Questions about Native American representation

Hi there, I’m currently working on a western story, and I’d like to present Native American characters, but I don’t know much about the culture, and I don’t want to be offensive in any way. Of course, I did some research, but I want to make it sure. :grin:

1. Is Indian an offensive word for Native Americans? Did people use the Indian term in the western times? (My mother language isn’t English, and I just recently realized that the word “Indian” has two different meanings. Fun fact, in Hungarian, “indián” means Native American and “indiai” means Indian.)
2. My story is set up in Wyoming, and I found that Sioux (especially Lakota) tribes lived there in the second half of the 19th century. Is that correct? If you could also write a few things about Lakota culture, I’d thank that, because on the internet I found a lot of information about their history, but not about their culture.

1. Many do consider it offensive nowadays, but since your story is probably set in the 19th century, I suppose it’s okay to use, but I do recommend using a disclaimer.

2. From what I’ve read the Lakota did live in Wyoming.

Thank you so much! :blush:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.