Question abt non-binary partners

Hi!

So in my story I want one of the MC’s sister to have a non-binary partner. Someone cisgender may want to be called “girlfriend” or “boyfriend” and I’m just wondering if there’s a term like that for non-binary people. I did some research and found “enbyfriend”? So yeah basically what terms could I use for the sister to refer to her partner as?

6 Likes

I think just partner would work. :thinking:

I have found this site that might be useful -

4 Likes

Great thank you!!

Hey!! I’m non-binary! usually I just have whoever I’m dating refer to me as their partner. However, some of my NB friends prefer to be called a girlfriend or a boyfriend. But it really goes from person to person. So for me, because I’m agender, I much prefer “partner,” but i also know both “girlfriend” and “boyfriend” can be used if and only if that someone is ok with it ◡̈

6 Likes

Thank you so much, this is v helpful! :relaxed:

2 Likes

Like the others said, just partner would work fine. But I guess it depends on what the person prefers. Some don’t mind girlfriend or boyfriend, others go by enbifriend (which I think sounds kinda cute lol :relaxed:) but it’s totally up to you.

2 Likes

Same haha! Thank you for the help too <3

1 Like

I’m non-binary and would be fine with someone calling me their boyfriend. Not all non-binary people are 100% gender neutral. So it really depends on the person.

3 Likes

Good to know, tysm! :white_heart:

My best friend is nb and they prefer partner. I’m trans and I prefer partner or girlfriend. Just definitely not boyfriend as I’m a trans woman and really hate being referred to as anything masculine.

1 Like

Makes sense, thank you for your input :relaxed:

1 Like

Thanks for including a nonbinary character in your story! I’m always open to answer questions. I actually thought I was nonbinary before realizing I identified more fully as a trans women. It’s a process of self identity. And I also like girls which I didn’t think I could as trans women, but through self discovery I truly learned that love is love.

2 Likes

Thank you! And that’s so inspiring, I’m glad you figured out your identity :pleading_face:

I completely agree w you!!

1 Like

Thank you! I think the best thing to do when addressing a trans or enby person is ask what they would like to be called. She / they / him, partner / gf / bf. Even neopronouns like xer/xie/xem, etc.

1 Like

Of course :relaxed:

Hi! Non-binary person here! As everyone here said, partner is good enough of a term. But as someone else said, in real life, it varies from person to person.

Some people like myself are fine with being called girlfriend, or others are fine with being called boyfriend, but if it’s neither of those terms they want to be called, partner is just fine. It’s always very good to ask though!

If you have any other questions, you’re more than welcome to ask!

2 Likes

Makes sense, thank you sm! :white_heart:

1 Like

So I’m nonbinary and use they / them pronouns and prefer other gender neutral terms. I would prefer to be called partner instead of bf or gf. “Enbyfriend” is kinda cute though ngl.
Also I think it’s so cool that you’re including a nonbinary character in your story! There isn’t a ton of representation on episode for nonbinary people!

1 Like

That makes sense :relaxed:
Of course, I wish there was more too (:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.