Publishing Advice & How to Get Reads?

Hi, so I’m currently in a dilemma and I really need some advice. I have this story that I’m super passionate about and I put so much energy into this story, so I don’t want all that effort to go to waste. The only problem is, I’ve never published anything before so I don’t have any loyal readers to count on.

So, should I publish a different story first and try to build up a fanbase before publishing my other story? Or should I just go ahead and publish the story I’m passionate about and hope for the best?

If I publish a different story, of course I would put my all into it, but I still wouldn’t be as passionate about it as I am about my other story. And like I said, I’ve never published a story before so I don’t know fast or slow stories tend to grow. I really don’t know what to expect once I publish and I know there are so many writers out there that are struggling to get reads. I’m just worried that I’m putting all this effort into this one story and won’t get any results. :confused: What should I do?

7 Likes

I don’t think you should publish another story that you aren’t passionate about just so you can get reads. You can build up a fanbase with the story you already have and if it gets famous you will feel better about it. It also doesn’t matter if you have a fanbase or have a large number of reads, If you like this story then Its best to publish it. Also most of the time it takes a while to get reads. :grinning: I’m still wondering if i will ever get a fanbase on my story but I just keep writing :smiley: I hope this helps.

12 Likes

Agreed

2 Likes

If you’re passionate about this story, it will show in your writing, and that’s how you’ll build your audience. They’ll want to continue reading if they can tell how much time and effort you’ve put in. Of course it’s hard at first to build a readership, but tbh that’s part of the fun at the end of the day :blob_sun:

7 Likes

it did, thank you :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

thank you! that boosted my confidence :pleading_face:

1 Like

Awww you’re welcome :grinning:

1 Like

Glad I could help :slight_smile:

1 Like

Part of building a fanbase too is being active on social. If you don’t have one already, my advice would be to start one and post sneak peeks of your WIPs, talk to authors you like, just generally have fun. I don’t think you need to wait until you’ve built a fanbase to publish. You can just do your thing and write and give it time. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I agree. Get instagram and make some friends!

2 Likes

omg I totally forgot abut posting sneak peeks! tysm!

1 Like