POC Problems in the episode community

I think learning from a Francophone person is really better.

2 Likes

Personally, I’d say start off with duo to get the basics. Then, francophones will help you progress SO MUCH. Most beginner French can be learnt on your own… especially grammar stuff. From my EFL course, I can safely say that native speakers struggle to teach beginners a language, but help intermediates and above!

French is the easiest language of the 4 languages I speak honestly. :anguished:

AND TO STAY ON TOPIC, I read a lot of French good stories on the app, it made me smile.

That an app can have a great community with people from all around the world.
That’s diversity.

1 Like

That’s so funny! I speak French fluently and am pretty good at Japanese (although the written side is hell), and I think that Japanese is easier to speak :joy:

Japanese was indeed easy but I started very young so… 🤷🏾

I really hate seeing the term African-American being misused as a broad term for all black people. There’s history behind that sadly.

At least here in America, because people (mainly within white society) associate “black” with all of the negative stereotypes you could think of and thus become uncomfortable with the word black. African-American is then used as an euphemism and thoughtlessly applied to all black people. By doing so, the identities of all the different types of black people end up getting stripped away and we’re all turned into a monolith. It’s a form of denying the diversity and different cultures within the black community (mostly this is done unconsciously but the impact is the same). There is nothing wrong with calling black people black. It’s not an insult. What’s more insulting is turning us into one giant monolith and assuming that everybody is African-American and there are no differences between our cultures. Like we’re just one giant collective with zero individuality or identity.

African-American is fine if you’re actually talking about African-Americans. But like you said, we need to remember that there are other black people in this world and their experiences are valid.

15 Likes

Korean \o/

No way! That’s where I plan to venture next - although the sounds confuse and scare me. The writing system seems fun!

1 Like

That’s so sad.

Like nobody knows about Caribbean people ?
Or Black Latinos/Latinas ?

5 Likes

I’d like to put it out there: i have no affiliation whatsoever with the country, but I’d LOVE a story set in Morocco

1 Like

The weather is crazy ! OMG.

I thought I was burning.
I couldn’t even cry. IT WAS TOO HOT !

3 Likes

I bet! The culture seems absolutely beautiful though. Someone capturing that well would be… magic

2 Likes

They know (at least about Caribbean people. People are still learning that there’s such a thing as black Latinxs) but I don’t think it really connects in their minds? I’ve seen people insist on calling people directly from African countries African-American instead of black. I think it all just boils down to associating the word black with something negative, and that’s the problem people need to address first.
I’ve also noticed that people have a tendency to use the term POC when talking about issues exclusive to the black community instead of the word black. This can also cause confusion since the term POC embodies so many different groups of people. It really is ok to say the word black. What isn’t ok are all of the negative connotations people attach to the word black.

7 Likes

:thinking::thinking::thinking: I see…

But what is with our insistence on calling everything “black”? Why are Meghan Markle and Barak Obama considered black when they’re mixed race? That means they get 50% of genes from both sides. What about anything in between white and black? Where do we fit?

3 Likes

I don’t know for you over here but-

In France, mixed people are proud to be mixed, le course, but always claim to be part of the black community.
It’s cultural. 🤷🏾

I call myself brown, but it’s not really something that’s caught on. Sadly, we can suffer discrimination from both sides. I can’t count the amount of people who have called me “coolie” in a derogatory way because I’m not fully Jamaican. And the Indian side? I got chucked out of a wedding cos no one wanted to touch me… at the age of 3!!!

The oppressed becoming the oppressors

3 Likes

People often seem to forget the struggles of people who don’t identify as black or East Asian (lazily referred to as simply Asians… like India isn’t in Asia or something)

That’s really sad honestly. :pensive:

Once was told I am not a “real Asian” -_- despite Bangladeshi being in the continent Asia :confused:

4 Likes