Racial representation in entertainment industry. Opinion for discussion

It isn’t that off topic. They’re black superheroes that everyone forgets about that deserve more love ^^

Also Rocket.

3 Likes

It’s true.

Justice League is the best superhero team.

Animals are less presented than POC in movies tbh :smiley:

1 Like

:thinking: I can see that. Because movies are more often about people, not animals. X’DDDDD

just reminding you :wink:

1 Like

<3 <3 <3 <3 No problem ^^

IKR X_X my dog deserves better

2 Likes

My CAT deserves better. Everyone thinks cats are evil, evil creatures. My cat is a loving little precious baby ^^

1 Like

That’s ridiculous ^^ not everyone.

2 Likes

All generalizations are never perfect, Cookie ^^ You know that! <3

EXCEPT FOR! All Texans love Texas ^^

That one’s always true.

2 Likes

I think you are missing the actual definition of racist here. A racist is, according to the Oxford Dictionary, “A person who shows or feels discrimination or prejudice against people of other races, or who believes that a particular race is superior to another.” This means that they believe there race is BETTER than others. People who fight for diversity in entertainment are typically doing this because they feel that there race is the superior one; they just want to be fucking represented (pardon my french). You say that you don’t see color but instead just identify with the character, to which I say; you have been affected by their skin color whether you consciously aware of it or not. To put it bluntly: you wouldn’t have made this thread if you didn’t notice skin color :woman_shrugging:
Also, Asians ofc want representation, and to brush them off is hurtful. They are just as valid and want to see themselves represented just as much as any other minority.
So please, be more cognizant of your words in the future. Your mentality is actually very toxic and harmful, and I hope you will reconsider what you define as “racist.”
Hope this helps!

2 Likes

Exactly and this goes for many other people. I hate it when people irl say “I don’t see color” but mentions race in some topics that doesn’t even involve it. People on these forums even talk about it but complain when minorities mention it. Sad but true. :woman_shrugging:t5:

3 Likes

I was so pissed with your story promotion, that I didn’t take time to read your post actually.

Your judgment is very quick and based on one post, and I hope you reconsider being such a stuck up person in the future, and also read forum rules ^^
I’m so over people calling me racist and hateful and other words. But hey, maybe I am wrong, and I am just utterly toxic and harmful for this community, and I can’t see it myself. Please share your view. Promise to delete myself from Forum in a dramatic move if the majority has the same opinion.

Am I really toxic and hamrful?

• Toxic as a Plutonium, please just go away Cookie.
  • Nope.
0 voters

“I don’t see color” is the most weakest and pointless statement I have ever heard people say when it comes to race. Honestly, it usually an excuse people use for the racism at times. Sorry not sorry.

4 Likes

She wasn’t calling you racist, she said you need to rethink the idea of what you think is racist or what makes a racist.

2 Likes

gotta love when people say dramatic statements without elaborating.

It’s not dramatic, it’s my opinion. Just like you have yours, I have mine. :slightly_smiling_face: I said what I said.

1 Like

Everyone sees colour. It’s a ridiculous argument to claim that you don’t. Everyone sees colour, but not everyone allows the colour they see to affect whether they make a character an MC or not. My characters are of all different creeds and colours because I don’t care if they’re black, white, Asian, mixed or otherwise. I care about writing a good story. I sometimes choose to write about mixed characters because I am a mixed girl and I want to represent my racial experience. You always see colour. It’s what you do about seeing colour that matters.

Now onto something that I read recently to anyone arguing that Episode people and the media in general do what sells: Black Panther sold more at box office than Avengers did. Why? Well, because a lot of people went to see Black Panther because it was about a usually marginalised group of people. Diversity sells, so anyone purposefully leaving it out of their story isn’t doing it to appeal to people. Anyone arguing that they write about white only characters to get reads and/or appeal to people is either ignorant or racist. WHITE IS NOT THE DEFAULT STATE OF EXISTENCE. HUMAN IS.

Yes, it’s true that Hollywood does what sells. And Diversity sells. That’s why there is a growing number of diverse casts and stories. It is as simple as that.

Now, onto what I read recently:

I think you mean that they don’t feel their face is the superior one, but I agree with most of what was said.

This is counterproductive.

I’d love to know what forum rule you think was broken.

What was hateful?

3 Likes

Funny how she says that when she has broken countless of forum rules way before.

1 Like

It doesn’t have to be one or the other, either. I think you bring some important views into the argument, but some of the things you say sometimes are counterproductive and unhelpful. That doesn’t mean you as a whole are toxic.

1 Like