Question about restarting story

Hi everyone! So, I am currently revamping my story which I’m almost done with. I was wondering if there is a way to block readers from reading the current version of my story so that they would have to restart my story after update in order to get the new version.

2 Likes

yes you can add endles loop on the start

label loop
NARR
This story is revamped
goto loop

Or you can ad input with code.

this way new reader will not be able to read futher.
But if some of the readers is already reading the story now he will not be forced to reread it from 1 chapter the “republishing” will only reset for him the last chapter he was reading.

2 Likes

Okay so what if I wanted everyone including readers that have already read my story to start from chapter 1 again after the revamp is out? Would I have to take out the loop once I update??

You could use a gain to block them from reading further:

(At the end of episode 4)

NARR
Thanks for reading episode 4!
gain episode_4

(Beginning of episode 5)

If (episode_4) {

NARR
Enjoy the story!

} else {

label loop

NARR
The author revamped the story and added crucial information that requires a replay of the story.
Please replay and begin from episode 1.

goto loop

}

(Rest of episode 5 here)

———

There’s no other way to force a replay, it’s solely up to the reader. And just be prepared to lose readers if you choose to do this, especially depending on how many episodes you already have released and what exactly is included in the revamp.

1 Like

Thank you so much! Yeah I know I’ll lose some readers, but I changed some of the scenes in past episodes so I wanted to make sure everyone is up to date with what is going on

1 Like

just watch out - what is sugested above will block EVERY reager who reached 4 chapter - so you need to remove the gain before you will republish the revamped story or all the new reader will also end at chapter 4.

1 Like

Maybe you could just add the skip chapter choice :hugs:

So can I just add what as suggested above right before I republish? Since I’m not updating my story yet until everything is done?

In my opinion, more logical would be instead of adding gain to chapter 4 for “old readers”

lock the story at chapter 1 first -do this as soon as possible so there will be not so many readers forced to reread it.

add new gain there - this way you can be sure this gain will be gained only by reader who reads the new version

Then you can ad the if/else in all published chapter (or minimally in the last one) - and it will let through only the new readers

1 CHAPTER on the start

label loop
This story is currently locked
goto loop

gain revamped_story

And in every already published chapter, you will have

if (revamped_story){
}else[
label loop
NARR
The author revamped the story and added crucial information that requires a replay of the story.
Please replay and begin from episode 1.
goto loop
]

2 Likes

Thank you! So, right basically before I republish I would have to take out the lock from chapter 1, then add gains in the other published chapters and add the if/else to them to make sure that only the new readers are able to read through?

So if I would start to put the gains from chapters 1-6 it would be like

(At the end of episode 1)
gain revampchapter_1

(Beginning of episode 2)
If (revampchapter_1 ) {
goto INTRO
} else {
label loop
NARR
Please replay and begin from chapter 1.

}

label INTRO
[Intro would start here]

So that if they already finished chapter 1 before the revamp and they are already trying to read chapter 2 after the revamp is out they would immediately go to the loop and have to restart in order to get the gain from chapter 1 right?

Then I would have to do this same format for chapter 3-6 after I did so for chapters 1-2?

Basically yes - you just deleted the goto in the lock in the published chapters

(At the end of episode 1)
gain revampchapter_1

(Beginning of episode 2 , and every other already published chapter)
If (revampchapter_1 ) {
goto INTRO
} else {
label loop
NARR

Please replay and begin from chapter 1.
goto loop
}

label INTRO
[Intro would start here]

also just to be sure - you will have gain revampchapter_1 only once in chapter 1 - in the rest of published stories you will have the same as in chapter 2

1 Like

Alright got it! Thank you so much for you help :sob: :blob_hearts:

1 Like

Thank you so much for your help :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :blob_hearts:!!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.