Question about diversity

So i want to write a story where the antagonist is a rich mean girl, ice cold with everyone and as a result she later gets killed. But im scared because no matter what race i use peoples will be annoyed. If she would be a black person ppls might complain why did i made her the evil character, if i make her asian they might complain why did i do that and that it would be rude since irl asians got killed due to this virus and ppls hate and so on. I want to add diversity to the story but im scared of ppls complaining and dont know what to do

I don’t really think that problem is avoidable but I say if you don’t talk about race or make it about race nobody else will. For example, don’t specify someone’s race as a part of their personality, just make them a character.

1 Like

Thank you

I don’t think it should be an issue at all, but there are many people who would hate such a prominent character due to her personality (not her skin tone). I’ve seen people complain about bratty characters that are mean to other people for no apparent reason, so as long as you don’t condone her behavior throughout the story you should be fine, obviously I’m referring to the first and middle sections… not the part where she’s killed.
If you make her black, you can have other black characters who’re good. If you make her Asian, same thing, make other Asian characters that are good. It’ll help visualize for your readers that there are good and bad people in every race.

If you’re going to make her a different race and ethnicity than yourself, you’ll still need to research though to write her more accurately, but I don’t think you should change how you envision her to look based on your fears. But, irregardless, there will be people out there who will respectfully tell you their concerns if they have any. (:

1 Like

As long as that person isn’t the only person of that race. Whatever racial heritage you have, you have the ability to commit evil. If you want the bad guy/girl to be a racial minority, just have another character of the same minority be on the good side.

As schitt said, just try to give the bad guy/girl believable motives, and try to dodge the fall pit of basic b*tch mean girl.

1 Like

Moved to Share Feedback since this is about story ideas. Make sure to check out our Forum Tutorial for more info about creating topics, and feel free to PM me if you’ve got questions. :smiley:

Thank you

1 Like

Ty Kyo

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.