POLL: Incorrect English

Yeah there is a thread on it

1 Like

send the link!

I’m British, and on my story there was a lot of punctuation error and spelling errors.
I tried a lot of the time to use Google to help me spell and I have gone over a lot of my episodes to include punctuation (on the back of a review, plus it really needed it.)
I’m not great at punctuation and I have dyselixa, so I know my story has these errors and will probably always have the one maybe here and there no matter how much I go over it, but if I do read a story and it’s so many mistake I mean each sentence for example I will not really continue. But if I’m into a story and there spelling errors, like not every sentence I will continue :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I don’t judge, cause I’m italian, now I know the english very very well. But I can still make errors in my stories so…

4 Likes

I’m one of those readers that like to read stories that have deep character development and beautiful use of language. It’s an art itself to write, and I just can’t get invested if I can’t understand the authors voice. Like if I was writing in another language, I would do the best I can and get beta readers to ensure that the readers can understand my story.

6 Likes

But, yes…it bothers me a little…

1 Like

I will help you with errors if you need. seriously.

1 Like

If it’s intentional then I don’t mind, but to be fair, sometimes those typos can fly right over your head and English may not be their first language. It’s something I can easily overlook if the story is quality in other way and has a good plot

5 Likes

My point exactly.
We are prisoners to our respective languages, so we may as well make it the most beautiful prison possible. The greatest writers know how to twist words into beautiful poetry. It makes it so much more enjoyable to read works when the grammar, spelling, sentence structure, etc. is well done.
Any recommendations of stories with good writing?
You’re an icon- it’s a shame I can’t message you.
xo

3 Likes

Thank you so much @kennedychase I’m going to go through it bit by bit episode after episode etc and sort them out, but after ward if would just proof read it for me?
I will give you credit in the story, that would be great! :grinning:
Thank you lovely! :kissing_heart:

1 Like

I’d say The Triangle.

It’s in LL and Spotlight directing. But, the story, plot, the way it’s told, is all amazing.

1 Like

I really dislike spotlight directing. It gives me a headache. Any others?

2 Likes

Thousand Dollar Friend and Silent Voice, both by MissLunaRose.

1 Like

There are different flavours of grammatical errors, all bother me to an extent, but some are worse than others.

When the author is obviously a native speaker, and either didn’t care to proofread or hasn’t read a book since fifth grade, it drives me up the wall. Some people really telegraph “I’m not, like, a ‘reader’” when they write. Then maybe I’m not, like, gonna read your story, how’s that?

If it’s not too severe, then non-native speaker mistakes kind of give the story unique quirks. They slow me down when reading, and I’m more likely to get tired if I can’t read smoothly, but sometimes my brain detects hints of the original language and starts reading with an accent lol. “Seven Friends” is one example where the grammatical quality was just on the edge, but the author could get their point across, and distract me with masterful directing while I read the whole thing with a German accent lol. :+1:

4 Likes

Any Limelight?

CLUE: The Wrong Lead by @CoraMae

3 Likes

It’s always important to have strong dialogue and narration, however I do know we have a lot of very talented authors who write in English as a second or even third language. It can become quite difficult for them, but they do their best!

10 Likes

100% agree.
I just wish people would proofread.
And that the proofreaders do a decent job!
Personally, as I speak two other languages quite fluently, I’d still have a proofreader check it for me.
Can’t hurt, right?
Also, hello, Sir Administrator.

2 Likes

I don’t mind a few minor errors here and there, but if I have to reread sentences multiple times to make sense of them then I’ll stop reading. Unfortunately, it detracts from the story.
If I know that English isn’t someone’s first language (this is one situation where I don’t mind an author’s note), I tend to be a bit more lenient, but if I’m struggling to understand sentences then I’ll exit out. I realise that it’s difficult to write in a language that isn’t your first, but there are so many resources to help you out such as proofreaders.

5 Likes

Preach!