Questions I have for readers. (So I can make my story better)

So, I saw a few writers asking questions and I wanted to do the same.

1. What are your top 3 pet peeves in a story?
    Mine are: The speed of walking to a spot, that isn’t well adjusted. The “gay best friend” and the girl that is dependent of the Li

2. What do you look for in a story?
    I look for a story where there’s an LGBT option and the overall story has an importance and isn’t just background for the LI.

3. What is a common mistake a new writer will do that you always notice?
    I would say when they use too many complicated directions and overlays etc… when they don’t really have the practice to make it look really good yet. I prefer simple well-done directions than fancy and badly done.

4. What do you look for in a LI?
    This is just a question that I don’t know myself and what to see how others respond.

5. What do you think of a story where you are 2 MCs?
    I am currently trying to write a story where you play twins (f and m), so you make choices with both.

6. What type of character annoys you the most?
    The bad girl for no reason and the bad boy that’s actually just abusive.

7. Do you like reading a story with sounds?
    Yes, I love it. It makes me more into the story.

8. Do you like when the author talks to you at the end/beginning of a chapter?
    I personally don’t mind it and enjoy seeing a bit of the author.

9. What’s your favourite genre and why?
    Fantasy, without hesitation. I like being transported in a fake world. I find comfort in being somewhere that doesn’t exist.

10. Which backgrounds are overused?
    I couldn’t come up with anything so I hope that you can.

Thanks for reading and hopefully answering these questions!

4 Likes

Continuing the discussion from Questions I have for readers. (So I can make my story better):

Basically stories that have a mafia, bad boy or nerd girl that falls for a cool guy.

As long as the story doesn’t go completely haywire and is well thought out, I like it. Plus the characters need to have development and not just stay the same throughout the whole story or the whole plot is just useless.

I find that new writers seem to make episodes too short and the storyline goes too quick.

Someone that isn’t toxic for the MC, like I said before, isn’t a mafia bad boy etc… I personally don’t really care for the LI since romance isn’t a genre I like.

I don’t have an opinion on that. It’s super fun for sure but I don’t really mind.

I’ve mentioned it a lot already :sweat_smile:

I don’t listen to the sound unless I’m doing a review and need to, but idrm.

I don’t mind it.

9. What’s your favourite genre and why?
    Horror, Mystery, Fantasy, thriller, all that fun stuff.

I don’t know :sweat_smile:

Hope my answers were helpful :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you so much for your answers :).

1 Like
  • What are your top 3 pet peeves in a story?
    Overused mafias, bad boy falls for innocent girl and rushing the story.
  • What do you look for in a story?
    I personally look for excitement and good directing, if the story doesn’t interest me and it doesn’t have good directing, then I’m out.
  • What is a common mistake a new writer will do that you always notice?
    To me, the most common mistake a new writes make is not planning the story out very well, sometimes some scenes will feel too rushed or too unnatural.
  • What do you look for in a LI?
    I look for independence and a good personality, definitely not abusive, but isn’t only living to drool over the MC.
  • What do you think of a story where you are 2 MCs?
    Ooooooohhh yessss. My story has 2 MC a female twin and a male twin just like yours. I actually like it, because I get to see the life of two very similar yet different people.
  • What type of character annoys you the most?
    The MC that cries all the time, the MC that has no life besides drool over the LI, the teacher that likes the student, vice versa, abusive gang or mafia leaders and the mean girl who has no other personality trait besides wanting to ruin the MC.
  • Do you like reading a story with sounds?
    Yeahhh, I feel a bit bored without them.
  • Do you like when the author talks to you at the end/beginning of a chapter?
    I don’t really mind, but if they talk on and on and on about the same information, then I get bored.
  • What’s your favourite genre and why?
    Drama, romance focuses too much on only the MC and LI, so my favorite is drama.
  • Which backgrounds are overused?
    Hmm, I can’t think of any right now but maybe the hotel bedroom one??

Thank you! I’ll take in consideration everything you said ! And I’m happy you like the 2MCs idea.

1 Like
    When LI and MC doesn’t have to go to work, school, or have any hobbies.
    MC having a strong opinion about stuff but doing the opposite because her funny friends said so.
    And too weak MC in general.

Strong character development and something unique.

Punctuation. I mean English is not my first language, but if there is no dot at the end of the sentence it annoys me so much. :sweat_smile:

Brain :sweat_smile: I smart LI that has an opinion about things and does more in the story than just runs after a girl all the time.

I think it’s really cool and fun. I like that idea. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Based on stereotypes.

I do not.

Yes, I like seeing author.

9. What’s your favorite genre and why?
    A mix of comedy, drama, and romance. I don’t know why but I guess it’s just closer to reality. :woman_shrugging:

I don’t know actually. I don’t get bothered by backgrounds as long as it’s good quality.

That’s just my opinion. :sweat_smile:

Well thanks for your answer! :slight_smile: I’ll keep it all in mind. And I always put punctuation haha.

1 Like
  • Cultural and religion in-appropriation and misrepresentation.
  • No strong female characters and pretend to be strong female characters but actually aren’t…just a replica of the mean girl gone worst.
  • Common syndrome habits in stories (faces, behaviours, personalities and plot predictability)
  1. What do you look for in a story?
    Complete originality in plots and solid well develop characters.

2. What is a common mistake a new writer will do that you always notice?
    Directing and no sense of plot direction flow.

3. What do you look for in a LI?
    Nothing. I have to the point I don’t see the point of LIs as most are just so…

4. What do you think of a story where you are 2 MCs?
    Fantastic. I have 3 but it’s very subtle so you won’t notice haha.

5. What type of character annoys you the most?
    No personality MC that just revolves around LI where both has no character growth and it’s all about appearances not logic, lust mistaken as love and nobody learns from their mistakes. There’s more I could go on but i rather not.

6. Do you like reading a story with sounds?
    Yep!

7. Do you like when the author talks to you at the end/beginning of a chapter?
    Absolutely not for those stories where it is for every episode. Please no. But if once or twice I’m ok with it and especially if it is done uniquely, I’m more than alright with it.

8. What’s your favourite genre and why?
    I don’t really have any…but I’m more into Mystery, Adventure, Fantasy, Thriller and Horror. Not necessarily that order.

9. Which backgrounds are overused?
    The alley at the back where the MC always gets either kidnapped, abuse, rape, potentially kidnapped or abuse or rape then save by LI and others.

1 Like

Great! Thanks for your help.

• Stereotypes for practically every character
  • When the MC see the LI and “falls head over heals”
  • Illness’ or traumatic experiences which aren’t presented well

A story which has good character development and good advanced directing - when the directing is bad it really puts me off

Very quick characters developments or trying to make them different from the stereotypes but failing. Also bad spot directing and layers

Probably someone that is protective over the MC but isn’t controlling. I like it when they’re silly/funny too.

I like the idea, it has to have an equal amount of screen time for both of them though otherwise it starts being harder to read

• The typically traumatised MC/LI from the start
  • The popular girl that is mean for no reason

I never read with sound on, I like to just use my imagination :sweat_smile:

I don’t mind as long as it isn’t too long

Fantasy because it’s like you’re in another world - it lets me forget any worries and just be with the characters in their world

Not many since a lot of them are accurately used so it’s not noticable - however EXT. NORTH PHILADELPHIA ALLEYWAY - NIGHT is used in a LOT of stories as the place where the MC gets attacked or something and it gets quite predictable after a while

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for your answers! I have really similar opinions :slight_smile:

2 Likes
  1. An unlikeable MC: MCs shouldn’t be perfect, and I understand that there must be room allowed for character development. But, when the MC is mean/entitled/rude for no reason and that isn’t changing throughout the story? It’s really hard to sympathize with a character you dislike, and that can be really disenchanting to a reader.
  2. Toxic relationships between the MC and LI(s).
  3. Character traits based on sweeping generalizations and stereotypes. Each character should have a unique personality, which their own goals/motivations/traits etc. Their personality should not stem from stereotypes based on their race/religion/sexual orientation or otherwise.

A gripping storyline. I tend to get bored with scenes that don’t help progress the story along or give any information about the world or it’s characters.

Directing mistakes. That being said, we all make those mistakes in our stories. If I’m reading a story by a new writer and see directing mistakes, I’ll still stick with it if I like the storyline, and I’ve noticed that those mistakes DO get better throughout the chapters as the writer becomes better at coding.

I look for the same qualities I would for in a person in real life, tbh. The second the LI starts displaying toxic behaviors towards the MC, I’m out of that story. For example, there’s a way to write “bad boy” LIs without them being emotionally abusive to the MC. (And there are lots of writers who have struck this balance quite well!)

I’ve only read through two stories that had this, but personally I think that these stories are just as easily playable as others.

I mentioned this already, but unlikeable MCs. Please don’t make me play as someone who I would actually despise. :joy:
(Although, again, there ARE stories that do this is a way that is actually really good for the story and use it to show character development, like “Delicious” by Viola.)

Yes! Love the sounds.

I actually like seeing the author, tbh. Although, I’m not a huge fan with the author interacting with the characters themselves; I personally really feel like breaking the fourth wall of the story pulls away from the world that the characters live in.

Fantasy, 100%. But, I’m a sucker for romance, so I will easily fall in love with fantasy stories with a strong romance component. “The Ruby Tiara” and “Finding Emerald” are my all time favorite stories on this app; they both struck a perfect balance of these things.

There’s only so many to choose from that are built for the game itself, so I don’t feel like any authors are overusing backgrounds.

Anyways; I really hope this helps! Best of luck to your writing! :heart::heart:

1 Like

WARNING: I am very bitter and sarcastic, so please don’t take this shit too seriously.

Romance

I usually hate romance on episode, unless they are not rushed and have depth, and the characters help each other positivley, and aren’t some cliche basic romance.

Tacky Background Characters.

Go outside, and take a look at people, people usually don’t have purple eyes and pink hair, unless you are in an anime or some shit.

Long Boring Intros.

Episode intros are usually a fanart of the characters for like 5 seconds, the author’s social medias, and some episode music in the background. If you wanna make an intro, please don’t make it boring.

1. What do you look for in a story?

Creativity, character growth, and tearjerking scenes. I don’t wanna read those cookie cutter copy and paste high school bad boy romances, cause those suck ass, and I WILL click off the second I see a “bad boy”.

1. What is a common mistake a new writer will do that you always notice?

Fast pacing and lack of emotion. Many stories feel bland and rushed, and the dialouge is so fucking robotic I feel like I’m reading a sci-fi robot love wattpad story. Like, if I wanna see robots fall in love, I’ll watch Wall-E :skull:

1. What do you look for in a LI?

A unique person who has flaws and beauties, but also grows in the story, and is not a KIDNAPPER OR A DAMN TEACHER!

1. What do you think of a story where you are 2 MCs?

Body switching, or a two perspective story of different lives, like Carole and Tuesday, for example.

1. What type of character annoys you the most?

Bad boys who are just dicks and basic MC’s that let people trample over them or use cringey ways to defend themeselves, and they always let the bad boy get his way with her, and she is always horny but shy, homegirl be like;
“He told me to shut up :shushing_face: but his breath was hot :heart_eyes: it smelled like mentos :crazy_face:

STFU

1. Do you like reading a story with sounds?

Only if y’all don’t use that guitar romantic music fuckery, cause it makes shit awkward and I cringe. Use ambients instead.

1. Do you like when the author talks to you at the end/beginning of a chapter?

No.

1. What’s your favourite genre and why?

Mystery and horror, I love solving mysteries! Bonus points if there is no Li.

1. Which backgrounds are overused?

Idk about yall but this shit be looking like a damn therapy.

Them pastries must be good if EVERY MC WORKS THERE AND THE MEAN RICH BITCH GOES TO EAT THERE WITH HER BOYFRIEND WHO IS YOUR LI.

It looks like my grandma’s spare room.

4 Likes

Omg I love your feedback. But you forgot the most overused background “TheBackAlley!” :joy:

1 Like

omfg YESS I HATE THAT ONE WITH A FUCKING PASSION

1 Like

Okay!Thanks for taking time to answer all the questions!

1 Like

You really made me laugh! x) Thanks for your answers.

1 Like

No problem sisss!

1 Like

Loool I actually love all of this!! :joy::joy:

Now I know what NOT to do when writing my story :eyes::eyes:

So thanks :sweat_smile:

1 Like

No problem :japanese_ogre: :japanese_ogre: :japanese_ogre:

1 Like