Quick question 😛

Hey, I’m looking for a word… How do you call the place where people wash your clothes, and iron them? In French we call it “pressing”, but I feel like it’s not a common word in English… Is there another word for it?

xx

5 Likes

laundry?

1 Like

I live in London and it’s called a “Laundrette.”

2 Likes

As in like a business where they wash your clothes and u pay for it or just a room in your house?

1 Like

Laundromat is the name of it in the US. It’s for washing your clothes.

For dry cleaning and ironing, it’s called the “Dry cleaners.” — I’m not sure if that’s everywhere in the US though.

6 Likes

Yes, you bring your clothes and they wash and iron them, then you can come and pick them up :slight_smile:

1 Like

You do it yourself in laundries, right? Isn’t there a place where people wash and iron your clothes, then you can come and pick them up?

1 Like

You do it yourself at the laundromat.

I believe that’s the “Dry cleaners” where someone does it for you.
Someone can correct me if I’m wrong.

2 Likes

Not really sure bout other people washing your clothes for you…But, a Laundromat is a self service laundry with washing machines for which you pay and wash your own clothes.

2 Likes

I live in England and around my area, it’s a laundrette where you can do it yourself and the dry cleaners where they do it for you.
Hope that helps :heart:

1 Like

Yes, thank you!

1 Like

@FeraligatrFTW @Lana_Carter Thank you!

Dry cleaners is what we call down in the Pacific Northwest. Typically you don’t say “dry cleaners”. If you stain your clothes and say, “we can go drop that by the cleaners”.

1 Like

so, a laundromat is the most common. this is a self - service one. typically lots of washers and dryers in a building a machine to dispense coins from bills you insert in order to use them if you haven’t brought your own. occasionally there’s someone working or keeping an eye on things inside, but a majority of the ones i’ve been to tend to just have cameras and only clients inside since this is self service where you simply use the machines to wash and dry them yourself.

there’s also dry cleaners, which typically people send only a few clothing pieces or bedding to in order to get cleaned, there’s not many i know of that will send the entire wardrobe with, if any, to a dry cleaners though. it’s primarily for those items made of nicer materials that a regular washer and dryer might ruin. they’ll usually clean / iron and they can be picked up at a later time.

1 Like

@peachpaste @lynne.harper
I was talking about dry-cleaners then ahah, thanks for your answers!

2 Likes

Ironing?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.