Polls about stories, give me your opinion

Be sure to give me your opinion on things and don’t hesitate to create your own poll bellow

When to give credit for a background/overlay:

• Give credit at the start.
  • Give credit at the same time as it appears.
  • Give credit at the end.

0 voters

Would you rather a simple story with all the default episode stuff or a fancy one with cool overlays and backgrounds:

• A basic bitch of a story.
  • Fancy all the way.

0 voters

Art scenes or nah:

• Spice it up with art scenes.
  • Nahh, no need.

0 voters

Characters that reveal their emotions through speech, thought and narrator bubbles or characters that show but not tell:

• The emotional characters are the best.
  • I want to see whats going on.

0 voters

One main mc or multiple:

• One is enough.
  • The more the merrier.

0 voters

Back story of a character all at once in the beginning, revealed when it needs to be/makes sense or all at once in the end:

• All at once in the beginning.
  • Revealed in bits, when it needs to be.
  • All at once at the end.

0 voters

When you write, do you make it up as you go along or do you make a detailed plan first:

• I’m not bothered to plan so I don’t.
  • Better to be prepared.

0 voters

Sound and music or no sound and music:

• Sound and music, it makes it more interesting.
  • It’s actually so unnecessary.

0 voters

----> be sure to make your own in the thread.

8 Likes

I have opinions which I cannot express through some of your polls, so I will answer a few here. Hope that is okay with you.

Something in the middle. Custom backgrounds and overlays are great, but when there are ten overlays per scene it gets frustrating and it slows down the pace of the story even on modern devices. (That pink “loading” screen…)

Also, some authors mistake the overuse of overlays as “good directing”. There is a difference between being good with overlays and being a good director.

For the sake of diversity and realism, I would say both. Some characters can be very open and expressive while others may keep their feelings to themselves or simply sigh, look at you sadly, or be very subtle… just like real people.

I voted for more the merrier only because I love exploring characters. But if all the characters are bland, then one is enough.

Something in the middle, actually. There are certain factors that should be planned very carefully, especially if the plot is complex or too “long”, but as a person who regularly changes her mind, I do not think a very detailed outline is a good idea. You never know.

Sound and music are a must for me… but not every scene has to have music. I like music when it is well used. If not, I would rather read a silent story.

8 Likes

Agreed! That was well said.

1 Like

Regarding the number of mc and whether the mc likes to express their expression or just do but not tell, there really isn’t a set preference for me. Depending on what’s your story about and the character’s personality, whichever style you prefer is fine. Although if you want to include several PoV, I recommend waiting for a bit before switching to another character —meaning a different scene or episode altogether, as to not confuse the readers and make it seem like you’re actually playing as that character.

3 Likes

I chose for the planned one that I do not plan I just write as I go along which is true when I’m writing my comedy stories. For any other genre, I would definitely plan before writing :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

You said everything I was thinking lol

1 Like

I’m writing a story at the moment, but I’m not sure how I should release it…

• Write three episodes before you release them, but release single chapters afterwards
  • Write the first episode and release it, and keep writing one at a time
  • Release episodes in bunches (although this could take a long-ass time)

0 voters

2 Likes

I do not advise you to release the first episode alone. Last time I checked, it is against the guidelines to have only one episode. I mean, not many people are aware of this and you probably would be safe, but just so know.

@Ensignia maybe you should ask Tyler. There is a chance I have misunderstood how this works; I have never been the most reliable source of information, but when in doubt…

I do agree that the guidelines are quite loose on their requirements though.

2 Likes

Right, okay.

I’ve found that the guidelines are quite loose in terms of their requirements. While the guidelines state that it must be 3 episodes long, it does not state that stories without three or more workable episodes will be taken down. Furthermore I have seen that several authors (I won’t name them in case episode decides to remove the stories,) have gotten around this requirement by making two “shell episodes” which basically go round in a loop.

I'm bad at explaining but this is what I mean by "shell episodes."

The episode is basically a black screen which tells the reader something like “this story is being continued.” or something similar. This prevents readers from losing their passes, and also means that the author can upload one or two chapters instead of 3 to begin with.

I would then bulk these shell episodes out with scenes from the first episode, although the reader wouldn’t be able to see this.

I have seen authors do this before with no consequence, so I am wondering if it is possible to release just the one episode to get feedback, and also give myself time to write the next?

I may possibly release two episodes and leave the third one as a shell episode, which I think is less likely to draw attention for not having 3 full episodes. This would also give readers more of a taste of the story, meaning they’re more likely to come back.

Context: 'Shell episodes'

@Annorah Thanks :slight_smile:
I’ll nose around the forums and I may also ask the author who published the story I spoke about if he encountered any trouble.

1 Like

Customization

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

Mini Games

• Yes
  • No
  • I don’t care

0 voters

Point System

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

Advance Directing

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

Author Intro

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

Choices

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

Overlays

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

• Flash Forward
  • Flash Back
  • No Flash

0 voters

Custom Backgrounds

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

Good First Impression

• Needed
  • Not Needed

0 voters

6 Likes

I can’t stand author intros they are annoying and 99% is about why their story couldn’t be good or longer, save the excuses.

2 Likes

Art scenes?

• Yess
  • Nahh

0 voters

1 Like

Good impressions are much needed for me.
I’ll exit the story if I find it repetitive or just horribly done. If I don’t exit, I just play it to see how bad it is. I’m sure none of you would want anyone to read your stories for that reason, though :joy:

1 Like

For the flash question, I feel like its good to flash back as well as forward. It makes the story more interesting.

I mean art scenes are really cool and pretty but it’s not needed since it takes up too much of the author’s time