Q&A For Writers

Hi, so I am a new writer and there are a lot of questions that I want to ask readers to determine how I should move forward with my story. I know there are tons of threads out there, but I decided to make my own. I have recently read a thread about some readers’ pet peeves and realized I had been going about my stories all wrong. So I had some questions to writers and readers alike:

• Do you like choices in stories or do you prefer to just read?
  • Adding onto the question before, what kind of choices do you like/hate? Do you like choices that impact the story or does that stress you out? (I know it stresses me out)
  • Do you like character points? As in, do you like it that your choices impact your relationship with characters?
  • What makes you continue reading a story? What makes you stop?
  • What do your favorite stories have that make them amazing?
  • Writers: how long do you think an episode should be?
  • Readers/Writers: what do you look for in the first episode?

I will probably have more questions later, and others, feel free to add your own questions as well.

8 Likes
  1. I don’t care for choices honestly :woman_shrugging:t2:

2. I don’t like choices that impact the story at all.

3. Ehh not really.

4. I continue a story if it’s interesting, as well as if I’ve already read a story from that author and I know they’re really creative.

5. I don’t really have favorite stories now, but when I used to read a lot, it was Finding Emerald and The Doberman, 2 completely different stories but I don’t know they were just so interesting and I found myself binge reading them.

6. My first 3 episodes were about 10 minutes long, I think your first 2 chapters shouldn’t be over 20 minutes because that’s a long time to keep someone’s attention. I recommend about 13-15 mins:). All of my chapters are different lengths. But never more than 18 mins.

2 Likes

Thanks so much. About how many lines are your episodes on average?

1 Like
Here are my answers to your questions.

Personally, I prefer choices in stories as it makes the story more interactive, and follows the purpose of Episode which is to pick your own choices. Although, I mostly depend on plot when it comes to read stories. Either way, I would read both if the plot is good but a story with choices would be better.

I like choices which help build the character in YOUR way. It helps you learn more about the character you’re playing as, and also helps your character develop. However, choices which have no significance whatsoever is what I’m not a fan of. This includes choices where there’s always the same outcome. (picking whether you’ll go out or not but either way, you will go out) It just destroys the whole point of choices.

Choices that impact the story are GREAT and AMAZING. I always include them when writing, and being stressed out gives a sign that you’re really immersed in the story. We all want the best for our characters, so we get stressed on what are the right choices to pick. But it helps the readers grow closer to the main characters, which is why I LOVE them.

Yes, character points are AMAZING. Although it may be confusing at first, it will get easier to code. As a reader, it helps me get closer to the character and makes me feel more immersed in the story as it feels like I’m the character. And, yes I like how it can impact our story as it gives an opportunity to add more endings too! As an author, character points helps me so much when it comes to endings. Usually, my story endings have a relation to the character points and whether that character will come to save the day or not.

From the very beginning, I expect a good impact in the beginning. Usually it may be good directing, amazing characters, or just the plot itself. Once I decided that the story may be good, I continue reading the episodes. What mainly makes me continue reading are the CLIFFHANGERS. It makes me curious on what would happen next.

On the contrary, once the plot makes NO sense or the directing is just so terrible that I can’t bare it anymore, I exit immediately. That also includes the grammar. Little things like no punctuation marks or wrong capitalization irritate me, which makes me exit the story.

My favorite stories usually contain that WOW factor. Whether it be something that I don’t know how to direct or something I don’t expect. If not those, it would be the cliffhangers. Most amazing stories contain cliffhangers because it attracts the reader to read more episodes. I include them in every episode, and it will be a GREAT help!

As a writer, my codings can be quite a mess. My coding takes the most part in my script rather than the dialogue, this is why about 1000 lines doesn’t cut out for me. I also include spaces in my script, so I don’t do lines below 2000. Usually, I target 5000 lines, or if I’m REAAALLLL ambitious it would be 10000 lines. In terms of minutes, I would say about 10-15 minutes would be the best time for the episode. It should NOT be too short nor too long.

As a reader however, I mainly look for four things: directing, grammar, plot, and character. If the directing is simply terrible, I won’t read it. As stated earlier, I have a habit of getting irritated in poor BASIC grammar. As for plot, I usually want it to make sense. I am NOT reading a story where the MC meets a man, marries the man, and gets pregnant all in one episode. Otherwise, it will show evidence of the story being rushed. For character, I just want a character that IS REALISTIC. I don’t want any character that is perfectly perfect because we all have flaws.

I hope my feedback helped! You can check this thread for more information about a reader’s preferece in stories! :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

2,000 to 3,500:)

2 Likes

Wow thanks so much! This is really going to help!

1 Like

Thank you!!

No problem! I tried to explain in the shortest way possible, but I tend to explain in many words. I hope that wasn’t a problem! :sweat_smile:

Guess I really am ambitious with my lines. :thinking::thinking:

2 Likes

I do not mind either way.

I love stories where the choices impact the story significantly. I do not “hate” any kind of choice. What I don’t like it’s when the author puts an important choice and whatever you pick still will resulting in the same outcome. That’s poor writing for me, just do not put the choice in.

Yes.

The plot has to intrigue me. If I’ll find the first episode interesting and I can understand the plot from the first episode then I’ll definitely continue the story. If the plot does not make sense or does not match the description I’m not reading it. Also, if it promotes any kind of toxic behavior I’m not gonna read it.

The character writing and the plot. They co-exist perfectly.

20min excluding warning cards and intros/ outros.

If it matches the description and it not give too many or too little info about the story in general.

1 Like

Of course not! The more detailed the better!

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

I guess so :joy:

● I prefer a story to have choices.
● Choices that impact the story are good. But yeah, it stresses me out a bit too.
● Character points make it a lot easier to understand how the story’s going to proceed. But it makes me think a little to much to reach the needed outcome, you know. Meaningful choices are cool but not like when your points are reduced cause you hate ice cream, for example.
● The originality of the story. And of course the element of surprise. When it’s hard to tell what’s gonna be next. Idk MC’s pregnancy kinda makes me stop or when everything becomes just too messed up or dramatic. Or again the standard scenario.
● The amazing storyline. Quality and the best humor :slight_smile:
● That depends on the amount of separate storylines. Every episode should include an important piece of information which really keeps the story evolving.
● Characters’ information. A little explanations about the location and the time the story takes place. And of course for the first episode to present the idea (i mean the conception)
Uh, I wrote a whole essay here… :thinking:

1 Like

Thank you so much!

1 Like
  • Do you like choices in stories or do you prefer to just read?
    Depends on the story and the plot.

• Adding onto the question before, what kind of choices do you like/hate? Do you like choices that impact the story or does that stress you out? (I know it stresses me out)
    I like choices that have an impact on the story.
    What I dislike are timed choices. I want to be relaxed while I’m reading, not stressed out.

• Do you like character points? As in, do you like it that your choices impact your relationship with characters?
    Yes. :slight_smile:

• What makes you continue reading a story? What makes you stop?
    I stop reading stories, when the story promotes toxic relationships and characters, such as the love interest and also topics that shouldn’t be glorified at all.
    The plot itself should be intriguing enough for me to continue the story. I also love character development which is very important for me.

• What do your favorite stories have that make them amazing?
    The plot, their own unique writing style, humour, correctly represented cultures/disabilities/sexual orientations, likeable characters.

• Writers: how long do you think an episode should be?
    10 minutes are fine for me. :slight_smile: I don’t like too short or too long episodes.

• Readers/Writers: what do you look for in the first episode?
    Directing, writing style, characters, grammar (my grammar isn’t the best xD), the atmosphere of the story, plot, if the story fits the description… Actually everything. :joy:

2 Likes

Thanks so much!!

1 Like

Hope this helps :slight_smile: holy crap i just realized how long this is LOL my bad

As a Reader
  • Do you like choices in stories or do you prefer to just read? I like choices in stories, but I’m also fine with just reading if there’s a reason for it (i.e. flashbacks, character descriptions, etc.)
  • Adding onto the question before, what kind of choices do you like/hate? Do you like choices that impact the story or does that stress you out? (I know it stresses me out) I like choices where you have the ability to shape the character’s personality a bit (like if they respond to something sweetly or with sass, confident or awkward.) I don’t like choices where the outcome is the same regardless - particularly, when you have a choice (usually relating to the love interest) where your options are something like “Yes” or “YES!” …like…why? Lol. I don’t necessarily care if choices lead to multiple endings as long as the singular ending is well-planned and makes sense.
  • Do you like character points? As in, do you like it that your choices impact your relationship with characters? It depends. Done well, absolutely. But sometimes the choices are written in a confusing manner & you can’t tell what kind of effect your comment will have on the other character (like there have been times I picked the option that seemed nice & it actually ended up being rude AF). In that case, I don’t like that. I also don’t like if you’re forced to make a decision too early on through character points.
  • What makes you continue reading a story? What makes you stop? Continue: Interesting characters / topic, well-thought-out plot, surprising twists. Stop: Major grammar, spelling, & punctuation issues. Nothing surprising or unusual. No character development.
  • What do your favorite stories have that make them amazing? See previous answer under continue :slight_smile: Also, I’m a sucker for art scenes & mini games :see_no_evil:
  • Writers: how long do you think an episode should be? (Answering this as a reader) I tend to prefer longer 1st episodes. One reason being - they don’t waste a pass LOL so I want to feel some sense of attachment by the end of the 1st episode in order to continue reading. Generally, this is at least 10 minutes if not 15 (I’m a super fast reader so I’d anticipate this is a little shorter than it would take most people).
  • Readers/Writers: what do you look for in the first episode? Character introduction / development, background information, the author’s style, something intriguing (can be comedy, suspense, mystery, etc…just has to have SOMETHING).
As a Writer
  • Do you like choices in stories or do you prefer to just read? I like to write choices into my stories & have them referenced later even if they don’t significantly affect the plot. For example, one choice I just wrote had the reader choose their breakup method (nice or rude) & in the next chapter, it comes up in conversation (and I’m planning on having it referenced again multiple episodes down the line).
  • Adding onto the question before, what kind of choices do you like/hate? Do you like choices that impact the story or does that stress you out? (I know it stresses me out) It stresses me out to write choices that impact the story if I have a specific ending in mind or if I have a sequel planned.
  • Do you like character points? As in, do you like it that your choices impact your relationship with characters? 50 / 50 depending on which story. The one I’m currently writing & directing, no. I might add in character points for secondary characters or possibly career points but other than that, there really isn’t a place for it since I only plan on having 1, maybe 2 endings. But I would still let the reader choose their ending & recommend 1 vs. the other based on points if I did branch that way. For another story that’s still just in the idea stages, I likely will have character points since I have no idea what the storyline looks like yet.
  • What makes you continue reading a story? What makes you stop? As a new writer, I now have a huge respect for thoughtful directing and customized backgrounds. I thought people were exaggerating when they said how long it takes to code an episode but…whew. Nope.
  • What do your favorite stories have that make them amazing? As a writer, I love to include characters that remind me of people in my own life. It gives me more material & helps me keep them consistent as characters. I also like to include things I have experienced so I can more accurately & vividly lend those details.
  • Writers: how long do you think an episode should be? I haven’t written that many episodes, but I think it depends on the writer bc their syntax will vary. @Night_mare gave me some helpful advice about focusing on the number of scenes per episode instead of a specific number of lines. I try to have ~5 scenes with major dialogue plus filler/transition scenes.
  • Readers/Writers: what do you look for in the first episode? Character intro/development, background information, some idea of where the plot conflict will come from, plus decent spelling/grammar/capitalization/punctuation/etc.
1 Like
  • do you like choices - i like about 1-5 choices in a chapter, doesn’t have to be huge, but it’s nice to have
  • what kind of choices - I probably prefer more short-term choices, like little things here and there that affect only that conversation. long term choices with flags are fine too but maybe not until later in the story
  • points - I think most readers kind of expect some kind of a point system, even if the points don’t end up doing that much. I think points are nice for things like getting extra outfits or responses in a conversation, but maybe not so much for character relationships and branching. maybe unpop opinion but I really like when you get the choice to maximize points at the end of a chapter…it takes away the stress that you made a “wrong choice” somewhere
  • what makes you keep reading - good dialogue and directing
  • what makes you stop reading - when the dialogue or pacing is off it makes me feel kind of awkward and I’ll quit reading
  • what makes it amazing - a really likable MC, like in my favorites, I’d be fine just watching the MC bop around their house bc they’re funny and likable and make you feel happy when you read about them
  • episode length - a lot of readers a fairly young, have limited attention spans, or might be reading in english as their second language…probably something to take into consideration when deciding on episode length. personally, I prefer 20 minute episodes but also I’m a 23 year old college grad who grew up in an english-speaking home. I think a safe bet would be to make 8-10 minute episodes and adjust as needed if your readers share concerns
  • first episode - kind of like a pilot tv show, let them know the mains, the premise, and set up a consistent structure for your episodes
1 Like

1. Do you like choices in stories or do you prefer to just read?
I think that choices are necessary.

2. Adding onto the question before, what kind of choices do you like/hate? Do you like choices that impact the story or does that stress you out? (I know it stresses me out)
I love it when choices affect the story! It makes it feel more unique and makes it more fun to possibly replay.

3. Do you like character points? As in, do you like it that your choices impact your relationship with characters?
Yeah, I think that this is similar to the second question. I think it makes sense that your choices would affect your relationship with other characters.

4. What makes you continue reading a story? What makes you stop?
A good plot, good directing, and good grammar makes me want to continue reading a story, but a bad plot, bad grammar, bad directing, and gem choices make me stop reading a story.

5. What do your favorite stories have that make them amazing?
Idk :woman_shrugging:t2:

6. Writers: how long do you think an episode should be?
Personally, I like episodes that are 15-30 minutes long, although that can be too long for some people.

7. Readers/Writers: what do you look for in the first episode?
Same as question 4: a good plot, good directing, and good grammar. If it doesn’t have those, I’ll likely stop reading.

1 Like

Do you like choices in stories or do you prefer to just read?

Ans. I like both.

a. I like simple choices, choices that deals with the point system, and choices that will determine the end of a story.

b. I don’t like choices that like, (lets say the character is invited to go to a party, you have a choice to go or don’t go, and if you pick “don’t go”, the character still goes anyway.) That is the kind of choice I don’t like.

Do you like character points? As in, do you like it that your choices impact your relationship with characters?

Ans. Yes.

What makes you continue reading a story? What makes you stop?

A. What makes me continue to read is a story is good grammar, good directing, characters, etc.

B. What makes me stop is when the story is rushed, like characters arent in place, grammar is horrible, directing is not good enough, etc.

What do your favorite stories have that make them amazing?

• A well-written storyline, the storyline flows perfectly, the directing is on point, good cliffhangers, a character that the readers can relate to, some elements that people enjoy doing like let’s say art, for example, any good hobby elements, or fantasy elements, etc, depending on whatever story you are writing.

Writers: how long do you think an episode should be?

Ans. 15 minutes.

Readers/Writers: what do you look for in the first episode?

• Good grammar.
  • Good Directing
  • Point System
  • Optional (CC/Limited CC)
  • Choices or No Choices at all
  • No romance
  • Life Messages
  • Raising Awareness
  • Diversity or let’s say you want to write a story that is based in your country, that is fine.
  • Well written plot, and it is well developed.
2 Likes