Questions about proofreaders, betareaders & reviews

Hey! :hibiscus:
I’m a writer and I have a few questions about proofreaders, betareaders, and reviews. I’m really so clueless about these… So, I would really appreciate it if you would benefit me by answering the following questions!

Question about proofreaders, betareaders and reviews:

- What’s the difference between these three? Do they all mean the same thing?

Questions about proofreaders/proofreading and betareaders/betareading:

If the answers to these questions are different for proofreaders and betareaders, I would be very grateful if you would tell me the differences between them!

1- Is proofreading/betareading free?

2- If it’s not free, how/what through is this fee paid to the proofreader/betareader?

3- Do proofreaders/betareaders do one-time proofreading/betareading or can we get a personal proofreader/betareader?

4- What do proofreaders/betareaders do? What exactly is going through the proofreading/betareading? Is it just grammar or directing included, too? Do we just send proofreaders/betareaders the text of our story or do we also send other things, including animations, zooms and speechbubbles?

5- How to do proofreading/betareading? I know that all written episodes of stories that have not yet been published can be read when the authors share links. But how does that happen after the story is published? How do we share our story with the proofreader/betareader? Via e-mail?

Heyy so here are the answers to your questions
Proofreading is for grammar and English
Beta reading basically tells you what can you change and directing stuff
Review is mostly after publishing asking how ppl like the story.

1. As long as I hve been in forums it has always been free.
  2. It’s free🥳
  3. It depends if the person wants to review your story again you can ask them that
  4. Everything you ask them to
  5. there is a link below copy it and share it with anyone with pming them…:hugs:
2 Likes

Question about proofreaders, betareaders and reviews:

What’s the difference between these three? Do they all mean the same thing?
To my knowledge, proofreaders and betareaders are pretty much the same. Reviewers, however, will read your story at your request, usually giving you a list of the things you can improve on for different categories. You usually get a mark/ranking/star rating for how good your story is according to different categories in your story: categories such as plot, directing, diversity, choices, etc. You usually are provided with a criteria and a very honest opinion on your story if you request a review, whereas proofreaders/betareaders will typically just point out errors or grammar issues.

Questions about proofreaders/proofreading and betareaders/betareading:
If the answers to these questions are different for proofreaders and betareaders, I would be very grateful if you would tell me the differences between them!

1- Is proofreading/betareading free?
Usually, yes. I’ve rarely seen anyone charge for these types of services.

2- If it’s not free, how/what through is this fee paid to the proofreader/betareader?
If people do charge, my guess would be that this transaction would be made via PayPal.

3- Do proofreaders/betareaders do one-time proofreading/betareading or can we get a personal proofreader/betareader?
I believe it depends on the individual. Some people are totally okay with being your long-term, personal proofreader/betareader. You’ll just have to ask the individual whether they’re ok with this.

4- What do proofreaders/betareaders do? What exactly is going through the proofreading/betareading? Is it just grammar or directing included, too? Do we just send proofreaders/betareaders the text of our story or do we also send other things, including animations, zooms and speechbubbles?
Grammar & directing issues (including zooms, speechbubbles, animations) mainly, however some may give you their general opinion/advice on the story if you ask them for it.
You will send the link to your story and they will just message you back any issues they found when reading it.

5- How to do proofreading/betareading? I know that all written episodes of stories that have not yet been published can be read when the authors share links. But how does that happen after the story is published? How do we share our story with the proofreader/betareader? Via e-mail?
As for published stories, I’m actually unsure of the process since I’ve only ever proofread unpublished ones.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

proofreaders: they usually control grammar, but can also do other things
betareaders: when something is in “beta-testing” that means it’s about to be finished, it only needs to be checked and controlled by someone who is not the creator - so betareaders read a story after is finished, but before is published; they check everything usually
reviewers: usually after a story is published you can ask a reviewer to give “marks” to your story; the most used categories are choices, directing, grammar…

it should be! and if someone charges for it, don’t pay them! there are a lot of people and groups that will do it for free

both! groups mainly do it once you ask them, usually for only the first 3 chapters. but you can ask and search for a personal proofreader/betareader, it’s not uncommon

if you just want someone to proofread the story, you can send them the script (I do some proofreading sometimes, and personally I prefer if the writer sends me the script, since it’s quicker for me, but it depends). if you want a complete betareading (also directing and story development) you have to send them the link of your story, the one you find at the bottom of the writer’s portal

unfortunately after the story is published that link will get other people to the published episodes. I personally copy and paste the unpublished episodes in another story, and give my betareaders the link of that second story (unpublished), so that they can read it without any problem
and if you want to share the script, I suggest you use google docs, it’s easy to use and it does have different useful functions

I hope I answered everything, but if you have other question feel free to contact me!

1 Like

Thank you very much! You really helped me!!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Thank you very much! Yessss, you really helped me a lot! :blue_heart:

1 Like

You’re the best! Thank you so much! You helped me a lot :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :blue_heart:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.