Questions for readers and writers

So i just have a few questions for readers and writers feel free to answer them all or none of them.

Readers
•What do you like in an mc?
•What plots do u like?
•Happy endings or sad endings?
•Do u prefer it when choices matter?
•When reading what’s the first thing you notice/think about the first chapter?
•Do u like advanced directing even if it’s a shorter chapter?

Writers
•Any directing/coding tips?
•When writing do you like to focus on the dialogue or the coding?
•Do you plan or make it up as you go?
•How long does it take to write one chapter?
•If you do plan, what do u focus the most on?
•Do you like criticism?
•How do u respond to negative/mean fan mail?

Thank you for answering if you do! :heart:

5 Likes

Readers
•What do you like in an mc? limelight
•What plots do u like? suspense ,romance, comedy
•Happy endings or sad endings? depends on the choices
•Do u prefer it when choices matter? yes
•When reading what’s the first thing you notice/think about the first chapter? spot directing and speech bubbles
•Do u like advanced directing even if it’s a shorter chapter? not really

Writers
•Any directing/coding tips? just watch episode tutorials on youtube
•When writing do you like to focus on the dialogue or the coding? both
•Do you plan or make it up as you go? much better if plan
•How long does it take to write one chapter? It depends where do you want to cut it…probably the part where the reader will be curious what will happen next…
•If you do plan, what do u focus the most on? twist and characters
•Do you like criticism? depends on the type of the story if necessary
•How do u respond to negative/mean fan mail? not yet

2 Likes

Always read through your episode several times, you will always find a error or something you can improve.

Both.

Both. I know certain things I want to happen and how I want the story to end but how I get there I kinda make up as I go. I think I would be kind of restricting myself if a planned too much because I always come up with new stuff as I write the episode.

It depends if I have a lot of branching in an episode and how many scene changes I have but I need a week at least.

Stuff making sense character and story wise.

Yes I love it as long as it’s respectful.

I take it with humor or just block the message though so far the only negative fanmail I got was over CC.

1 Like

•What do you like in an mc? Personality. that MC has one. going out drinking is not one. nither is haveing a crush

•What plots do u like? fantasy
•Happy endings or sad endings? depend on the story
•Do u prefer it when choices matter? yes
•When reading what’s the first thing you notice/think about the first chapter? the directing.
•Do u like advanced directing even if it’s a shorter chapter? yes

Writers
•Any directing/coding tips? read your story on the app before you publish
•When writing do you like to focus on the dialogue or the coding? both
•Do you plan or make it up as you go? plan. if you wing it you usally will get stuck
•How long does it take to write one chapter? a few mounths
•If you do plan, what do u focus the most on? the story plot
•Do you like criticism? no one does. listen to advices ignore people who just insult you
•How do u respond to negative/mean fan mail? I try to be nice. I havent gotten any real bad ones yet.

1 Like

Thank you for answering.

1 Like

Thank you for replying!

1 Like

Thank you!

I love it when the MC is independent and strong-willed.

Depends. Sad endings in shorter stories are more interesting in my opinion, but I’ve read a story with like 30++ chapters that ended sadly and I was heartbroken since I loved the characters so much :joy:

Absolutely. No choices is fine if the story is really good and/or has great directing.

If the story is going to be enjoyable or long and dragging, how much effort the author had put into directing it.

Really short chapter is a no for me, again except if it’s that good or well-written. Tbh I think advanced directing doesn’t correlate with chapter length.

Find inspiration from your favorite movies/TV shows to direct your story. Also find your own directing style!

Coding first, then edit the dialogue before publishing.

I plan every stage until the end of the season, but most of the time new ideas pop up and I just add them to the script.

2 weeks at least :joy:

Important events and character development. Also sometimes how I want to shoot the particular scene.

I eat them for dinner.

2 Likes

Readers
•What do you like in an mc? if the MC is a woman, I’d like her to be independent ; if the MC is a man I don’t want him to be an Asshole
•What plots do u like? Unique ones
•Happy endings or sad endings? Both
•Do u prefer it when choices matter? Idc, my favorite story doesn’t even have choices. The directing is amazing so it’s like I’m watching a tv serie
•When reading what’s the first thing you notice/think about the first chapter? Grammar and directing
•Do u like advanced directing even if it’s a shorter chapter? Depends how short, I will not read something less than 5 minutes

Writers
•Any directing/coding tips? Watch Joseph Evans tutorials, they help me a lot
•When writing do you like to focus on the dialogue or the coding? Both
•Do you plan or make it up as you go? I plan (Joseph Evans made a video about it which helped me having most of my story already planned on paper)
•How long does it take to write one chapter? LONG, I have a lot of coding (still haven’t finished my first chapter but like it has more than 2500 lines but it lasts less than 2 minutes cause of the coding)
•If you do plan, what do u focus the most on? Watch the tutorial (Start, end, middle, how you get from start to end, etc…)
•Do you like criticism? Yeah, it helps
•How do u respond to negative/mean fan mail? Never got a negative one in my old stories

2 Likes

A personality. Seriously, I want an mc that is their own person, not just something that’s supposed to be a self insert or a “”“badass”“” that immediately falls for the bad boy

Plots that are original and not cliche, and also plots that aren’t rushed

Either is fine, but I prefer happy endings

I don’t mind having no choices, as long as the story’s interesting. I don’t wanna replay the story to see all outcomes anyway lol

Directing, grammar, whether the plot interests me or not

Yes, but I prefer chapters that are at least 10 minutes long

2 Likes

I will answer as a writer :slight_smile:

°Don’t use so many pauses. It doesn’t look nice in the eyes of a reader and it get’s really boring. Also, if you add advanced zooms, don’t make them super slow but if you do it use the ‘&’ instead of this ‘@’ so the zoom can move while things are happening in the scene.
°It depents on the scene I’m making. Usually I try to focus on both but sometimes you have to focus more on the coding or the dialog.
°I do both. Sometimes I plan a chapter, sometimes I plan only the first 3 scenes and then make it up from there
°It depents on my motivation and the scenes. If my motivation is low (that it usually is lol) it takes me quite long to make one and if the scenes are really hard it takes me even longer
°I focus on the relationships between the characters. What I mean is that I focus on things that will happen between the characters in that chapter
°Yes and no because I like it when people tell me what they don’t like so I can fix it in future chapters but I hate it when people are mean about it
°I’ve never gotten negative fanmail or hate so far, but if I ever do I will just probably answer with irony or ignore it.

4 Likes

I like being able to relate to the MC. I like it when the MC has a sense of humor and flaws, and is able to laugh about their flaws but also try to improve them.
I like any unique, creative plots that I have never seen before.
I like a mixture of a happy and sad ending. As long as the ending is satisfying, it’s good.
The first thing I notice about a story is the story’s intro. If they have an intro with overlays, then I know the author has a good story and is a god coder. If they start with having a character come up to the stage and say that it’s their first story and explain that it’ll get better after 3 chapters, I usually stop reading.
I don’t really care about advanced directing. As long as it uses overlays when necessary to enhance the story, and uses CLEAN spot directing, then that’s good enough. Prioritize the length of your stories.
For coding and directing tips, use zooms! Zooms add so much to a story. And also place your speech bubble well! Make sure it’s pointing to the speaker.
Focus on both the coding and dialogue! For me, dialogue is easier, so I focus more on the coding when I am previewing my story.
PLAN your story! Of course, some details are made up along then way and some dialogue or narration and background characters, and minor scenes. However overall, it should be planned. The beginning, rising action, climax, etc. should be planned. That way, there are no plot holes and you can foreshadow events.
It depends on the author how long it takes for them to write the first chapter. It depends how much time they have. I had school, but now due to quarantine, I have online school which takes less time. I wrote 4.5 chapters in a little over 3 months.
I do like criticism! Personally, I just both the rude and positive criticism. There is a line between constructive criticism and being rude, though.
I haven’t received hate on my story. My first story only received two comments, and neither were insulting. The best you can do is ignore the hate. It’s hard, but just focus on the positive comments.

4 Likes

Thank you.

Thanks for replying :heart:

1 Like

Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks for replying!

1 Like

Thanks for your advice, i’ll take that on board when i start writing! :heart:

1 Like

No problem, it was fun answering

1 Like

Both are important, but dialogue is how you portray and lay out your story. I focus on both.

I like plot twists, so planning. I have better control of my plot if I plan

Character Development and storyline development

Constructive criticism and criticism are two different things. I take constructive criticism

I don’t really care. They want a reaction, so I just don’t give them what they want

1 Like

What do you like in an mc?
I can’t really determine this because what really matters to me is that the character is well-developed and has an interesting personality. So basically, I just want to see that he/she is the main character for a reason.

What plots do u like?
Anything that has an original concept. I don’t really mind the theme or the genre, but I usually prefer light-hearted stories and I tend to avoid the ones with heavy subjects.

Happy endings or sad endings?
Happy endings

Do u prefer it when choices matter?
It depends on the story. Overall, I don’t mind if choices don’t matter that much, but pointless choices like what to eat for breakfast are… well, pointless.

When reading what’s the first thing you notice/think about the first chapter?
Lately I often decide whether I like a story or not within a few minutes. So if it starts with a super long, unnecessary author note/narration or if the characters are being introduced one by one, I probably won’t even continue reading it. But if it starts with an interesting intro, I usually have high hopes for the story.

Do u like advanced directing even if it’s a shorter chapter?
I care more about the plot and the characters than about advanced directing, but still, it depends on how you define a shorter chapter. I prefer if it’s about 10 minutes.

Any directing/coding tips?
It’s pretty simple, but the best directing tip I’ve ever received is to always specify which direction the characters are facing, what layer they are at, and to add an looping animation when you start a new scene. This helps me spare a lot of headaches and avoid unnecessary, but awkward directing errors.

When writing do you like to focus on the dialogue or the coding?
Dialogue

Do you plan or make it up as you go?
I used to make up everything along the way, but now I’m trying to plan in advance.

How long does it take to write one chapter?
Well, if I have the time and I feel really inspired, the actual writing takes me 2-3 days. But I definitely don’t write every day. Sometimes I’m busy, sometimes I’m lazy, and sometimes I’m just not feeling it.

If you do plan, what do u focus the most on?
What I mostly focus on is that the story would make sense as a whole. Plot holes are my pet peeves, and I also try to make sure that I don’t leave questions open, unless it was intentional.

Do you like criticism?
If it’s constructive, yes of course. Sometimes I actually wish I would receive more of these, so that I would know how to make my stories better.

How do u respond to negative/mean fan mail?
I received one mean fanmail and my reply was mean :see_no_evil: Besides this, I had some fanmail about my episodes being short. I have to admit it took me a while to realize that my readers were right, so my replies were basically “Sorry, I can’t” or “I don’t think they are that short” :sweat_smile: But now I’m pretty grateful to these readers because this was about my first story, and thanks to them, I think I managed to improve.

2 Likes