Questions/ polls for writing my first story

Hi :wave:
I decided to stop procrastinating and to finally start writing my first story, but I have a few questions.

1. What would be a good start for a story?
  2. How long should the first episode be?
  3. I imagined my characters a certain way, but it won’t affect the story if they look diffently.
    So should I add CC?
  • Yes, full CC
  • Yes, limited CC
  • No
  • I don’t care

0 voters

1. Should there already be choices that affect the story in the first episode?
  • Yes
  • I don’t care if the choices matter
  • No, only choices that don’t matter
  • No choices in the first episode at all
  • I don’t care if there are choices at all

0 voters

1. Would it be ok if I add a bit of the MCs backstory in the first episode without revealing too much?
  2. What elements should definitely be in a story?
  3. Should I give the readers the option to pick their name?
  • Yes
  • Yes, but give them a name to put in if they don’t want to put in their own
  • No

0 voters

1. Should I add reader messages or not?

Thanks to everyone who answers these polls/questions, as a thank you, you can see the picture that I made instead of writing below

open if you want

It’s name is Fluffy and I spent 2 and a half hours drawing it :joy:

7 Likes

1) what would be a good start for a story?
i’d say something that immediately draws the reader in and makes them curious to read on!

2) how long should the first episode be?
personally, i’d say definitely no more than 15minutes but no less than 7minutes, the same with every other episode.

3) i imagined my characters a certain way, but it won’t affect the story if they look different.
i said “ yes, limited CC “ or “ i don’t care “ because i like reading the story as the author imagined or i like customising the character — it’s really up to you!

4) should there already be choices that affect the story in the first episode?
i don’t need too many choices, and i don’t mind if they affect the story, it makes me think about them more if they will affect the story lmao. i don’t know if they’re necessary in the first episode though, because i feel the first episode is more for introductions.

5) would it be okay if i add a bit of the MC’s backstory in the first episode without revealing too much?
yes, definitely!!

6) what elements should definitely be in a story?
a good and well-explained plot, good characters!

7) should I give the readers the option to pick their name?
it’s not necessary for me but if u want to, sure!

8) should I add reader messages or not?
only where necessary, like for crediting for backgrounds/overlays etc. use or saying how much time has passed.

good luck with ur story, i’m sure it’ll be great & i hope i helped!! (:
—winter xx

P.S. that drawing is :heart_eyes: haha!

4 Likes
  1. at the very start, I like to let the reader customise their character and type in their name. The I like to start the actual story with a short summary of their life. Like where do they live. My start is:

INT. DAD’S HOUSE - DAY
&pan to zone 3

NARRATOR (YOU)
I live with my Grandma.

&zoom in on(something) in 3

NARRATOR (YOU)
Just me and my grandma. My parents both died in a plane crash when I was 2 years old

1. The first episode should be long, cram in as much build up as you can. At least 7 minutes. Get the readers hooked. Shorter episodes make readers feel like they’re wasting passes when they could use 1 for double the time in a different story.

2. My limited customisation is a key part of my story. If it’s not then, don’t put any limitations on it as readers LOVE to feel like they’re playing as themselves.

3. In my opinion - not really. Make a choice that will be remembered in a later episode like “the clothes you bought 3 years ago” to make the readers feel like their choices matter but not matter so much that it affects the whole story because
    A) it will be hard to remember and code everything from episode 1
    B) Sometimes I feel like I’m pressurised to make important choices in episode 1, try to ease them in.

4. Yes! That is the most common and best way to start a story. It builds a “bond” with the reader and MC. It’s all about thinking what the readers love.

5. Choices - I hate reading story’s with maybe 1 choice per every like 5 episodes. Make the readers feel like they matter in the characters life!
    Spot directing - spot directing is very helpful to fit in many characters which makes it look more professional.
    LOT’S of testing - It’s simple, nobody likes it when the characters and zones are all over the place. It makes me stop reading it.

6. Yes! I prefer to play as me! Lots of readers love to control their own life, not some one else’s.

7. Yes, but don’t hover overboard. They can help readers understand what words mean, what’s going on, sometimes even if what a character said was good or not.

Sorry this was lengthy. If you have any more questions don’t be afraid to ask :blush:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.