Questions for readers

Hey! I’ve got a “few” questions about stories. This is everything I could think of that could help (new) authors writing their stories. Thanks for answering in advance:) Feel free to skip some questions since some of them aren’t “necessary”, maybe just questions you don’t know an answer to, or questions you already could’ve answered in other questions. Honestly, I would skip all these questions, but if you have time or you’re bored, I guess you can fill time with this.

-1 What is your preferred chapter length and story length?
-2 How important are choices? Do you prefer it if the choices matter?
-3 What is your favorite kind of MC? (looking at personality and maybe even looks)
-4 What kind of MC do you absolutely hate?
-5 What is your favorite kind of LI? (looking at personality and maybe even looks)
-6 What kind of LI do you absolutely hate?
-7 What kind of side characters are your favorite and do you want to see more often?
-8 What kind of side characters do you hate?
-9 Do you like to have the choice to play as a male or female, and the choice to date a male or female?
-10 Favorite kind of stories? (Genre, anything special you saw in a story you wanna see more, highschool, college, mafia, business, etc.)
-11 How important is CC for you? Do you rather have limited, or none?
-12 Do you like playing more like yourself, or as the character the author makes? (Like changing the name of the MC, CC, etc.)
-13 Preferred amount of LI’s? And why?
-14 What makes you read(/click on) a story?
-15 Biggest pet-peeves?
-16 Do you like art scenes?
-17 When you look at a story cover, does it matter to you whether it is edited, drawn, or maybe even a self-made picture? What kind of cover makes you click the fasted?
-18 When looking at the description of a story, what is the best thing an author could put in there? (Like questions, the amount they tell you about a story…)
-19 Do you like to see self-made background characters or people’s characters that the author asked for on the forums (or other social media)?
-20 Do you more often read stories that came from contests (whether they won or not) or just stories that aren’t made for contests?
-21 What do you think of the author’s notes?
-22 What do you think about authors putting themselves in stories? When does it get annoying? (For example, if they give themselves a big role, they just randomly show up, they use themselves as background characters, etc.)
-23 When you look at outfits, on a scale from 1 to 10, how much does it annoy you when the outfits of background characters don’t fit the setting? (Like casual clothes in a club where the MC, LI, etc. go to with exclusive clothes)
-24 How important is advanced directing for you?
-25 What gem choices do you really dislike in community stories?
-26 What gem choices do you “like” in community stories?
-27 Do you prefer stories with or without sound? Or do you rather have a made playlist by the author? (Music, sound effects, etc.)
-28 Since most people’s pet-peeve is grammar/spelling/punctuation, how many mistakes can you tolerate before clicking off?
-29 Are there certain scenes you absolutely despise? (For example, a shower scene of just the MC singing to fill in some time)
-30 Are there certain scenes you absolutely love?
-31 How fast do you prefer character development to go?
-32 When the author also writes a bit in another language, do you think it is annoying, nice, cool, or something else? And how much of the other language is too much since reading the reader’s messages can be very annoying sometimes?
-33 When reading a story, how annoying is it to you when there isn’t a lot of diversity?
-34 When reading a story with diversity, but the more diverse characters are purely stereotypes and inaccurate, what do you do with the story you were reading?
Later added question-35 Do you mind if the LI isn’t introduced right away? Does it matter to you if the story now really focuses on the LI?

I’m not gonna lie, I really didn’t expect to think of so many questions. To the people who actually answered (most of) the questions, thank you:).

18 Likes

10 - 15 minutes (as a reader) as a writer, i stop at where I want the cliff hanger to stop. and if the cliff hanger stops at 800 lines or 1000 lines then so be it

I dont like important choices, the what if’s will kill me
-3 What is your favorite kind of MC? (looking at personality and maybe even looks)
I like it when they have a good personality but they also know how to stick up for them selves
One with no character development
-5 What is your favorite kind of LI? (looking at personality and maybe even looks)
same as above
same as above
-7 What kind of side characters are your favorite and do you want to see more often?
The goofy ones like I like it when in the background you have silly characters doing stupid things
I dont really know honestly
-9 Do you like to have the choice to play as a male or female, and the choice to date a male or female?
I think for some people its good to have this option
-10 Favorite kind of stories? (Genre, anything special you saw in a story you wanna see more, highschool, college, mafia, business, etc.)
I love to read about romance and mafia stories

4 Likes

1 I don’t have a preference for overall story length, I probably won’t read something over 50 episodes unless it’s really good. 10-15 minutes per episode is good enough in my opinion.

2 It doesn’t really matter to me, but it does personalize the story a bit if the choices do end up affecting the character responses and personality,

3 I honestly don’t mind how the MC, I prefer my MC kind with a good sense of humor though, and resembles me more.

4 I hate the annoying ones or ones who are “not like other girls”

5 I like them all unless they’re toxic and if they were a bad boy with a golden heart or something related, I would expect some character development.

6 The ones who are always jealous, like I know that sometimes it moves the story toward and that’s completely fine, but they’re just annoying when they’re jealous all the time.

7 Supportive ones.

8 Ones who are supposed to be supportive but are just pushy and rude.

9 I’m a pretty generic straight female which is what the majority of stories have, however I think that it’s nice to have at least an option for lgbtq+ if the story is a bit more personalized.

10 I like fantasy stories, I would love more action in a lot of the stories but the animations are very limited when it comes to the fast paced action scenes,

11 I prefer CC, but I don’t mind if the story doesn’t have customization.

12 I like playing as myself more, but I’ve read some really good stories where it was about someone else.

13 2, its not too much where I have to pick between 3.

14 Interesting titles, covers and descriptions mostly.

15 Grammar, confusing cc templates and bad story telling.

16 Yes, I don’t care if the scenes don’t end up matching the characters. It gives a nice touch to the stories.

17 Maybe just a clean cover, covers where the stuff isn’t just everywhere. I don’t mind if it’s edited or drawn, but for edited I prefer less pixelated ones.

18 Ones that just give the readers a good idea of what the plot is, who the character is and maybe establishes the tone for the story.

19 I don’t mind either one, I don’t pay attention to the background characters much.

20 I read both, mostly just stories who have won though.

21 I think they’re fine as long as they aren’t too long.

22 I don’t mind authors being a background character or maybe a side character, it does get annoying when they overpower themselves though (only in fantasy stories though)

23 I don’t care about outfits that much.

24 Not too much as long as everything is clean and the story telling is good. However I do appreciate a story with advance directing a bit more.

25 I only really dislike the gem choices in the featured stories because if how excessive it is, but I don’t have a problem with ones in the community ones since they’re never really in the actual story.

26 Any.

27 I think adding music adds a lot to the mood, so it’s a nice touch.

28 5 or so in the first episode.

29 The ones where the MC’s sing in the shower, they’re pretty cringey in my opinion :skull:

30 Not really, just really well written and directed ones in general.

31 Throughout the entire story, not too fast but not too slow.

32 It’s fine in my opinion, it can get a bit boring if it’s too long though. I wouldn’t go over like 2/3 of the episode. Reader message boxes are very slow and aren’t really up to pace with the actual speech bubbles.

33 For background characters, I honestly don’t care if it’s diverse because it feels like I’m just cherry picking ( geographical places can also affect the character looks). If it’s the main cast, it’s nicer to have a diversity since they’re the characters who really matter and give more representation.

34 I would probably just confront the author and ask them to fix it if it’s a subconscious mistake and continue reading it. If it’s something that was clearly intentional, then I probably won’t stick around.

3 Likes

15’ and 20-30 episodes

they don’t really matter to me. i can read stories with no choices. but if it has choices that matter I would like the choice to be quite important to the story.

I guess the emotionless one (not personality wise) emotionless meaning that they have no character they are generic. when their opinions/ personality changes drastically without it being explained.

i always pick the good guy when there’s a choice lol. i like “bad guys” too but only if they are written well!

Again, same as the MC question. I want them to actually have a personality.

the ones that are worthy of a spin-off or just a side storyline in the story.

the ones that have little-to-no backstory and are just in the story for the MC to have a BFF

it’s not a must but it’s nice to have the option.

fantasy/ horror/ thriller/ adult drama/ scifi
i would like to see more of psychological horror and business/ personal dramas (personal meaning they focus on a specific problem the MC has going on in their lives and it doesn’t always have to be something related to an LI)

it has none importance to me. i think it’s just wasted lines. i always skip it/ leave the character as their default. same with names.

drawn covers attract me most. but if i see a good edited one that is unique and interesting then i will click on it.

definitely!

i read more non-contest stories.

not a must have but if something needs explanation for whatever reason. either the author won’t update the story or when the next update is or even a hint for a minigame or the next chapters is helpful sometimes.

I don’t mind at all.

oof a lot. especially the bg characters. don’t want a club scene and a girl is wearing like pjs or something.

It’s not super important. you can still make a really good story using basic directing.

CC availablity through gems. I don’t like it. I am not going to CC anyways but I know people want to do so. so don’t takeaway the only free thing left on episode :sweat_smile:. just don’t put CC in the story.

support author. skip a minigame. increase points. maximise points. bonus scenes. early access.

music on episode can be glitchy. like most of the time. I don’t usually read stories with the volume on. when I do i like sounds. but i would love a playlist yeah.

spelling sometimes it’s not a very big deal but sorry I am not gonna promote that story either if the grammar mistakes are so bad that you can’t understand what they are saying. i will message the author to get a proofreader from the forums. grammar yes it’s important you want the sentence you are reading to make sense you don’t want it a Yoda style. punctuation again important! sure we have animations but when reading episode you are mostly focused on the speech bubble rather than the character so it’s nice to know how they are expressing that sentence.

the example you gave yes.

different angles of a background. or city skylines from above etc. i love cinematic directing on episode.

it depends on the timeline the story is following. if it’s a five episode story and the timeline in the story goes for example Episode 1 (Year 1) Episode 2 (3 months later)… Episode 5 (1 Year later) it’s okay. it’s acceptable. but Episode 1 (Year 1) Episode 2 (A week later) and there is a deep character development sorry that’s a no.

nope i like it. it won’t motivate to learn that language (if that’s the purpose :sweat_smile:) but it certainly makes the story more immersive since they are more languages in the world other than English.

it doesn’t bother me tbh i will read a story for it’s plot and characters.

Amazing thread!

2 Likes
My answers

2.5k+ and 20+ chapters.

I prefer no choices or mattering choices. I’m not the biggest fan of non-mattering choices.

It varies, but my favorite would probably be a funny and relatable MC, as for looks, I don’t mind.

The really clueless and unintelligent ones who don’t seem to know anything about anything. I also dislike MCs who are violent towards others for no apparent reason.

Someone who’s funny, a bit of an adventurous personality, intelligent and isn’t toxic.

The toxic kind. I guess I also dislike the really, really kind ones who seem to do anything and everything for MC, by that I mean kindness and naivety is basically their only traits.

Any side characters that are original (not stereotypical) and well developed. Yes, I’d love to see them more often.

Stereotypical ones with no backstory of their own and only have the purpose of boosting MC, giving her outfits and thirsting.

I don’t mind not having the choice as long as the story is good, but having the choice is a bonus.

My favorite genre is romance, but I will read any genre if the story is really good with aesthetics, directing, plot and character development.

It’s importance depends on the story quality. If I really like the story, I won’t mind not having CC.

I prefer to play as myself if given the opportunity, but if there’s no CC, I don’t mind playing as the author’s envisioned character. Either way, I’m likely to choose choices that don’t represent my real personality.

Two just in case I really don’t like one of them.

1. Great covers. 2. Great original description. 3. If I’ve heard that it’s a good story.
  1. Stereotypical bad boys. 2. Pressing MC against the wall. 3. Kissing MC without her permission. 4. The ex who always cheated. 5. Poor grammar and spelling. 6. Toxic characters (MC or LI). 7. Mafia.

I don’t mind them as long as they aren’t on-screen for too long, otherwise I begin to get antsy and feel like I’m being held back from continuing the story.

No, just as long as it’s aesthetically pleasing, but if I know the story is great, I’ll stop caring about the covers.

It’s too broad for me to give a specific answer, but basically anything that isn’t overused.

I prefer self-made, but other people’s characters are fine if they write them well (as if they’re just other characters in the story).

Both, but if the contest is a theme I’m not really into, I’ll usually only read the winning entries.

They’re fine as long as they aren’t too long.

Don’t mind at all, as long as they’re a supporting character and written as if they’re just a character in the story rather than the author.

Around 8-9. The worst cases I’ve seen are characters wearing shorts and crop tops during zombie apocalypses and actually fighting in that sort of attire…

Hmm moderate. I’ve read stories with more basic directing but with a great storyline, I think they’re better than stories that are well directed with no plot or character development. :woman_shrugging:t3: But advanced directing with everything else to compliment it is definitely preferable.

Skip the chapter, outfit choices.

“What if” bonus scenes are my favorite.

I read both, but sound is preferable.

I can tolerate about 5-10 spelling mistakes, but only about 3 sentences that are missing full-stops/periods.

1. LI pinning MC against the wall to show his dominance and the sexual tension. 2. LI kissing MC without her permission. 3. LI being overly possessive and jealous because MC spoke to someone that wasn’t him. 4. MC slapping people. 5. Random creeps that were obvious made to look ugly in a really odd way. 6. MC admiring LI’s abs, even if he’s wearing a shirt and jacket over them.

I love funny (and cute) love-hate relationships between MC and LI before they fall in love, e.g little pranks they pull on each other etc. I also love scenes towards the end of stories where everything has built up to the moment where you expect a kiss and the characters are standing there close to each other looking into each other’s eyes.

Depends on the plot and story setting, but generally slow.

I find reader messages really annoying if there are too many consecutive translations, I also find it unrealistic for them to consistently switch between languages like that (mostly English and then one or two sentences in another language).

Very annoying. It’s becomes too bland and unrealistic in my opinion.

I don’t do anything apart from stop reading.

Don’t mind at all as long as the LI isn’t introduced really late. And no, I don’t mind if the story mostly focuses on the LI rather than MC, it’s good to see it from a different perspective.

3 Likes

Hi Dragon! Nice to see you here :black_heart:

Alright, medium. I don’t know time, I read and I don’t watch how many minutes past, come on. When I’m done with few chapters (4-5 in one row tbh, because of passes) then I’m done and maybe it’ll be hour, maybe 30 minutes. I hate that people “count someone’s time” in chapters, like come on. Seriously?

As a new writer - as @Matawrites said, when I feel like it’ll be end of chapter - it’ll be. I’m not pressure myself to write more because of length. Sometimes is 800-1000, sometimes is 1500 and more. Sometimes i add bonus scene, because I feel like I can deliver more but it’ll be too much for main plot.

I don’t mind choices, I don’t mind not having them. I’m not picky.

Good, strong, he/she needs to have a solid background/plot, not blunt person with happy lifestyle and all. “She’s rich and famous” or “he’s bad boy because he has everything” bla bla, not shaming, but I need more. What cause that she/he is like this? What is her/his story? How her/his past affects her/him now.

Blant like not salty spinach. For real, I hate spinach.

The same as MC. And because I mostly play with Female MC, LI should be also respectful, loving, honest and loyal. This traits I love see in people in real life. He can be ass, he can be tough cookie, but cheating? No-go.

Cheating b*stards :sweat_smile:

Oh sometimes I love side characters (in my story too, like eh, I can write about them new story xd). But they need to be there, I need to learn more about them, not only phone calls or trips or clubbing, you know. Give me more.

Hmm… those who add nothing to the plot.

Yes! But I hardly seeing this.
And of course I feel better to play FMC.

Romance/Drama/Mafia/College/Business/Fantasy (vampires and werewolves)

Well, I don’t mind right now having limited, I have this in mine.
In case story doesn’t have CC and characters are not my cup of tea AND plot is kinda not vibing with me - I just leave. But I think through my 2-3 years of reading I done this like 5 times. And I read a lot, like… a lot.

-12 Do you like playing more like yourself, or as the character the author makes? (Like changing the name of the MC, CC, etc.)
I don’t mind changing, but I don’t like think about names so I’m giving them mine :smiley:
Just Mi.
Mostly I play as character, I was in stage of playing as myself at the beginning.

1 or 2. 3 and more is too creepy and too much for me. Like I can’t even choose between 2 of them - THE WORST PART where I have only one ending :slight_smile: come on, I need to know how it was with other guy :smiley:
But for real tho, 2 is enough for me.

Plot, genre, recommendations and sometimes cover - but this is tricky part, because I clicked few times because of beautiful art work and then - meh. Nothing what I expected.

-15 Biggest pet-peeves?
It’s weird, because I suck with English grammar and it’s not my first language, but major mistakes makes me shiver. And I beg, DO NOT MISTAKE: YOUR and YOU’RE ;(
I have also different thinking about syntax and punctuation marks because of it, but hey, we’re learning everyday. So am I.

And also constantly errors with script/overlays/placing character or speech bubble.

Of course, if if they’re match to my aesthetic taste. :smiley:

-17 When you look at a story cover, does it matter to you whether it is edited, drawn, or maybe even a self-made picture? What kind of cover makes you click the fasted?
I don’t really know. I have simple cover that implies my title, because I was poor to buy some artworks :C

-18 When looking at the description of a story, what is the best thing an author could put in there? (Like questions, the amount they tell you about a story…)
Description must get my attention and relate to story as much as it can.

-19 Do you like to see self-made background characters or people’s characters that the author asked for on the forums (or other social media)?
Yes of course.

-20 Do you more often read stories that came from contests (whether they won or not) or just stories that aren’t made for contests?
From shelfs Drama/Romance/Fantasy :>

What do you mean, babe?

-22 What do you think about authors putting themselves in stories? When does it get annoying? (For example, if they give themselves a big role, they just randomly show up, they use themselves as background characters, etc.)
Big role is sometimes no-go for me. Background character is okay, I see few stories with “authors char”.

-23 When you look at outfits, on a scale from 1 to 10, how much does it annoy you when the outfits of background characters don’t fit the setting? (Like casual clothes in a club where the MC, LI, etc. go to with exclusive clothes)

It depends. :smiley:

Important I think. But like I said it earlier in some other topic, story can be simple but you need to have a good narration. It’s very important to me.

Come on, you should know that :smiley:
37 gems for something that I don’t need?
I can support authors by gems at the end!

Support.

-27 Do you prefer stories with or without sound? Or do you rather have a made playlist by the author? (Music, sound effects, etc.)
I never read with music. I prefer silence or my music.

-28 Since most people’s pet-peeve is grammar/spelling/punctuation, how many mistakes can you tolerate before clicking off?
I don’t really know. I saw one or two very good stories but every single ‘,’ was with spaces and my soul couldn’t take it, but oh well - stories were good so I read them till the end.

-29 Are there certain scenes you absolutely despise? (For example, a shower scene of just the MC singing to fill in some time)
Not certain, but like you said - to fill some time or add scenes that doesn’t fit? You just waste your time for coding this, in my opinion of course. No offense. I’m not perfect and I know how hard is deliver good narration and long enough episode.

Depends. If I see flashbacks and I understand MC position - it could be fast, because something happened in the past. But when I see this shy person and 3-4 later she’s all over the moon with some guy and doing sh*tty things, well… it could be a problem.

-32 When the author also writes a bit in another language, do you think it is annoying, nice, cool, or something else? And how much of the other language is too much since reading the reader’s messages can be very annoying sometimes?

If it’s correct with other language - why not. We have different characters, countries, we can deliver a lot of more.

-33 When reading a story, how annoying is it to you when there isn’t a lot of diversity?
It’s not annoying. This is author vision. You can do whatever you want.

-34 When reading a story with diversity, but the more diverse characters are purely stereotypes and inaccurate, what do you do with the story you were reading?
I think I didn’t read story with it. :thinking:

Later added question-35 Do you mind if the LI isn’t introduced right away? Does it matter to you if the story now really focuses on the LI?
I don’t mind aaaaaat all. He can be later, but hopefully not in 10 chapter, please :rofl:

Thank you for this, sorry for mistakes and thanks for reading my opinion! :black_heart:

3 Likes

For example the author showing up at the start or end of the chapter

I think twenty minutes is ideal. Not too long, not too short. As for story length, probably 30 chapters, more or less.
I have absolutely no problem reading a story without choices, especially if the story is excellent. However, if you are going to include choices, they should matter or have different outcomes. Don’t give me the choice to reject the LI that I’m not interested in and have me “cave in” and kiss him anyway. I hate that, especially if my character is already supposed to be in a relationship with the LI that I’ve been choosing throughout the whole story.
As I said in another thread, I prefer MCs that I can relate to somehow. They don’t have to be EXACTLY like me, but I’d much prefer rooting for an MC that shares my values and has similar likes and dislikes, than someone who I can’t relate to at all.
Boring Mary-Sues that do everything perfectly but still act like a victim all the time, cold and heartless MCs, the ones who only care about sex, and the ones who have no hobbies or interests aside from going to parties and hooking up with the LI. As for looks, I don’t really have a preference, but there’s one small detail that does annoy me, and it’s when a character’s eyebrows are barely visible. I don’t know why; back in the early 2000s, I did overpluck my brows, but… it just doesn’t look right to me anymore. Sorry if anyone actually has brows like this, but on Episode characters, it just looks weird.
I like guys with a kind heart that can talk about anything and everything with the MC. But I also love some good character development. In quite a few stories, I picked the LI who at first seemed a bit unkind and aloof (NOT toxic, NOT violent, NOT controlling, but not a Gary Stu, either) and those guys later turned out to be so sweet. I also like LIs who DON’T talk dirty. Talking dirty is something that I’m personally not into.
Violent, toxic, controlling LIs who will burst into a rage of jealousy just because the MC hugs someone else, and CHEATERS. Yuck, ew, nasty. I hate LIs that cheat with a burning purple passion. That, for me, is never justified. And, of course, the ones that talk dirty or can’t say one sentence without cussing is just something I don’t like in an LI.
Kids; I love kids. I mean, I’m a teacher and an aunt (well, I don’t have siblings but my cousin’s kids are my nephews), so I love it when there are little siblings, nieces, nephews, cousins, or even when the MC or LI already have their own children. I also love seeing more supportive best friends, parents, and relatives. And villains don’t have to be just straight up hateful in every area. Give your villains a soft spot for someone! Make them relatable so that sometimes, you want to root for them, but then they do something bad that hurts a character we care about.
The stereotypical friends. The ‘bad influence’ bestie that drags the MC to parties all the time. The pink-haired gay bestie that only cares about shopping and the MC’s love life. The ‘comic relief’ characters that have no relevance in the story but get their own scenes. (This is more common in telenovelas than on Episode, though).
Well, when given a choice, I usually play as a female because I am a female, but I like reading stories with a male MC, so I can see a different perspective. And I do prefer the LI to be a guy because I’m romantically attracted to guys.
I love stories about groups of friends and families, and it really doesn’t matter if it’s a high school or a workplace story. I like both, as long as they are well-done. I don’t really have a preference with genres. I definitely do not like mafia stories nor anything that’s too sexual. (Even with series on Netflix, I will not watch anything that’s rated TV-MA).
I really have no preference.
I like playing as the character the author makes, but if I’m playing as a YOU character, I usually invent a name, or name the MC after one of the characters from my stories. I don’t like playing as myself because often, the YOU characters are nothing like me at all.
One. I’m not a fan of love triangles nor having the MC go back and forth between two or more LIs. But if we DO get to choose between 2 or more LIs, I seriously hate it when authors try to force the one we didn’t choose on us, and make us kiss them or develop romantic feelings for them. Choices should definitely matter in this case.
There’s no exact formula for this. It could be that the cover caught my attention. Maybe the title. It might be because there’s something about the description that I can relate to, but also it could be because I’ve read another story by that author and like their work. It could also be because of an Instagram post or something the author (or a reader) said when promoting or discussing the story.
-15 Biggest pet-peeves?
The glorification of CHEATING, unrealistic dialogue, Mary Sue and Gary Stus, characters that have no hobbies, likes/dislikes, nor real interests, too much sex and explicit sexual references, terrible directing errors, toxic MCs/LIs, when the characters see their significant other hugging someone and just run out of the room, assuming the worst.
Not really, because most of the ones I’ve seen are just a still drawing of the characters with lots of romantic, flowery narration. There have been a few exceptions, but I’m not a big fan of most art scenes.
It doesn’t matter to me if it’s drawn or edited, but I do like it when the covers are neat, the title pops, and it actually gives readers a feel of the story’s vibe (a colorful cover for a light-hearted story, for example).
Something that actually tells us what the premise of the story is.
This doesn’t matter much to me, but if you are going to make background characters with a randomizer, at least make them look realistic. That also goes for their outfits. If the story is set in December, why is there a background character wearing a bikini?
Both.
I’m okay with them, as long as they are actually explaining something important related to the story (like translating when a character speaks another language, describing a cultural dish or festivity mentioned in the story) or answering frequently asked questions. I do not like it, however, when the author comes onto a black screen just to introduce themselves and apologize for the quality of the story.
I think it’s fine when they participate in the story as an actual character, not as the author who breaks the fourth wall and starts arguing with the MC.
I don’t pay that much attention unless it’s something very obvious, like someone wearing shorts and a bikini in December, while everyone else is wearing winter clothes.
I enjoy seeing advanced directing in stories and love learning new tricks and tips, but as long as the directing is neat and has no major errors, I’m fine with standard, intermediate directing.
“Wear this beautiful dress that your mom spent her last penny on!” (25 gems)
or
“Wear a dirty bath robe and get mocked” (FREE)
… also…
"Stand up for yourself and tell everyone you didn’t cheat on the exam! (50 gems)
“Take the blame for Regina Richgirl and go to detention in her place” (FREE)
Basically, anything where you have to suffer a consequence just because you don’t have enough gems.
I’m fine with the ones where you get to buy an exclusive dress for gems, but the free outfit choices are nice as well, and I don’t mind the “support the author” ones.
I like sound because it sets the scene and enhances the story. However, if the author makes a playlist and writes a reader’s note so the reader can listen to a particular song during certain scenes, I think that’s great. I might do that in certain scenes of the story I’m writing. However, I don’t listen to my own music while reading a story because there’s no way to know if it fits the scene.
I can tolerate typos and a few simple mistakes, but if I’m halfway through the chapter and it’s full of errors, then I don’t think I could continue. Especially if the dialogue makes absolutely no sense and sounds like it was run through Google Translate.
Filler scenes with “comic relief” characters that aren’t funny nor relevant to the story, very detailed sex scenes, when the characters are supposed to go somewhere important or do something crucial to the plot, but instead they get distracted and waste time doing something silly.
I love scenes that are actually funny, where characters are interacting with each other in a spontaneous way. I also like the scenes where the MC and LI first realize they have feelings for each other, scenes where there’s a big reveal of some sort, and scenes where an unexpected character sides with the MC.
At a medium pace… not so fast that we don’t know what’s going on, but not so slow that nothing ever happens.
I like it! Of course, it shouldn’t be in every other line since it would be hard for the readers to read the scrolling messages so quickly, but I enjoy learning new words in other languages.
It really depends on the type of story. If it’s set in a small village in a country where there isn’t much tourism or immigration, then that is diverse in itself because we get to see a different type of culture. But if it’s set in a modern high school in the United States, and all characters are way too similar to each other (and not just racially or ethnically; sometimes they are all of different ethnicities but religion is never mentioned).
If I belong to the group that is being misrepresented, I might send the author a message to try and help them out. If the author is rude and refuses to correct it, then I probably would lose interest in that story and stop reading.

2 Likes

Oh, okay! So I don’t mind if it simple and with good context. Like explaining something. :hugs:

1 Like
Q&A

15-20 minutes

It doesn’t matter, it’ll read it either way. Although I love challenges and choices that matter provide me that

I absolutely love a MC who has a sense of humor, by that I mean sarcasm very quick-witted, smart and funny. Also confident and stands her ground. I love the social butterfly kind of MC who can socialize without having to worry about what she just said. I also don’t mind a shy and introverted MC but she shouldn’t magically grow a back bone the 2nd chapter you know…if this was realistic it would take time for character development. As for looks it doesn’t matter, I personally love Full CC, but if Limited or None at all of customization is required in order to understand the story plot, then I would understand.

Hmm…Well maybe the extremely shy MC who can’t get one word out? Oh wait! I hate MC’s who let people walk ALL over them, especially if its a bully or the bad-boy LI…its really frustrating in my opinion. That’s it…

I read way too many bad-boy LI stories, or the LI who screws up and doesn’t take anything seriously. So in contrast, I want to see more shyer LI’s, more confident ones but aren’t cocky, protective but not clingy, not a total d head either. Just an overlay nice person. I’m so hungry for a LI who’s at least NICE in the BEGINNING! And for looks, same thing I responded at the end of Q3.

Well I pretty much said it in Q5…I don’t like the total knock-off LI’s, cocky, clingy, the “cheaters”, the d bags–kind.

*I like the side characters that are supportive…I’m talking MC’s best friend here. The side characters that you can count on…the one’s who the MC can call late at night to gossip on what she bought at the mall that day…stuff like that. I really want to see side characters who are opposite genders, but DON’T have crushes or a crush on each other. It’s actually really common for a straight male and straight female to be very close without having a romantic relationship, so why don’t I see it more?

One word. Stereotypes. (The best friend is a POC and isn’t straight for both female and male etc.)

I like having these.

I read everything (genre wise) except for specific fantasy such as vampires, werwolves, witches and more. I just find it really boring no matter the story…I wouldn’t say I want to see something specifically “more of” in stories because authors are getting more and more creative from what I’ve been keeping up with but I could suggest changing up the classic cliche stories? Let’s start being original people! My favorite genre specifically is Hollywood and fantasy with a little romance, but mainly Hollywood so I wanna see more business? More entrepreneurship!

That’s up to the author. If it’s extremely important for the author to keep it limited or none at all, like for art scenes and overlays, then so be it, I won’t complain. But my personal preference it full cc.

This I honestly don’t care about. Choose my name or I’ll chose it, not that big of a deal to me.

I like having AT LEAST one LI and build a “relationship” with him/her. But max is 3, because my attachment to some LI’s puts a lot of pressure on me to “Make my final decision”.

Well I know this is a messed up thing, but like most people a eye-catching cover mostly does this trick…In my eyes it appears that the author actually took it seriously to possibly spend money on a story and that speaks volumes in my book. After that would obviously be the title and the description.

Bad dialogue, bad directing, story plot makes no sense, characters interactions with other characters makes no sense, unnecessary gem choices that lead to absolutely nothing in the story of doesn’t help me reach my goal for my ending, and finally gem choices that are just bluntly too expensive. (I’ve read a story where the authors gem choice was “Support me for 25 gems”. That’s absolutely ridiculous…5-15 seems alright depending on how good the story is but 25?? H_ll no.

YESS!! I don’t understand why some people don’t :sob: But if a story doesn’t then no worries. A story does go into depth more if there are art scenes, plus it gives it more of a realistic vibe to what’s actually happening in that scene.

…I hate admitting to this, but yes :// – I usually don’t read stories that include edited covers because it’s something that seems put together with just a few editing apps and isn’t very time consuming…This correlates with the cover question because I know for some people they do work hard on edited covers, but if I’m completely honest, if I saw a cover of a girl with a sword that was edited and side-by-side the same girl with the sword on another cover but as cartoonish/realistic/semi-realistic…I’d click on the 2nd one and not look back.

I like authors that question the reader to find out what actually happens because it would leave me wondering what their talking about, if their vague about it then that’s even better too.

Doesn’t matter, I know side and background characters still take a lot of time to make and customize, so this isn’t a problem either way.

Like I answered before, I’ll read anything…In fact I’ve read a few contest stories without even knowing it :joy:

I actually like them. I know some find them annoying but I like the little interactions the authors have with the readers, it’s actually quite innovative imo.

This corresponded to my response for Q21, I think it’s innovative. Make yourself a background character, make yourself the MC’s best friend, the teacher, the dog! I love it! I don’t think it could ever get annoying for me :joy:

Maybe 8/10. No more need to be said. Proper setting=proper clothing attire. Get it right :joy:

On a scale from 1-10, I’d say 9.5/10. BUT only if its advanced directing. If the story has basic directing, no biggy…as long as the story makes up for it…

I honestly don’t mind any except the one’s where you have to pay in order to see another ending.(not bonus scenes or supporting the author)

I love gem choices that offer bonus scenes, the “what happened when the MC wasn’t in the room scenes”, the supporting the author scenes, extra mid-scene scenes that could potentially effect your ending (go on and date to find out the secret code or stay at home and watch a movie and hope for him to spill<<those kind.) and the gaining more ___ points to effect your ending.

I love sounds in a story. I will always turn my volume up if a story includes them, especially thriller and horror ones (they emphasis on the “spookier” scenes with the horror_reveal kinds of sounds&music)

1-3 chapters, and I’m out.

I’ve never thought about it…so no as of right now. But if you mean too intimate, too descriptive of scenes for like mystery scenes (death scenes) or romance sexual scenes, then that would be mine.

Anything other then what I said in Q29.

As slow as possible, I want at least SOME realistic development in stories.

I think it’s very cool and I end up learning a bit too, since I’m interested in learning other languages I find it fascinating. And maybe don’t speak too much of another language in dialogue because a reader message is roughly 2-4 seconds right–and your trying to read dialogue AND read the reader message, yes it can be overwhelming and I might get lost…

Aw I find it very annoying when authors don’t expand different races, ethnicities and sexualities. I feel like their excluding them :pensive:

Depends. If a story is good I’ll keep reading, despite the stereotypes that occur. But if its already a terrible story plot then I’ll click off without a doubt.

I actually prefer the LI gets introduced later on in the story. It makes more sense because I would like to get to know the LI before I want to make him look attractive and what not. Along with the MC. I like it when the scene starts off with a character having a conversation and the narration explaining a bit of info on the MC/LI, it just helps me narrow down about what I’m getting into with this story. And no, it doesn’t matter if the story then focuses on the LI.

That took so incredibly long, roughly 45 minutes to 1 hour :sob:. Props to everyone who did the q&a, BUT hopefully this helps you out? :relaxed: :thinking:

4 Likes

As a reader, I don’t particularly have a preference too much. If the plot is good, I don’t mind reading longer chapters, but sometimes I have to exit out and come back to them if they’re too long, just because I don’t have much time to sit down and read something all at once. So, as a writer, I tend to make my chapters 7-12 minutes long. I think. If a chapter ends up being more than 15 minutes, I end up splitting it.
II don’t really have a preference about choices. I think if the choices don’t matter at all, then they’re kind of pointless, but I can understand how they keep the readers engaged. I would read a story with or without choices, so it doesn’t matter.
A nice and kind MC!
Mean ones. Lol.
Good boys :heart: I also love shy LIs.
I don’t like player boy LIs. I don’t like LIs that try to make the MC jealous by kissing others, lol.
-10 Favorite kind of stories?
High school/college stories with good boy LIs.
It depends. I usually don’t CC (or just change a few things) when I read stories. But I think most readers prefer CC, so I guess it would be good to have it.
Previous answer. I never play as myself, haha. If they ask to pick a name and don’t give a suggestion for a name, I just think of some random name.
This one doesn’t matter to me. Any amount, but I think if you have more than 5 LIs, then you won’t spend as much time with the LI you want… like, it’ll get too confusing and too much.
Whether I think I will like the plot and if the cover looks cute.
They’re fine as long as they’re well done. Like, not too slow with the zooming.
One thing I find weird is pictures of actual people on covers… it feels weird because episode is like a cartoon. Otherwise, it doesn’t matter. But I especially love cute, anime-like covers. I think that a cute cover (not realistic drawing, but an anime style or semi-realistic) would make me click on a story.
Make the description have good grammar, and don’t make the sentences too long, lol.
I would say, don’t do it in the beginning. A lot of readers might get bored if they have to watch an author talk at the beginning of the story, so that’s just my suggestion.
I don’t pay attention too much, lol.
I think this is pretty important. Advanced directing can make it or break it in terms of how the story “feels” to a reader.
I really dislike bonus scenes, lol. I feel like bonus scenes are still a part of the story, because they’re a part of that story’s universe. Like, I want to know more about the characters and see them some more! I end up purchasing bonus scenes all the time though, haha…
Maxing out points, outfits (I never buy premium outfits though, lol, maybe that’s why I “like” this gem choice :laughing:), hmmm… I don’t know what else.
I prefer them with sound. If a story doesn’t have sound, but has a playlist, I don’t really bother to look it up, to be honest. I don’t even have spotify on my phone (at least I don’t think so, lol, unless it’s pre-installed), so if a story has no sound, I just read it without sound. So I do prefer it if stories have music and sound, because it gives the story an extra dimension, I think.
Just don’t make too many, lol. They don’t bother me too much, but if every other sentence is a grammar mistake, then it would bother me
Cute, awkward romance scenes. Stories need more of these! I also love funny joke scenes.
35 Do you mind if the LI isn’t introduced right away? Does it matter to you if the story now really focuses on the LI?
I think that a lot of readers might get bored if an LI isn’t introduced right away. I probably prefer it if at least one LI was introduced in the first chapter.

2 Likes

Between 5-10 minutes, between 20-50 chapters

I don’t mind

She just needs a good sense of humour and be likeable enough

Annoying, selfish, no personality etc

Most tbh

No personality, too jealous

Funny, worthy of a spin off or at least a little storyline in the story

The ones that are only there to support the mc

I always play as a female but if that isn’t an option then I don’t mind

I love everything tbh, especially fantasy

I like it but it doesn’t have to be there

I do but it isn’t a must

1 - I hate having to pick and you can always tell which one the author prefers

Title, desc, cover (not as much as the others)

-15 Biggest pet-peeves?
Spelling, grammar and directing errors

Yeah

Well drawn covers attract me the most but I will look at the others

Just something intriguing enough to make me start the story

Yes!

I’ve read more non-contest stories in the past but I’m starting to read them more

Not a must but I don’t mind too much

I don’t mind it, especially when they are as funny a character as Janine in her stories

It’s not too important as long as there are jus no errors

Any tbh

Sneak peek for a new story

I sometimes listen with music but I don’t really mind

Depends how I’m feeling, I’d say maybe 10? I’m not quite sure though

I don’t think so

Just something with good directing

It doesn’t happen instantly, it takes some time

I like it!

I read the story for the plot so not too much

That would bother me a bit more

I don’t mind too much

2 Likes

Thank you all for answering, it became way more questions than I expected, but I think this can help me and more writers write their story. Since I know there are multiple “reader questions” on the forums, but those are 10 questions and don’t go over “everything” (this probably didn’t even go over everything, but it goes over a lot).

I don’t wanna tag people because I feel like that can be annoying, but serious thank you:).

4 Likes
  1. 10-20 minutes. Nothing over 50.
  2. I don’t mind choices that matter but timed choices are a no no they are the only one I don’t like.
  3. The girl you can stand up for herself but isn’t a b*tch.
  4. The one who gets jealous if a girl breathes in the presence of the LI so they go yo their friends and sl*t shame her.
  5. Someone who is sweet to the MC but doesn’t worship the ground the MC walks on.
  6. The one who tells the MC what to wear (basically what every maf*a LI acts like is what I hate).
  7. The ones with their own lives.
  8. The ones who assist to the MC’s every need like sounds like a replica of every high school mean girl drama.
  9. I mean yes I do but I usually play as a female, a change is nice tho. And as for who to date I don’t mind since I like guys and girls. But people do appreciate it. Like someone said to me that they liked that they had the choice of MC’s and the LI’s sex.
  10. I like ones where the characters have simple adult lives and I used to read business ones but I haven’t read one in awhile so I don’t know since they tend to be the same.
  11. I like CC but if there is limited sometimes it feels as though should be none at all at that point.
  12. I don’t like playing as “me” because I don’t want to name them. But CC is something I always take advantage of.
  13. 1 (I am a one man/woman girl) I would rather it focus on one rather than more.
  14. Good cover, good description and if I have seen it being posted on IG and I wanted to read it but never got around to it.
  15. Maf*a, toxic LI, stupid MC’s
  16. Yes but I hate re reading them
  17. An drawn cover is obviously more attractive but sometimes stories with edited ones can be just as good. My cover is edited and it good enough for the time being. But I don’t like ones that look as if they are from Pinterest for a wattpad story.
  18. Not describing the LI as hot (it gets old after awhile) and if it sounds like something I would enjoy. Questions are good but it doesn’t need to. Just something that doesn’t give too much away but will attract a reader.
  19. I don’t think it matters where they got them from as long as it is not default characters. They are horrible. :face_vomiting:
  20. I don’t usually read contest entries but the ones I have done read for read for have had amazing directing.
  21. :woman_shrugging:. I have used them myself, sometimes they are important.
  22. Again something I am guilty of. I don’t think it is a bad idea but maybe not as a main character but as someone who is never seen again.
  23. Oh, it is so f*ck annoying. Like please just create a new outfit. :woman_facepalming:
  24. I mean it can make a story 10× better but at the same time if the plot is sh*t the directing will not make a difference.
  25. Extra scenes and ones that are basically a carbon copy of episode originals/featured stories.
  26. Support the author and early access. I don’t mind gem choices as a whole but if I know you then I would pay gems for the first one.
  27. Sound is good but music can be annoying since I listen to my own music in the background.
  28. Although I can tolerate mistakes like spelling. I got up to 17 chapters of a story with horrible spelling and grammar and I only stopped because it became very problematic.
  29. I don’t think there is any in particular that annoy me.
  30. A cute scene of teasing the LI.
  31. :woman_shrugging:
  32. It is cool but even though I will never notice a mistake in it since I only speak English fluently but others will. So make sure that you are asking people who do know the language to check it and give you pointers. I have used one word in another language and I thought it was nice to have it in there but I asked a thread so I wouldn’t get it wrong and it so important that people do that if they are not familiar with the language.
  33. I mean as white girl from the UK it doesn’t really affect me but super diverse stories will always be better than ones who don’t include it. The question is where you are setting it. Because I am from Scotland where we are mostly white and I have only seen 3 black people who I remember in my whole life (in my town) and I have only talked to one who used to be part of the church. So if it is not common where you live it understandable but there will be someone who is “different” where you live so there is no excuse.
  34. I mean a few stereotypical characters are ok because there will be people like that but most won’t.
  35. I like when we are introduced in the first chapter even if it is just a glimpse into their life but that is because I don’t like reading a story without a LI since I only read romance unless it is R4R.
2 Likes

Damn this is long :flushed:

Summary

1. What is your preferred chapter length and story length?
I like chapters that are about 10 to 15 minutes long and stories with no more than 20 chapters usually.

2. How important are choices? Do you prefer it if the choices matter?
It depends. I also like stories with no choices. In general, I don’t always like it when choices matter (especially if I wasn’t warned beforehand) and I especially don’t like it when there’s lots of choices that do matter in a single story/chapter.

3. What is your favorite kind of MC? (looking at personality and maybe even looks)
I like a down-to-earth MC. One that’s very human in their emotions and decisions. The over-the-top ones are just for comedy imo. Regarding looks, I like it when the cast in general has an aesthetic, or even when the single character has an aesthetically pleasing look. I don’t have a specific race/ethnicity/face in mind, but I like it a lot when the hairstyle compliments the character’s face, or their color palette is well balanced and coordinated, etc.

4. What kind of MC do you absolutely hate?
Well, the opposite of the above lol. When they feel fake. Also, when you just unlikable.

5. What is your favorite kind of LI? (looking at personality and maybe even looks)
LMAO! I don’t like to have LIs. I don’t have a type either.

6. What kind of LI do you absolutely hate?
See above.

7. What kind of side characters are your favorite and do you want to see more often?
Well, they have to make sense within the plot just like any other character. Also, they need to feel human, have their own personalities separate from the MC(s), etc.

8. What kind of side characters do you hate?
When they only exist to support the MC. Why are they there anyways? Or, when they solely exist for the sake of ‘diversity’.

9. Do you like to have the choice to play as a male or female, and the choice to date a male or female?
I appreciate it certainly, but even if I didn’t have the choice for the MC’s gender I’d be fine. Different story with the LI. Because I’d rather have the option to not pursue a romantic route (when the story doesn’t revolve around romance).

10. Favorite kind of stories? (Genre, anything special you saw in a story you wanna see more, highschool, college, mafia, business, etc.)
I like fantasy (when it’s actually fantasy, unlike most of its trending section), adventure, mystery (with little of the thriller/horror elements), comedy, historical fiction (when it’s accurate, unlike most ‘historical stories’).
I dislike mafia, gang stories, highschool/college stories, millionaires etc.

11. How important is CC for you? Do you rather have limited, or none?
Not that important, but I certainly appreciate it when it’s there if I feel the need to change something from the character’s default appearance (a brow, a shade, jawline, etc.)

12. Do you like playing more like yourself, or as the character the author makes? (Like changing the name of the MC, CC, etc.)
Definitely as the author’s character. It’s hella weird to see my cartoon self go about in a context that has nothing to do with who I am.

13. Preferred amount of LI’s? And why?
Zero lol. I just don’t like romance (sub)plots. Sometimes I can appreciate 1 LI if it’s a well done character and the storyline isn’t: going to parties, messing around, getting jelly, etc… That’s just shallow to me, no thanks.

14. What makes you read(/click on) a story?
Well, the description. I get drawn to it by the cover, and if I find the description to be promising I’ll give it a try.

15. Biggest pet-peeves?
Too many to list.
Poorly written characters in general, stupid tropes like the mean girl, the $a$$y MC (or POC/gay BFF, it depends), the bad gay BFF, the bad black BFF, the girl whose personality is food, the possessive LI, the jealous partner, the foolishly naive girl (or one that just lacks common sense), Mary Sues, the sexy mafia/gang boss, mafia in general, the LI who can promiscuous but the MC nuh uh, double standards, bad diversity, poor grammar/spelling/punctuation, lazy character design, idek anymore.

16. Do you like art scenes?
I don’t mind them but they need to be done well. It’s pointless to add them for shallow and overseen stuff such as any kiss/pinning to the wall. It has to happen for important moments. Which basically equals to one art scene every idek how many chapters. Also, the art needs to be aesthetically pleasing, good quality. Otherwise what’s the point of art scenes?

17. When you look at a story cover, does it matter to you whether it is edited, drawn, or maybe even a self-made picture? What kind of cover makes you click the fasted?
I don’t care the artistic means used to make it. If it looks cool, I’ll appreciate it regardless.

18. When looking at the description of a story, what is the best thing an author could put in there? (Like questions, the amount they tell you about a story…)
I like to know the premise of the story and the direction it’ll take. No spoilers, I don’t care about names, just info that lets me understand what I’m about to read. Also, information such as the gender of MC/LI, if there are any LIs and how many, or even if I have the choice to have no LI at all, the style of the story, if it’s completed or not. These could all appear in the large cover/title as well. But what I care about is that the author includes vital information that’s true to the story. I’ve seen descriptions that omitted, for example, the mafia playing a significant role, and was later surprised with it while reading episode one or so.

19. Do you like to see self-made background characters or people’s characters that the author asked for on the forums (or other social media)?
Yes, why not. Certainly better than the randomized ones or the default actors from the portal.

20. Do you more often read stories that came from contests (whether they won or not) or just stories that aren’t made for contests?
I tend to read stories that are advertized on the forums. This is because the amount of info you can share through the forums is larger than just the description in-app. I’m also more likely to read a story if it’s on a shelf.

21. What do you think of the author’s notes?
They’re fine if done descreetly.

22 What do you think about authors putting themselves in stories? When does it get annoying? (For example, if they give themselves a big role, they just randomly show up, they use themselves as background characters, etc.)
Oof, no! :see_no_evil:
I don’t mind if they’re a bg character, big artists/painters did this too in the past and I find it funny! But giving yourselves relatively big roles when the story is not about you is just nope.

23. When you look at outfits, on a scale from 1 to 10, how much does it annoy you when the outfits of background characters don’t fit the setting? (Like casual clothes in a club where the MC, LI, etc. go to with exclusive clothes)
A solid 9 lol. Like I said, I enjoy aesthetic beauty and when everything follows a scheme. Stuff out of place really sticks out to me.

24. How important is advanced directing for you?
I can enjoy decent directing just fine. But if you use advanced directing I’m more likely to be impressed hehe

25. What gem choices do you really dislike in community stories?
Ones à la Episode Featured.
"Oh no, Dad said I can go to this once-in-a-lifetime event only if I study hard this week! Do I:
a) Study hard! [20 :gem:]
b) Give up. [FREE]
Apparently these are a thing now. Or just when, for example, you pick the free “give up” choice from above but somehow you end up attending the event anyway. Just, really obnoxious ones.

26. What gem choices do you “like” in community stories?
Support the author, definitely. Also, I don’t mind ‘maximize your points’, ‘unlock bonus scenes’, or ‘what ifs’.

27. Do you prefer stories with or without sound? Or do you rather have a made playlist by the author? (Music, sound effects, etc.)
Definitely with music and sounds. In a balanced approach, nothing extra. Playlists don’t make sense and are rather limiting imo. So I don’t use them in either case.

28. Since most people’s pet-peeve is grammar/spelling/punctuation, how many mistakes can you tolerate before clicking off?
There’s no precise number. If I keep seeing stuff like “i dicided to meet giussepe and marco but i forget we’re we need to meet i grabbed my phone and text them im so nervous” like, no thanks.

29. Are there certain scenes you absolutely despise? (For example, a shower scene of just the MC singing to fill in some time)
Lmao yes, those shower scenes should have a compilation of their own. But empty or transitioning scenes in general should have no place in most cases.

30. Are there certain scenes you absolutely love?
Well not really :sweat_smile:

31. How fast do you prefer character development to go?
Reasonable. Something like, changes need to happen seamlessly, but you start seeing visible development in 5 to 10 chapters or so. Also because relapse is very important in character development.

32. When the author also writes a bit in another language, do you think it is annoying, nice, cool, or something else? And how much of the other language is too much since reading the reader’s messages can be very annoying sometimes?
I like it a lot! It’s really cool to see how characters would speak if they did in a different language than English. However, too much of it can become hard to follow. I’m okay with a few sentences once in a while.

33. When reading a story, how annoying is it to you when there isn’t a lot of diversity?
It can definitely be annoying, especially since diversity doesn’t only concern skin color. I just get disappointed, also because I’d rather have the author write about something they feel confident about, than include stuff with no level of research and accuracy.

34. When reading a story with diversity, but the more diverse characters are purely stereotypes and inaccurate, what do you do with the story you were reading?
Lmao, I quit :wave:t2:

And I may come on the forums to see if it got called out already :eyes:

35. Do you mind if the LI isn’t introduced right away? Does it matter to you if the story now really focuses on the LI?
I don’t mind if the LI isn’t introduced immediately if there were already indications that the story features a LI. Bonus point if I then have the choice not to be romantically involved with them. As for the second question, I find it annoying if it’s about how lovely and great the LI is as a lover/partner.

1 Like

10+ but I can read extermly long chapters too.

Depends on the plot, but I’m not a picky reader so I can read both.

Well, I don’t give a damn about looks. As far as personality, unless he/she is stupidly sarcastic :roll_eyes: I can live.

:new_moon_with_face:
Stupid
Stupidly sarcastic
Trying to be a badass bitch (but is just overacting)
Jumping into conclusions (yeah you see a random girl groping your li face and quickly judge him to be not in love with you but next minute you go and do the same thing :roll_eyes:)
Two faced.

Again, looks no bar. I prefer the good, nice guys. Bad boys work too, unless they become abusive (please no abusive li. There’s a difference between bad/cocky li and abusive ones)

Abusive :expressionless:

Show more flavourfull side characters

Flat/one dimensional.

It depends on the story.

All genres except comedy (lol not my flavour)

11 How important is CC for you? Do you rather have limited, or none?

Not important at all. Anything works.

As the character. Lol keep me away from the drama :rofl:

ONE/UNO/SINGLE/O.N.E
I hate switching teams from one to another. I feel the character development also goes into toss when it’s more than one and story becomes like a joke to me. I’ll immediately quit if I see more than one li (I’m a serious reader)

Honestly, cover and title. I never read description before and I’d like to be surprised.

-15 Biggest pet-peeves?
Erm, rn the first thing that came in my mind is overly horny characters who just want to rail and that’s what happens half the story. Gimme plot.

No preference.

Doesn’t really matter. It’s just what appeals to my eyes.

I never check description before opening as I said. I only look for the number of li and if it says 2 or more. I don’t read :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I don’t even pay attention but it shouldn’t be stock characters. That’s all i care because if I see stock character, I feel author didn’t put effort in bg characters.

-20 Do you more often read stories that came from contests (whether they won or not) or just stories that aren’t made

No, I don’t read contest entries for the very reason that most of them (again not all) never get completed or continued once results are announced. The amount of stories abandoned from contests are immense

Don’t mind unless they just dance, say random stuff and don’t really give any info(meaningless one basically)

I don’t mind as long as they’re not comic relief characters (I’ve seen it happening a lot in comedy genre and it’s one of the reason that genre never makes my favourite)

Doesn’t matter, I don’t bother about outfits.

Not important as long as the general directing is decent.

Baseless gem choices which doesn’t fetch any reward (not talking about support the author. That’s good)

Anything else which makes me feel it’s worthy for gems

I’m fine with anything.

Before clicking off? Considering I never read description, I can only find mistakes once I open. A few here and there I can bear, but if it’s too much and it’s very frequent, I quit reading.

Party scenes only meant to make mc and li stare at how hot they look :skull:
Best friend choosing outfit (please can we just move on from that) :skull:

Scenes? Story makes scenes good or bad.

31 How fast do you prefer character development to go?

It’s quite objective and depends on plot

I don’t mind a little bit of it but if it keeps happening a lot like every other sentence I get little agitated.

It’s annoying if there’s just similar looking character and basic stock ones (same skin,lip, hair)

I mostly focus on plot, sorry.

Not at all! Take your time I’m here for it :grin:

I answered all @Dragon what’s the reward? :joy::joy:
Just joking. It was fun.

2 Likes
  1. My preferred chapter and story length really depends on what makes the most sense for that story, but I think 10-20 minutes and under 20 episodes works for most stories.

2. If I’m the main character, choices that matter are very important for me to feel engaged in the story, but if I’m playing as someone else, I don’t need choices.

3. As long as they’re interesting, I don’t care what my MC is like.

4. I don’t like MC’s that are abusive to others or only have their own stupidity to blame for being stuck in a bad situation without those qualities being critiqued within the story.

5. I also don’t care about what the LI is like as long as they’re interesting.

6. I hate LI’s that are abusive or demeaning to the MC.

7. My favorite side characters have time within the story dedicated to acknowledging their passions and struggles independent from the MC.

8. I hate side characters that are basically accessories to the MC, caricatures, or obsessed with romance.

9. I think it’s nice to have a gender choice for the MC, but since I’m biromantic and asexual, I really don’t care about having a LI, let alone what their gender is.

10. I like mystery/thrillers, especially crime stories.

11. I like full CC if I’m the MC, but if the MC is someone else, I don’t want any CC.

12. No preference.

13. 0 because the stories I like tend to have no need for a romantic side-plot.

14. If the description intrigues me.

15. Abusive behavior romanticized, stereotypical LGBTQ+ people that exist only to be LGBTQ+, unnecessary romantic side-plots, unnecessary swearing and authors making appearances in the story as the author

16. Honestly no. I’d rather see animated overlays/custom poses if the scene cannot be created using Episode’s assets. They also are accompanied by way too much narration.

17. I don’t care about the style, but I like seeing the characters on it.

18. I want to know the set-up for the main conflict and a little bit about the MC. Questions can be nice in a description.

19. I have no idea whether the BG characters come from the forums or are made by the author. As long as they have realistic features and are diverse, they enhance the scene.

20. Probably contest stories since contests are so frequent.

21. “Author’s notes” is kinda broad. If the author feels the information is useful, then I guess I’d like to see it.

22. It can be cool for the author to make a cameo in the story as a BG character or extremely minor character, but I don’t like authors in the story as the author or themselves. It breaks my immersion in the story. Author introductions/conclusions are also unnecessary.

23. Outfit choices are unnoticeable when they fit and a huge distraction when they don’t.

24. I love advanced directing. It can’t make an underdeveloped story great, but that doesn’t mean it’s useless. Advanced directing inspires me to improve my own directing and can make a story visually beautiful.

25. All gem choices

26. I don’t choose them, but I think options to redo a bad choice or improve your points are reasonable.

27. Doesn’t matter if there’s music or not, but I won’t bother to listen to the author’s playlist.

28. Don’t have an exact number, but persistent mistakes are super annoying (as opposed to the occasional typo)

29. No

30. No

31. Whatever is believable for the characters and the plot.

32. If it fits in the story, cool, but often it’s unnecessary.

33. Very annoying. The world has many different types of people. The setting can play a role in what characters would likely exist there and what traits they can show without social/legal consequence, but there’s no reason to have a story full of mostly or all white, cis, straight, able-bodied, extroverted characters.

34. I will stop reading a story if the POC, LGBTQ+, or disabled characters feel inauthentic to the point of distraction.

35. Doesn’t matter as long as the LI doesn’t feel shoe-horned in.

2 Likes
  1. I prefer chapters that are around 10-15 minutes long. I just can’t read chapters that are more than 30 minutes long, it will bore me, even if I really like the story. I have no preference for the story length.
  2. I love it when the choices matter, but if the choices don’t matter or if there aren’t any choices, then that’s also fine to me.
  3. Good question. I don’t know, to be honest. I just like a sweet, funny MC.
  4. A drama queen that needs attention all the time. I know too many people like this in real life :joy:
  5. A protective someone, that will do anything for you. I also like humour.
  6. The bad boys who are most likely to cheat on you, but are saying that they love you so much and that they deserve another chance (and the MC falls for it!). I also don’t like grumpy or agressive people. I just need a healthy relationship :rofl:
  7. I love the friends or other characters that will always stick to and will support the MC, no matter what :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
  8. Hate is a strong word, but I really dislike jealous people (the jealous girlfriends!) or people that just need an enemy for no reason :joy: If there is an unique reason or twist, I’ll probably don’t mind.
  9. I love it that you can choose the genders of both, because I do think it’s very important.
  10. I’m honestly a sucker for romance and I secretly enjoy cliche’s, as long as I can’t literally say what is going to happen next. I also love very funny stories, but my absolute favourite has to be paranormal activity stories.
  11. I love CC and I prefer it if I’m being honest, but I wouldn’t mind if there’s no CC in a story. Limited CC has no use to me, so rather no CC than limited CC.
  12. As I said before, I love CC and I always love to play as myself. But some authors work really hard on their characters and then I’d love to read as them.
  13. One or two love interests are fine to me. I don’t mind more LI’s, but it is just that it will be hard for me to choose :rofl:
  14. The small cover is the first thing you see, so the small cover has to be interesting enough for me to click on it. The story description also needs to be interesting, otherwise I wouldn’t read it, of course.
  15. I don’t like mafia stories and I don’t like it if I can literally tell what is going to happen next in a story (I had this once with a movie and I just couldn’t finish it). I also dislike very bad grammar.
  16. It’s not needed for me, but I do think it’s nice. I appreciate some art!
  17. No preference at all.
  18. Just a little description what the story is about is perfect to me.
  19. For some reason, I always like it when there are real people being added in a story. But I don’t have a preference.
  20. I’m not particulairy (hope I spelt that correct, lol) looking for contest entries. If I just see a story that seems interesting, I click on it. I do check the winners from any contest.
  21. No opinion on it.
  22. I did include myself in my own story at random times for the comedy :rofl: I don’t mind it at all, I think it makes the story more personal.
  23. I MEAN, I would wear casual clothes at the club :roll_eyes: But that’s just me, lol. It depends on the setting. If it’s a formal party from any royal person, then yeah, it would be strange if someone was wearing casual clothes. I would rank this a 7.
  24. If the directing is very basic, then it annoys me. If the directing is very advanced, it annoys me too :joy: I always find advanced directing very impressive, but I just want to focus on the storyline and the characters, not on the overlays that keeps moving and stuff.
  25. OUTFIT CHOICES. Literally no use.
  26. I don’t like gem choices at all, so I have no idea.
  27. I always set my own playlist up when I am reading Episode, so I don’t urn up the volume for music or sounds. I sometimes make an exception when it’s a scary story, for a better reading experience. I’d consider a playlist from the author, though!
  28. My first language isn’t English either, but I always try my best for the correct grammar and I always use punctuation marks and capital letters when needed. Some authors, even native English speakers, don’t do these sometimes, which I think is just laziness.
  29. Scenes where there’s literally nothing happening; no narration, no movement…
  30. I can’t really think of anything. Maybe some cute or funny moments between characters?
  31. Development takes time, so not too fast.
  32. I love learning about other languages, but it’s annoying if there are full scenes with that language, because the author has to translate it and then that thing above keeps popping up.
  33. Very. Diversity is very important.
  34. I just keep reading if I like the story.
  35. No, I don’t mind. I actually like it if the love interest is getting introduced later on in the story.
1 Like

Bump!

I’d say 12-20 chapters with chapters lasting about 10-15 minutes. I think it’s a skill to make a short story feel fulfilling and worthwhile. And, if a story is too long, I simply won’t start it.

Not particularly important. Choices are fine, but they often break immersion for me. Especially if the choices break the character itself; for instance, choices where the options go entirely against what the character has been built up to be.

I don’t know. It depends on the story. I suppose I’d want an MC with a pretty obvious personality, that changes according to the experiences of the story.

Obvious Self-Insert-Bait. Characters deliberately made vague so that it’s easier to put yourself in.

Well, I personally am very attracted to brave, strong-willed people. I do also find the tomboyish aesthetic appealing. Opposites attract, after all! But, I don’t particularly care if thats the LI in question. I think you should design your LI according to what your MC wants/needs in the story, rather than appeal to the reader’s own wants.

An LI that worships the ground the MC walks on. And obvious genderbent LIs, that is typical for M/F optional stories. If you make something like that, atleast have the courtesy to adjust the LI.

Side characters that don’t worship the ground the MC walks on. They’re supposed to be people, and people live their own lives as well. Unless they’re in some kind of 60’s cult.

Pretty much what I said in the previous question.

I do, as long as the characters aren’t carbon copies of eachothers. It’s more work, but yknow. It definitely improves the story.

Bittersweet dramas. Where things end well, but in a way you didn’t expect. I don’t know how to explain it better though.

Ehh, not very. A little maybe, since there’s some physiques that look weird to me. Though it depends on context.

Absolutely the character the author makes. I’m boring. Meek and boring. Why would I want to read a story about that?

One. I don’t like the idea of going into a proverbial love supermarket to pick the one I like the most, when I don’t even play myself.

An interesting idea backed by acceptable grammar. Super vague, but that’s really the crux of it.

-15 Biggest pet-peeves?

Overly stereotyped characters. The Gay BFF, the Mean Blonde, the I’m So Evil bad guy etcetcetc. I don’t mind the stereotypes in and of themselves, but atleast give the characters some depth beyond that.

Not really. They have their moments of cuteness and impressive art, but it really doesn’t make the experience any better to me. If anything, the transitions tend to be super awkward and weird.

I do like a good, drawn art piece. Especially if it fits the title in some way.

Metaphors! I love metaphors! Like, ahh, instead of “Will she find love in the apocalypse”, maybe something like “Will she find light in the darkness?” or something. Give some information about the overarching plot as well, please.

Sure. #Represent!

I don’t think I’ve actually read a story from a contest while being aware of it. So, I don’t know.

I like them. Not much else to say about it.

As long as their self-insert fits with the universe, I don’t mind.

More than I’m willing to admit >:(

If someone could tell me the difference between advanced and basic directing, I’d give an opinion. But, as with most of my other answers, focus on the story.

“Heyyy, look at this awesome dress I got for you! You’ll totes rock the party in it!” 30 Gems

“No”

“Oh… Guess you hate it then… Sorry”

Drives me nuts.

Gem choices that give additional info/scenes rather than impacting the actual scenes.

Without. I’ve read a single story with sound and I didn’t like it.

Quite a few, really. Professional authors make those mistakes a ton as well; that’s why they have editors. Just don’t have them in every dialogue box.

Scenes that’s obvious filler. Scenes that are dragged out unnecessarily long with casual chatter. Your example is a great one.

Romantic ones e_e

Slow. No one changes overnight.

I like it. In tidbits.

Honestly, I couldn’t care less. I like diversity, but I don’t like diversity in places it makes no sense. Like that new Netflix show set in the viking age revolving around an earl, but the MC is a black woman. That’s honestly insulting to me. Sorry guys, don’t kill me!

I don’t read it anymore. Good diversity is diversity that makes sense, with characters that actually feel human. Token characters are the worst.

I prefer the LI to be added later, actually. Like, halfway through the story is perfectly fine. Though, it depends. If it’s a romance about that stuff, obviously add them early. But if it’s like a fantasy story about the MC defeating the Bad Guy, then focus on that. The LI is a nice sideplot.

3 Likes