Random question for all the authors ❤️

I have a question for all the authors out there.

How long do you wait to reveal secrets in your story.
Like let’s just say that you’ll have 15 episodes all together, in which episode you’d reveal it?

Just a random question ahhaah

3 Likes

that’s quite a vague question … generally i have more than one secret or twist in each of my stories . sometimes i like to place red herrings too, as it were . but if i were to limit myself to fifteen episodes i think i might allow the tension to build up until around episodes nine or ten ?

1 Like

I have like 3 huge secrets from different POV. That’s why I was thinking if I should reveal on of them thats not too huge on episode 6 and then keep going.
But I agree, that’s why I didn’t want to ruin the tension. Wanna keep them on their feet ya know haha <3

I think it would be nice for you to build up the tension and make it look like you’re about to reveal the secret at the end of every episode. Then you can just leave people hanging till the next episode.

3 Likes

Yes, that’s what I mostly do.
Thanks hun!

that question is rather subjective. it depends upon the story’s pace, what kind of “secrets” you’re going to reveal, and the story’s general plot. there isn’t one magic episode when all the secrets can be revealed no matter what the story is about. like i said, the answer to your question heavily depends upon the plot. only you know what your story is about, so that part is really up to you.

i would recommend slowly building up the tension in your story and revealing the secrets one by one. for example, just when the reader thinks everything has unwrapped, another plot twist takes place. this keeps the story entertaining. if you just reveal everything at the end, the reader is likely to get bored of the story and abandon it before that. keeping the story interesting for the readers is critical when implementing plot twists.

there’s no such thing as a right time to start developing plot twists. you can start as early as the first episode and work your way up, or start building up the tension and reveal the twist around the middle of the story. the only thing you have to worry about is starting too late. if you don’t start building the tension from the beginning, the story will get uninteresting fast since episodes in which nothing happens have no meaning.

that’s basically everything important about “revealing secrets”. i hope you found this helpful & good luck with your story! :open_book:

2 Likes

It’s very helpful! Thank you so much! :heart::heart:

1 Like

When they fit into the story. Usally i got more and they get reveal at diffrent times. When it fit.

1 Like

true true.

1 Like

It depends on what the secret is.

Timing and flow are important, too. If there is a lot to build off of, I’d put it in 7-9. If there’s very little to build off and it’s close to the end, I’d probably say 10-12.

It really depends. I write long, 30-40 chapter stories, so I have a timeline and plan everything out before I start writing. It’s most timing and flow, but in the end, it’s up to you.

1 Like

If you really want to be edgy, drop a secret right at the beginning and add context as the story goes on.

1 Like

I have a plan as well but every time I get new ideas hahaha and rewrite my plan. I don’t know if that make sense but yeah.
You’re right though.

1 Like

Oh I did that hehe
But I 'll reveal more!

Really depends on the storyline, for example with one of my stories the plan is to reveal a big secret a few chapters (could end up being more than a few though) before the finale so I can show the massive revelation (which also poses as a big “problem”) and I can spend the rest of the chapters having the characters resolve that problem or work around it/come to accept it. With another story of mine, the plan has been to reveal the biggest secret of all right at the end and leave readers in shock and question the entire story.

2 Likes

I know the feeling I have about 30 stories in planning rn that I have no idea what to do with.

1 Like

DAMN! that’s cool.
I was thinking to end it on a cliff hanger but not sure yet.
I like messing up with readers heads cuz that’s why I like as well when I read

1 Like

It’s definitely fun hehe. It makes me feel evil.

1 Like

I know right! haha
Like I’d be working or doing something and an idea will pop in my head and start writing notes on my phone hahaha.
Cuz sometimes when you sit down and write, I get stuck but I leave it cuz I know at the end my brain will unfreeze hahaha

1 Like

EXACTLY AHAH
The love/hate kind haha

2 Likes

Haha. I seriously have a whole notebook full of covers with fancy writing and summaries and character names and everytime I look at it I’m like, “omg they’re never going to get done”

1 Like