POC Problems in the episode community

As a mixed race girl, I personally disagree that cultural appropriation is always bad. I believe it CAN be bad when people try to take claim over a culture that didn’t belong to them.

However, sharing and merging cultures is the way we can grow and change as a society. Cultural appreciation often gets called appropriation and people get called out for liking minorities’ cultures and wanting to be part of them.

In reality, I think that merging cultures is one of the best ways to kill racism. This “us against them” mentality creates a divide in society. That includes barring people from participating in cultural things just because they weren’t born into it. A lot of racism comes from fear, after all, so cultural cohesion is a great way to show that we’re not that different after all.

14 Likes

I’d also like to point out struggles faced by a lot of mixed race women, like me. We’re often told we’re black, forcing us to deny a whole half of our identity. However, the interesting thing is that a lot of black people see their privilege over us and use it against us. We aren’t “real” black people. We are “too white”. It’s funny, because when I point this out, I get gaslighted too - by the same people fighting for their own equality.

7 Likes

Cultural appropriation is always bad and should never be confused with cultural appreciation or cultural fusion. She’s not talking about cultural appreciation right now. The topic is on cultural appropriation. Cultural appropriation is not about one group of people claiming sole ownership to something. There are far more layers to that.

Here are some articles to check because I’m not going to debate with anybody about what these definitions are. Just dropping facts.

This article gives a great break down in the differences between appropriation and appreciation

Also this…

17 Likes

Thank you, everyone. I had no idea that such a problem exists, or that it goes in such deep levels, thanks for telling me.

3 Likes

As I said, appreciation often gets mixed with appropriation.

There are also tonnes of articles countering this, showing that cultural appropriation can be a good thing when done properly. I’m not gonna argue with confirmation bias.

@ChaoticDeluge

1 Like

Just in case you wanted to know: confirmation bias is when you actively seek out evidence that proves your points but never things that counter it. It’s easy to live in a bubble when you don’t consider other facts and try to pass a HIGHLY debated term among SCHOLARS as a definitive fact.

4 Likes

Show me an article where cultural appropriation is described as a good thing. I’m not talking about the articles in which the actual definition is dismissed. The definition in itself isn’t positive so what you’re saying is quite curious. Again, what you’ve said is good appears to be more appreciation.

The basic definition in the Oxford dictionary:
“the unacknowledged or inappropriate adoption of the customs, practices, ideas, etc. of one people or society by members of another and typically more dominant people or society.”
You are really telling me that there are articles in which this is explained positively? Really? Because I’ve seen articles calling appropriation positive in which evidence and the definition is ignored so that an entirely self made definition is used. Please, oh please tell me when an unacknowledged or inappropriate adoption of customs is positive.

You don’t need to give a definition on confirmation bias. You’ve demonstrated that well enough in your own past behavior. The entire nerve. Lmao.

8 Likes

Do you need me to continue?

2 Likes

Thanks to stay on the topic.

POC representation in Episode, struggles, stereotypes etc…

You can share your parodic videos in PM.

4 Likes

You’re the only one who’s displayed confirmation bias. I gave my opinion and you were entirely rude and dismissive of it. Confirmation bias. Stop projecting. You’ve been rude unnecessarily.

3 Likes

Confirmation bias summed up in one quote.

1 Like

Please stay on topic so the thread is still open.
@ShanniiWrites How does culture appreciation applies to the episode community?

5 Likes

Personally, I’d love to see more characters - white and minority - embracing other cultures! What better way to educate people about the fact that we’re all not so different? You can even have characters describing cultures in terms that the readers might understand. That’s why I’m against the demonisation of cultural appropriation and for the education of the history behind cultural points

6 Likes

Sometimes my white friends - often accused of appropriation - are better when it comes to helping other white people understand my culture than I am.

1 Like

“It’s easy to live in a bubble when you don’t consider other facts and try to pass a HIGHLY debated term among SCHOLARS as a definitive fact.” <-you

It’s funny how you always claim you’re just being blunt and can’t understand when you’re being rude to others and yet you somehow are sensitive enough to not only understand when somebody is being rude to you in your own perception, but completely ignore your own prior rudeness. I guess you’re allowed to roll over everybody else but nobody is allowed to treat you the way you treat others, huh?

As you have problems acknowledging parts of sentences you don’t like, let’s try this again. I specifically brought up the fact that articles spinning cultural appropriation positively entirely ignore the definition of cultural appropriation in order to put their own spin on it, and all you did was give me articles that did exactly that. Those people who wrote those articles are showing confirmation bias. Show me a relevant and unbiased article. You can’t because they don’t exist. We can continue in DMs but there really isn’t any point.

But to stay on topic, here is a perfect example of struggles of POC particularly within this community. Division among POC. It’s hard enough to get people to even listen to our issues and take them seriously without other members in the POC community speaking up to actively work against their own interests. We’ll never get anywhere on this.

11 Likes

Mate. Every single time we talk, you start it. I’m minding my own business sharing my opinion bluntly but not rudely and you come with your rude behaviour and then don’t expect me to respond? Grow up.

3 Likes

What I said had nothing to do with you. You didn’t need to respond so passive aggressively. But you do. You always do.

I was polite. I simply said I disagree and explained why. You’re the one who feels the need to turn this into an argument every time. Which is hilarious because most of the time it’s clear you don’t even get what I’m saying.

1 Like

Where was I being rude first in this thread to you? I was just discussing with you my disagreement. Why are you so sensitive and yet can’t give other people the same courtesy?

2 Likes