Questions I Have on Writing My Story

Hi! I am Crestfallen, a new writer here in Episode. I have been a reader for a while now and I noticed that there has been a lack of Fantasy stories that aren’t about vampires or werewolves. So I wanted to write a Fantasy story of my own, but I have some questions that I pondered on while I was writing my story. I would really appreciate it if you’d answer them!

1.) What makes a good intro?

As a reader, intros were always the hook. It determined whether I would read the story or not. And now as a writer, it is really hard to make an intro that is not clichè or boring. I want your ideas on what makes a good intro so that I can pool those concepts. Also, bonus question for this, what is a good length for the intro?

2.) How much love interests do you think is good enough for the MC?

Honestly, I originally planned on making many love interests so that it can be as realistic as possible (because you aren’t limited to two or three choices irl) but it can be hectic. I have also seen that many people prefer it if there is less love interests.

3.) Would it be considered breaking the Terms of Service if I were to put scenes that go against races/sexual orientation/etc.?

Again, like I said, I want to make the story as realistic as possible by adding scenes of discrimination. But I fear that it may trigger some people (in a bad way) and that it may go against the Terms of Service. The scenes aren’t promoting going against these people, but more of showing a representation of our current world. So I am pretty much caught in a dilemna on this. Also, bonus questions: Do you think I should remove these scenes? If no, should I put a warning beforehand (as I do not want to offend or trigger any readers)?

4.) Do you prefer the MC being the chosen one or just a normal person?

The MC being the chosen one is a bit cliche but I also want to make the readers feel as if they hold a special role in the story. I also want them to experience using powers, etc. but I also feel like making the MC a normal person would make it more realistic and less clichè.

5.) What should I not add in my Fantasy story?

6.) Do you have any additional tips for me as a new writer?

Your answers will be appreciated, thank you! :blush:

Hello @Crestfallen, this is Sydney the moderator. Welcome to the forums! :grin: Moved this to Share Feedback since it’s about a story idea. Make sure to check out our Forum Tutorial for more info about where to correctly create topics, and feel to PM me if there are any questions. :wink:

im still working on my fantasy stories, and more will be coming so their shouldn’t be in lack of fantasy stories soon, and ill do the same.

Now for the intro, I always kinda put the cover, with text like “this story uses sound and effects, etc”

**what is a good length for the intro?
You don’t need a long intro, so im not sure about a length, but make it short. **

I would say…1.

3.) Would it be considered breaking the Terms of Service if I were to put scenes that go against races/sexual orientation/etc.?

hm…i think…its a yes, but im not sure.

Also, bonus questions: Do you think I should remove these scenes? If no, should I put a warning beforehand (as I do not want to offend or trigger any readers)?

yes.

its your chocie, the mc dont always have to be chosen or normal person. Another character can take the place.

Dont add things that are NOT related to your fantasy story.

1. If you have a grammar problem, that is okay. You can still write your story, and improve on your spelling, etc.

2. Always look at tutorials if you are stuck on something, or ask questions.

3. Congrats on being a new writer! Can’t wait to see more upcoming stories soon.

A nicely done art cover.

What is a good length for the intro?

It can be short, it just matters to you for how long you want it.

1-3 is fine.

Not really. It just matters how excessive and barbaric it is.

Do you think I should remove these scenes? If no, should I put a warning beforehand (as I do not want to offend or trigger any readers)?

No, I don’t think you should. It’d be nice to have that touch to a story and not sugarcoat it. At the least, you should put a trigger warning to warn the readers about it.

A normal person

Just keep the story related to the topic. Anything that isn’t will ruin the setting.

Add the right lips colors to each of your characters. Try to add diversity. Don’t sexualize anything that is offensive or brutal to society.

If you mean intro by creating warnings and splashes, just try and make them as attractive as possible. At the same time, it must fit the theme. For instance, if your story is light fantasy, try makimg the splashes cheerful by using pastel colours, ehile if your story is more toward adventure, try maing it mysterious, while adding some important elements that are relatednto the story. However, by intro, you meant an opening for a story, write something engaging to the readers! Write an attractive scene that a character may die. Don’t start you story by writing a cliche opening, like the protagonist starts his/her usual routine or waking up from a dream.
what is a good length for the intro?
Something less than an episode.
2. You can trigger the readers to think the protag is going to end up with a love interest but ended up with another.
Nah, just warn them!
Do you think I should remove these scenes? If no, should I put a warning beforehand (as I do not want to offend or trigger any readers)?
To be on the safe side, yes! But if it is an important scene, then warn the readers beforehand!

A normal person. Don’t write a mary sue (google it if you don’t know what it is) or something that reminds readers of star wars.

Cliches. Werewolves and vampires are a no no. Readers are sick of that!

1. Stay motivated! Eat or listen to music while you do! If you’re having art block I suggest you to watch a movie or read a book that is realted to your story.

2. Don’t write your episodes too short! It should be at least 15 minutes long!

3. Happy writing! Do let me know when your story is now!

Heyyy! So it’s me again, hahaha. Anyways, I would like to thank the people above me for giving answers, they really mean a lot to me :smile:. But I am back again with yet another set of questions. If anyone would like to answer them then I would really appreciate that.

1.) I am allowing the reader to choose their gender in my story and should I give them the same love interests? (Yes im giving hetero and lgbt+ love interests for both)

I feel like I should make it equal for both by giving them the same love interests but at the same time I think I should give both a different experience… idk.

2.) Is four - six love interests okay?

:grimacing: I know those are big numbers but I promise I won’t be making love triangles, etc. I am putting choices that matter so if you choose wrong choices with three love interests and right ones with the other, the other three will only be your options that you can end up with in the end (you get me or nah?). Despite this, I think this amount may turn away many people so I am not really sure… (oh and if u gud person you can choose anyone XD)

3.) Like I said, I am making choices matter, should I warn the readers beforehand that choices matter?

Again, I want to make it as realistic as possible and I want the readers to not feel pressured into choosing right choices but rather choosing the choices they want to make for their own outcome and not the best outcome. But I know many readers may feel a bit surprised or turned off when they see that choices actually matter whilst playing the story without being warned beforehand as many want the best outcome.

4.) Whenever they make a choice, should I put toasters saying that they did something wrong or something right to let them know if they are on the track they want to be in?

Same as the reason in previous question.

5.) Would people mind if many characters have similar characteristics?

I hate to admit it but I take so much time just to make a character pleasing to the eye. In the end, they all end up looking alike because I favor certain shapes, etc. And when I try to change them up they all look bad for some reason. And when I look back at my characters (male), 1/2 of them have the eyes ‘Deepset Downturned’…

Your answers will be appreciated! :blush:

Tbh i just want to give the readers the best experience possible