Poll : 10 or Ten

Minor question to readers and authors.

When reading stories, do you have a preference of how numbers are typed out?

Disclaimer : I’m talking about numbers like between 1-100.

• “Ten”
  • “10”
  • No Preference

0 voters

It’s a pet hate of mine. I have to spell the numbers :see_no_evil: even when a character is telling the time lol

5 Likes

it’s the same for me. I’m glad I’m not the only one xD

2 Likes

I guess it depends on how they do it? Like when giving time, I don’t mind numbers, but I usually stick to the rule taught to me in school- the numbers one through ten are spelled like such. And anything over ten is put as a number. If I had to choose between the two, I’d probably choose written out, however.

8 Likes

I always wondered if that bothered people… for me it doesn’t matter.

i don’t have a preference but it has to stay that way the whole story or else it genuinely makes me mad lmao

1 Like

Thank you everyone for your feedback!
I’ll make sure to pass this along to the author I’m helping.

I’ll leave this thread open for a day or so to gather more input

Agree 100% (not one hundred percent :grinning:)

1 Like

I’m the same way. When I write my story I tell people what time it is to give a timeline of the day. So I put the time in number form and if I am writing like one person at a time dialogue box. I write the number out. It bothers me sometimes when I see the only the number version when I’m reading stories. Though usually it I don’t care.

1 Like

Grammatically, it should be “ten”. However, some people say numbers over either twenty or one hundred should be written as numbers.

My English teacher once said it’s grammatically incorrect to write numbers instead of spelling them out. However, I’d say many exceptions can be made when writing on a visual platform like Episode :woman_shrugging:t5:

1 Like

Most of the time I write the number out. The only exception might be for codes. For example, I had a license plate number I wanted people to remember so I used the actual numbers there as I felt it would be cleaner and easier to remember. But nine times out of ten, I prefer to actually spell the word out. In an actual book the word would be spelt out, so why not on Episode?

2 Likes