Question about "ladies on the street" in stories

I’m currently planning a story that involves prostitution and the Yakuza. I’m afraid episode will think I’m glorifying prostitution- which I’m not so I need to know if that’s allowed. (I won’t be addressing prostitutes with the word itself, I’ll be addressing them with “ladies on the street”)

4 Likes

Now, just for a joke, they could advatasige massage and such, you now non sexual stuff, most readers will get what it really is.

3 Likes

I mean, as long as you aren’t breaking any guidelines and play it safe with censors (aka " * " symbols)… I think you’ll be alright.

3 Likes

bump cuz I need more info :+1::+1:

5 Likes

Moved to Share Feedback since this is about story ideas. Make sure to check out our Forum Tutorial for more info about creating topics, and feel free to PM me if you’ve got questions. :smiley:

1 Like

If you add symbols like #@* etc why not? just try to make it less s*xual! and add censors

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure I’ve seen stories where some female characters were implied to be prostitutes. I think they were all in medieval fantasy settings, and they were never addressed with the name of their profession, nor were there any obvious sexual references. I think I remember one scene where these women were gathering in the village square on the morning to gossip and get a wash/have breakfast. I think one said something like “will you be joining me tonight [name]?”

But yeah, I think it shouldn’t be a problem. Young teens/children don’t know what prostitues are anyway, so as long as you don’t explicitly say it or show it, they shouldn’t be able to understand what those characters are. Only those who are familiar with the phenomenon (older teens and adults) will catch the reference. So you should be good as long as you keep it clean.

2 Likes

Many authors seem to be scared of the guidelines, which is sad! :confused:
Also ‘sex’ and ‘prostitute’ aren’t curse words nor slurs so you don’t need to censor them… This is also a huge misconception. :roll_eyes:
You can deal with “dark” topics! It’s not forbidden, guys. And if done well it can be educational. The only thing that is not allowed and for good reasons bc Episode is still PG 13 - gloryfying it or shwoing it explicitly on screen. All the mafia stories gloryfying violence, use of drugs etc. are just so wrong and toxic. So as long as you don’t go that way, you’re perfectly good.
And even if you should have doubts in the future, you can share the part of your story with us or even the Epsiode team, and make sure it’s ok.
Hope this helped :hugs:

4 Likes

You know what, you’re right haha. I wasn’t gonna censor them at first but I keep seeing people censoring these type of words so I thought it was somewhere in the guidelines I missed. Apparently not, so good to know!

3 Likes

Yeah I know, that’s why I wanted to clarify that :slight_smile: It was no hate towards you or anything. It’s just pretty annoying to see :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Oh no I understand, really. Thank you for pointing it out! :grin::+1:t2:

2 Likes

its also a few years ago, btw will delete my earyler comments, because they are off topic, I recomand to do the same.

1 Like

thank you everyone!! I appreciate the help :heart:

1 Like