Question: What hairstyles do you consider to be only for POC?

I’ve seen a few posts about cultural appropriation/insensitivity where people were talking about “black” hairs being used on white characters and I was just wondering which hairstyles people find offensive when used on white characters. Are styles such as Long Voluminous Curls Loose, Medium Shoulder Curly, and Medium Shoulder Curly Bun Hair okay to use on a white character? Obviously I wouldn’t use the afro puffs, dreads, braids, etc. on a white character, but I wasn’t sure about some of the curly hairs.

1 Like

I am a POC.
It doesn’t matter to me what hairstyle is for POC and what hairstyle isn’t that’s stereotyping and I find it annoying. I feel you can use any hair style you want as long as you don’t make it offensive or as a ‘racial joke’

12 Likes

I don’t mind if a white MC has curly hair like Afro puffs and long Voluminous Curls Loose because some people who are not black have naturally curly hair. I get offended when they use box braids and dreads. That where we have a problem!!

5 Likes

The only problem is when non POC’s try to claim the hairstyle as their own and don’t understand the history behind them. Also, some hairstyles aren’t suitable for white people’s hair because it can damage them and pull out a lot. But if people wanna ruin their hair, who am I to stop them :crazy_face:

3 Likes

That makes sense! I just wanted to make sure that I wouldn’t be offensive or hurtful to anyone by using certain hairs or hairstyles :blush:

1 Like

Thank you for making sure!
:blush:

I made a LL ,list of hair fitting for diffrent types, people are welcome to disagree

4 Likes

Yeah, that makes complete sense! I just wanted to make sure that using certain hairs wouldn’t be hurtful or offensive to anyone :blush:

1 Like

That’s really cool! Thank you!

1 Like

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. Thanks for explaining :blush:

1 Like

I’m white, and when I had longer hair, it was horribly curly.

Then, look at this guy:
Queen Live at Wembley 1986 John Deacon camera only - YouTube
(it’s the way his hair grows, I really like him)

2 Likes

That’s so cool! One of my friends who is white has natural hair like that, but she started straightening it because she thought it was too hard to manage.

1 Like

I’m white, but my hair is super thick and curly.

1 Like

When I comb it out, my mom says I look like Diana Ross, that’s how curly it is.

1 Like

My eyes are also really heavily lidded, and someone asked me if I was Asian once. Nope.

2 Likes

I think poc hairstyles are the hair you see on pocs

1 Like

Hmm… maybe… but like yo everyone is spitting fax on this thread… i had skin and some weirdo asked if i was human… the audacity

1 Like

Smhhhh why do you have to have skin in the first place?

1 Like

I know… it’s kinda rude to some people… lets not even talk about the hearts… :yawning_face:

1 Like

Yes! And also to all the emo people with black hearts…

1 Like