POLL: Incorrect English

Who would have expected me to make another poll?
Anyway, Here’s our question this time:
How much does it bother you to see grammar, spelling, or general mistakes in English when reading a story?

• It’s a total turn off for a story.
  • It bothers me a lot, but it won’t stop me from reading a story.
  • It bothers me a little, but I try to ignore it.
  • It doesn’t really bother me at all.
  • I have mistakes of my own, so who am I to judge?
  • Other- comment below!

0 voters

Personally, I absolutely despise English mistakes- that includes those I make myself! I’m a stickler when it comes to English grammar and spelling.
So, if you need a proofreader or just have a question, please ask!
xo

14 Likes

I hate misspelling errors so much, just not having a period at the end of a sentence makes me click off of the story, ughhhhh.

10 Likes

Same here- once in a rare while I’ll continue the story, but it bothers me so damn much.
Any recommendations of stories with decent English?

5 Likes

It doesn’t bother me, and I have mistakes of my own.

5 Likes

I know right? I’ve read a lot of stories that are so perfectly written, like “Iridescent” “365 (To Find Love)” it’s harder to find stories that have good grammar in another genre, I mostly read mystery or comedy. :woman_shrugging:t2:

6 Likes

To many people care to much about grammar. some fell like a simple missing punktion is enough to leave a good story. its a detail I cant see why is importen .

a lot of english people dont understand how hard we not english people have it with english. I like to see them write in a second landguage

3 Likes

grammar mistakes have never really bothered me, especially small ones. whenever i make mistakes myself, i always try to fix them.

2 Likes

My first language is not English, so there’s that, please don’t assume, a lot of native English speakers can be really bad at punctuation too, I’ve tried really hard to learn the best I can, I’ve only been speaking English for almost 3 years, it matters to me, I’m not saying that it should matter to you, and I’m sorry if you found my comment offensive, just my opinion. :woman_shrugging:t2:

13 Likes

Grammar issues I can ignore and a few spelling mistakes. When sentences don’t make sense, that’s when it starts to become a turn off.

19 Likes

I don’t really mind punctuation mistakes but grammatical mistakes trigger me a lot

Like there’s a super popular author on Episode whose stories have poor directing and even worse grammar. Seriously, please learn that her is used for females and his is used for males :woman_facepalming:

6 Likes

Yes. But as someone who reads literature and appreciates well-written stories, it’s quite difficult to fully appreciate one that lacks that aspect.
I speak three languages, and am learning more.
I get it. It’s pretty difficult to be fluent, especially when those around you speak it as their native tongue.
However, I’ve seen many writers who speak English with poor grammar.
Plus, it’s not so difficult to find a proofreader.
The flow of a language can be beautiful, and it helps enhance the story a tremendous amount.
The lack of that flow is a turn off for some people.
:v:

11 Likes

I hate when people say, for example, “Your smart”
I get so mad lol, no offense.

4 Likes

feels!

1 Like

Attention: the tea has been spilled. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

Just had to put that here :laughing:

1 Like

I read pretty fast so most of the time it doesn’t bother me. As long as it’s understand able, I have no reason to leave the story.

I do have a pet peeve when it comes to texting lingo though. I strongly dislike when the character says 'I’ll brb." or ‘rn? Seriously?’ Too much of these and I’ll probably stop reading.

8 Likes

I know! Do you usually say “Not rn” when talking to people in real life?

5 Likes

My first language is British English and I hate American English spelling and bad spelling in general and they both really p*ss me off

3 Likes

sourry :wink:

Does it bother other British readers that you know of?
If you’re an American and you’re reading this, does British spelling bother you?
I can change my story’s spelling to British spelling.
I grew up on mostly British literature as well.

3 Likes

For me. It’s a mix of all. I can get passed them, but if it’s spelling errors, and bad punctuation every line of dialogue it will bother me. If I can understand what the author meant then I’ll look passed it.

Although since being a reviewer I usually just write down all of the errors and fix them, and give it to the author lol.

7 Likes