Quick question šŸ˜›

Hey, Iā€™m looking for a wordā€¦ How do you call the place where people wash your clothes, and iron them? In French we call it ā€œpressingā€, but I feel like itā€™s not a common word in Englishā€¦ Is there another word for it?

xx

5 Likes

laundry?

1 Like

I live in London and itā€™s called a ā€œLaundrette.ā€

2 Likes

As in like a business where they wash your clothes and u pay for it or just a room in your house?

1 Like

Laundromat is the name of it in the US. Itā€™s for washing your clothes.

For dry cleaning and ironing, itā€™s called the ā€œDry cleaners.ā€ ā€” Iā€™m not sure if thatā€™s everywhere in the US though.

6 Likes

Yes, you bring your clothes and they wash and iron them, then you can come and pick them up :slight_smile:

1 Like

You do it yourself in laundries, right? Isnā€™t there a place where people wash and iron your clothes, then you can come and pick them up?

1 Like

You do it yourself at the laundromat.

I believe thatā€™s the ā€œDry cleanersā€ where someone does it for you.
Someone can correct me if Iā€™m wrong.

2 Likes

Not really sure bout other people washing your clothes for youā€¦But, a Laundromat is a self service laundry with washing machines for which you pay and wash your own clothes.

2 Likes

I live in England and around my area, itā€™s a laundrette where you can do it yourself and the dry cleaners where they do it for you.
Hope that helps :heart:

1 Like

Yes, thank you!

1 Like

@FeraligatrFTW @Lana_Carter Thank you!

Dry cleaners is what we call down in the Pacific Northwest. Typically you donā€™t say ā€œdry cleanersā€. If you stain your clothes and say, ā€œwe can go drop that by the cleanersā€.

1 Like

so, a laundromat is the most common. this is a self - service one. typically lots of washers and dryers in a building a machine to dispense coins from bills you insert in order to use them if you havenā€™t brought your own. occasionally thereā€™s someone working or keeping an eye on things inside, but a majority of the ones iā€™ve been to tend to just have cameras and only clients inside since this is self service where you simply use the machines to wash and dry them yourself.

thereā€™s also dry cleaners, which typically people send only a few clothing pieces or bedding to in order to get cleaned, thereā€™s not many i know of that will send the entire wardrobe with, if any, to a dry cleaners though. itā€™s primarily for those items made of nicer materials that a regular washer and dryer might ruin. theyā€™ll usually clean / iron and they can be picked up at a later time.

1 Like

@peachpaste @lynne.harper
I was talking about dry-cleaners then ahah, thanks for your answers!

2 Likes

Ironing?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.