBT+ character?

5 Likes

I noticed that too. Same with some Muslims. It’s either they’re part of it or don’t have a lover whatsoever

3 Likes

exactly

1 Like

Fr though.

Guys, please stay on topic or this thread will be locked.

1 Like

Really? I always see it with non POC

a lot of the stories i read have only got lgbt characters who are poc so there’s basically little to no diversity

5 Likes

if ur writing a story and u randomly slap races and skin colours on people as a last minute attempt to include p.o.c but make them act totally white/western + have nothing in their character background that correlates to their ethnicity then is the story you’re writing really diverse

coughs episode originals coughs

8 Likes

:clap:t5: :sneezing_face:

So I saw someone promoting their story (on a thread that was for sharing stories with POC main characters/ POC orientated) saying it has POC main character and is LGBT (awesome) but also mentions that the MC is customisable and idk it kind of rub me the wrong way.

I’m not a POC but I do come from a discriminated race so I understand representation is important but like feel free to correct me if I’m being overly sensitive.

2 Likes