Racial representation in entertainment industry. Opinion for discussion

Ah, thanks. I agree somewhat.

1 Like

What are you even talking about? You just said if there weren’t any minorities on TV then you’d have a problem. So I’m asking you, do you truly believe that the representation of minorities in media accurately portray them? You haven’t once stated how minorities are portrayed in the media in your eyes because “you don’t see race.” So I’m under the impression that you have no idea how they are represented and yet again, know nothing.

I’m not sure what you mean about black actors playing black characters. But it’s really something that you hear people complain about every movie not having black actors who happen to be black.

3 Likes

But, just because we are of a smaller quantity, doesn’t mean it’s okay that we aren’t shown as much. That isn’t fair. Enough means an equal or far amount. They should show a fair amount of us. Also, just because they have us, doesn’t mean anything. We are usually stereotyped, given little roles, and backgrounders. Plus, if you compare movies that have mostly whites to ones that have minority groups, white people make up most of it. The majority.

4 Likes

Because I can’t judge how certain minorities are being portrayed, because I am not one of them. How do I know, if I don’t have any let’s say friends or relatives? I have muslims I know, gays, other nationalities. But that’s it.
And I have to agree with someone (I forgot nickname), that your race/sexuality/younameit doesn’t define your character. So what do you call a fair portrayal of minorities?

1 Like

“Fair” is a very vague and blurry concept to be honest. What’s fair to you, isn’t fair to another person.

1 Like

But you seem to think it’s “fair” that whites are seen as the main majority of the industry, yes?

1 Like

All the media that I see in America, the more “woke” it is, the less successful it is. We should be creating stories with good plots and interesting characters, regardless of race.

That’s the point. I like having main characters and side characters of any and all races, but what is more accurate, especially for the specific story? Sometimes, diversity is forced into stories and that’s never okay because it doesn’t make sense and literally feels forced. It makes the media-viewing experience less enjoyable over all.

For example, look at video games like Dragon Age Inquisition. They forced some ideas to the players and it was not received well. Look at Andromeda.

When writers force things that make no sense and even contradict previous points in their lore or even in literal history, it isn’t received well.

You can’t have a historical story taking place in 18th century France and 50% of your cast be free black men. It is historically inaccurate. You can’t have a story in rural China and 50% of your cast be non-Chinese. It is just inaccurate and not taken in well by viewers.

If the representation is all that matters to people, then that’s a problem. Let’s not force diversity where it doesn’t belong. We should have realistic stories.

The population is 12% black, 76% white, 18% Hispanic, and 6% Asian. So our media should represent these people with correct percentages if we’re just talking in general. IN AMERICA*

However, if we have stories about like…the Yakuza in America, then the cast would be more Japanese. That makes sense. In general, though, overall, this is completely fair and correct.

5 Likes

Because they are a demographic majority in real life in US and Europe? Kinda, I do.

1 Like

Couldn’t agree more.

And to add. Of course we should have entertainment stuff about other races and cultures too, to know them and understand them better. But don’t expect to be included in everything in this area. It’s just not realistic.

2 Likes

So you saying you deserve to be shown more than us?

It’s not about what I deserve. It’s about cruel reality

1 Like

We don’t expect to be included in everything. No, we don’t. We want to be included more and fairly!

Just because it’s “cruel reality”, we don’t need to except it. We can change reality and society.

Well. Change. By making more jews I guess? Reproduction function n stuff

1 Like

By making more movies about us in the industry, show casing us more, putting us as more actors, etc. What I feel you are saying is that since we are a lesser population and whites are the majority, of course we need to except they are shown VERY MORE than us which is messed up. Very messed up.

1 Like

Why tho? Because as I said it just about business basically. Entertainment industry is about business mostly, not about doing good. Let’s be honest here.

Lesser population has nothing to do with it. Most people should be shown equally and fairly. Whites shouldn’t be shown all the time, which they are. That’s our issue. They are shown constantly, 24/7. A couple of movies about us doesn’t make it “You are shown enough.” Just because you are white, doesn’t mean you can help and stand by us with this type of stuff. :face_with_monocle:

You would be satisfied because you are shown constantly. This:

Is not an excuse and has nothing to do with anything. That’s no excuse to why we aren’t shown as much. Not at all. It’s unfair. Business shouldn’t only be the reason white people are shown way, way much. Minorities deserve recognition too.

2 Likes

They do deserve a recognition. But people need to accept the reality. You wanted capitalism? U got it :smiley: If you feel that you are excluded personally, maybe this group could unite and create these things that would represent them? That would be fair, instead of demanding other to do things up to their liking?

1 Like

We aren’t demanding them, that’s what you need to get. And you saying that we should just face that we won’t get representation makes me sick.

1 Like