Quick poll on character customization

So in my new story, I’m at a slight impasse here. I know I won’t be really writing that much at the moment, but I would love some input before I try to implement any of this.

My new story is a high fantasy that I’m doing in Limelight (It’s my first Limelight story and this is me testing the style out to see if I truly like it or not). It’s centered around a traveling bard named Thorn Donnely. It’s also my first romance story (I need to see if I can write romance or not once and for all :sweat_smile: :laughing: ) and I’m not sure what to do for customization. Should I do partial customization or none? Because there are things that are important to me to stay in the story.

• First off is Thorn’s scar on his eyebrow (therefore the eyebrow shape with the scar), and his freckles. If I gave customization for the rest of him, would this be okay?
  • Next is his first love interest, Cael Jakande. He’s from a Southern Continent and all natives born there are POC. He has dark skin and I want to keep him having dark skin. So if I were to give partial customization, you would have very limited skin tones and I would limit hair color and style, and eye color as well.
  • The second love interest is an elf named Ialyn. He has long, turquoise hair and purple eyes that would be kept the same. (His reason for long hair is secret for now, but him having long hair is actually important to the plot and I just absolutely love the color. The eye color is also important). So you could customize everything but his hair and eye color.
  • The last one is a mage named Galen Tolland. He’s got a lot more lee way and I only want to keep the beauty mark on his cheek. I’m debating whether or not to make his blonde hair also stay, but I was torn on that because it’s more personal preference and because I want him to match his face claim.

Knowing a little more now, maybe you guys can help me decide? I’d LOVE some opinions on this because I’m truly stuck on what to do here.

Should I add customization or not?

• Limited Customization
  • No Customization

0 voters

2 Likes

Ooo, I’m loving the characters already! My personal favorite is no customization for stories like this, although I think limited customization works as a nice compromise for readers. My only advice would be to consider whether you want to do expression overlays down the line, because if you do, they won’t work with limited customization.

1 Like

Thank you so much! :see_no_evil: And haha, that added explanation is super helpful! Especially since the poll is so close so far :sweat_smile: And I’m not really the kind to add expression overlays. That requires artistic ability I do not have. :laughing:

1 Like

If you don’t mind, you could just add limited customisation to make your story more attractive to people who want to customise. People who think like me, and the 11 other people who voted for no customisation, would probably not customise anyway :thinking:

1 Like

I can’t wait to read it once it’s out! The characters sound lovely already :heart_eyes: At the end it’s completely up to you, but if I were in your position, I don’t think I would add customization. Seeing as you already have all your characters figured out and their corresponding characteristics. Good luck!

1 Like

That’s a good idea! And I think I might be leaning towards that way, especially since the poll seems so close. :sweat_smile:

Oh, thank you so much! :see_no_evil: and I’m still considering it! I wasn’t expecting the poll to be so close. Haha

1 Like

@Sydney_H you can close this thread! I think I might have an answer! Even though this poll is so close. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Topic closed by OP request. :smiley:

1 Like