POC Problems in the episode community

I’m writing a story that takes place in Africa. I’m not the best educated about it so can I PM you if I have questions?

2 Likes

Sure.

I’m a proud Ivoirian girl. I will help you the best I can.

1 Like

I’m glad you brought that up. It reallly bothers me when they say “I’m going to Africa” ( please specify where) or when in a show casting white people ( I have nothing against white people that’s just how it is generally) show them in Africa and all they talk about or show are the cases, the wild animals, there isn’t electricity, WIFI, nor there are hospitals(they show pregnant women giving birth in the savana or else) the Africans also are most of the time dumb, they never talk French or another language, they never went to school and ect. I know they are all that in Africa but can’t they just show that they are also hospitals, restaurants, shops,…

4 Likes

Exactly, you feel like your second best… but some aspects of your culture isn’t. Some people just completely disregard the history and the symbol behind it, and completely white wash it. :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

Toi même tu sais, Ouelman.
On est là.

We matter ! We are more than just “Africa”.

We are Motherland. Full of differents countries and wonderful cultures.

2 Likes

OMG so glad you brought that up. I have been watching Nigerian movies and though some of them take place in a village a lot take place in a city, like the ones in America… I hope that the next generation isn’t just told that the continent Africa is a wasteland.

2 Likes

Personally, I think it’s a lot easier to explain to someone who’s appropriated culture that they’re using things which are intrinsically linked to a different culture than it is to make people who are told off for appropriation understand others

1 Like

This girl went to Africa this summer holiday, and she was like there won’t be enough water for us. Lmao I was howling, and told her to educate herself, she claimed water aid was the problem… no in reality she was to ignorant to see the truth and how uneducated she is.

5 Likes

It’s easier to say “hey! You know that thing you like? It was invented by… and this is the history” than it is to say “stop appropriating and start appreciating”

2 Likes

Omg.

I agree, I have no problem with someone embracing other cultures, but there are some people out there completely choosing not to appreciate the history behind it. :heart:

3 Likes

Je t’assure.

I always wonder why they always show the bad things an not what all the wonderful things that we have.
Why they always make Africa seem like it’s a country and not a continent.
Why they must always make Africa seem like somewhere populated by wild animals, dumb people, and that we always seem to give birth in a savana or else?? Excuse me but non of the people I know ever gave birth there. Even in my village there are hospitals where people go give birth etc.
Why they never show our beautiful cities, shops, the architecture is sometimes just mindblowing. All the structures I can’t even…

Just WHY???!!

2 Likes

I personally want to say thank you. That’s ridiculous :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

African people are everywhere!

On isle. On Europe. In Africa of course.

There are more than African Americans.

Our cultures and words and everything will be different based on where we live.

We are not just this or that.

6 Likes

Lmao I know right, some also think India is a country with slum houses, and people humping to make a billion children… in reality there is so much people in that one place, coming from different social statuses, who have different wages from other etc. Africa is a huuuggeeee continent, obviously with a huge population, I guess stereo types play a big part in this issue. :heart:

3 Likes

Mais c’est ça !
Toujours !

If they are not showing just the worst part of Africa they are not happy.

Ça veut dire quoi ça ?!
Tchiiiiip.

2 Likes

completely off topic

I wish I payed attention in french class.

4 Likes

I’m gonna teach you, little Parisian guys are cute over there. :joy::+1:t5::wink:

3 Likes

Lmao, I remember un deux, I forot the rest… my fave is swimming because my teacher makes it sound really weird like pissing? And she has a heavy Irish accent… oh lord, where I’m from we haven’t really got an accent.

1 Like

Duolingo is a saviour for that kinda thing

1 Like