Pointless things taught in school!

Most things in school, we learn that doesn’t really come in handy in real life but just means your clever and have skills.
Like mental maths, WHY? well, yeah its so you can train your brain but own teachers always say its useful to learn because in the future you might not have a phone! THE FUTURE! Im pretty sure that nearly every one on Earth will have a phone WITH A CALCULATOR
:joy:

You guys have any?

10 Likes

As someone who has been out of school for many years. I have not used algebra once.

5 Likes

like we learn to do tax in my math class and no one needs that here cause the government do it for us

also, we had religion class despite we are one of the least religious countries in the world

also i was top of my class in math but i have not done math in years a few weeks ago when i tried to a picece in my head i could not even remeber how. it was not even hard

4 Likes

I needed to learn a language in school and to me it was completly point less because only that little part of my country spoke it. however most of those people even speak dutch so I don’t really get it

2 Likes

as a person who speak four languages and sign landguage i would say it is a usefull skill

2 Likes

wow ok… :joy: we do sooooooo much

2 Likes

Have the things we learn in maths we’ll never need in life like functions, algebra, vectors, and matrices

4 Likes

Mixing Kraft Mac and Cheese power packets into a glass of milk

1 Like

maybe but if you say: can you say it in dutch ? then they can speak it aswell. I don’t need it for jobs/ I never used it in the next classes (only for one year) the elders (wich was the reason why they wanted to teach us this they wanted to make it easier for them or something) all speak dutch and that language and they really don’t care if you can’t speak it. so yeah I just didn’t saw the point in it.

1 Like

Anything. The only thing I have learned is how to cry silently and deal with snakes

3 Likes

Idk… I used to think there was a bunch of dumb pointless things taught in school, I’m thinking of like science stuff mostly, but nowadays, people saying there’s like 63288274638191048466261829 genders… Um… I don’t think it is pointless anymore. Who knows what else we used to think was pointless but actually became really important. I don’t wanna take any more chances ^^

3 Likes

I’ve taken algebra, geometry, and calculus, and there hasn’t been a single day where I needed to use what I’ve learned from these classes.

2 Likes

Mental to me isnt useless, it keeps you quick thinking not all the time you will get to use a calculator…
like if you work in retail on the till doing a promotion refund.

But algebra was :sob:

2 Likes

MATH! Everybody doesn’t need to learn advance math such as Pre cal (I taking that now in high school), calculus, and statistics. Unless a person wants to become an engineer, accountant, a doctor and etc, then they have to know advanced math. Other than that, majority of people could care less about learning calculus and other hard advanced math subjects.

1 Like

All I need to know is basic math and how to count money; that’s all I need to know about math.

2 Likes

Spanish.

1 Like

That is to say you get that far. As an introvert and a visual learner school was hell for me. I had to try and learn in a system that literally constantly worked against me. Between public speeches and long lectures I just couldn’t keep up. And furthermore you are punished for not being able to learn that way by being told you’re dumb and literally having your future put at jeopardy. Not to mention the favoritism that goes to the “popular kids” from teachers who sadly still value that sort of thing. You are forced into a social hierarchy of kids and they pretend like the students are the one’s enforcing it and yet prom kings and queens are a public aknowlogement by the school that “popular people” are better than everyone else. They give you tons of homework then scold you for staying up so late. If you are an introvert they go out of their way to “fix” you rather than understanding that you don’t function that way. They don’t try to adapt to diffrent learning styles. They don’t try to make the material intresting for you. Then when you fail the test because your tired and you don’t understand the material, your just a bad student.

5 Likes

I think it depends on what career path you’ll choose that effects whether things you’ve learnt are useless or not. For example if you want to be an engineer, a lot of the things you learn in maths is not pointless at all. I thought that a lot of things I was doing in school were so pointless so I never really paid much attention to lessons. Now that I’m in university, I realised I should’ve been paying more attention because now I’m a mess lol

4 Likes

Poetry like WHY I ain’t becoming no poet

1 Like

I do think there are many things are useless to us, but its kinda unavoidable. Many of those trivial things are actually teaching us how to learn, and the skills are applicable in other areas. Plus most school systems deal with such a large number of people they can’t possible know what will be important to us when often we don’t even know yet. I think their main goal is to provide a variety of knowledge.

2 Likes