Rate the trash art (please, only honest opinion!)

So, I’ve been struggling with this for few months now and I am perfectly aware it’s nowhere near perfect. But before I carry on trying to improve, I want you to rate it.

0 voters

Last 2 examples

PLEASE, BE HONEST AT YOUR FEEDBACK.

I don’t need motivation nor compliments to feel better about myself. Do not apologise, your honest opinion will NOT offend, but help me get better. While being over polite will mess with the results and make it harder for me to work on my skills. So, please, please, please, be critical.

Any constructive and harsh criticism is highly welcome, I am dead serious.

Thank you :purple_heart:

8 Likes

I really like it, tho:

• I think that in the 1st example, the shading could be darker, especially for the boys hair, it looks pretty flat & out of place
  • Same with his shirt (1st example), it doesn’t have any texture and the shading is unnatural and makes it look like a completely different art style
  • You should add some “rosiness” to the cheeks to make them look more natural and softer

Hope that helps! :woman_shrugging:t3::cowboy_hat_face:

5 Likes

Thank you! :purple_heart: You’re right, I am yet horrible with drawing any sort of clothes ><

If you don’t mind answering this, would you say soft shadow (if I make it darker next time) is alright, or should I use more of hard ones, like making it more cartoonish?

3 Likes

Omg same!!:exploding_head::cowboy_hat_face: I try to avoid that as often as possible lol!

It depends what style you’re going for. You can use a hard edge brush for shadows, or an airbrush for example. Just never shade with pure black! :grimacing::worried: (if you want a more realistic style)

3 Likes

I am not sure what style I am going for, to be honest, since that is exactly what I’m trying to figure out :joy:
I don’t have a tablet yet, but am considering buying one if I don’t get sick with it :blush: for now I’m just using the mouse, so it was hard to find a decent brush usage tutorial. But I will try that, thanks a lot! :pray: :purple_heart:

2 Likes

Buying the right tools can sometimes actually change so much!!
Finding your style can be a really long process, but be patient, I’m sure you’ll get the hang of it!
Good luck! x

2 Likes

Thank you, your honesty means a lot :pray:

2 Likes

I LOVE IT OMG :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

This is absolutely amazing :heart_eyes::heart_eyes: it’s one of the best things I‘ve seen so far​:heartpulse: i absolutely love it​:heart:

2 Likes

You can make the face shape for characters a bit wider, as well as the swept-back hair for the guy in the second photo a bit longer. Also make the eyebrows a bit less solid, or else it would make it seem they are using loads of makeup to cover it.

2 Likes

That’s actually, a great idea, especially the eyebrows. Somehow that did not cross my mind, lol. Thanks a lot for them advices, I will try! :pray:

2 Likes

Ooo I love these!! I think the second one is top notch👌- the first one’s getting there, but i think the guy on her right needs some attention to his hair. Im not sure if its the shade of blonde, or if its the texture, but it doesnt have that same clean cartoon quality the other characters have. Oh snap- i know what it is! its those highlights actually!! The others have these KILLER high contrast highlights which make their hair a) more strandy(?)(<thats a GOOD thing) but ESPECIALLY b) glossier! Bump the highlights in his hair and you should be golden! I think his hair’s just too matte compared to the others

3 Likes

Omg, thanks for this! You are actually super correct, I’m pretty clueless with choosing right colors and shades yet. That was a very good point too, I will try to highlight more properly next time I’m dealing with blonde. Thanks again! :purple_heart:

2 Likes

Of course! Keep it up cuz they’re lookin incredible!

2 Likes

I really like your style and how you draw the eyes!
I would make the jawline a little lower for the girl in the first example. Her nose seems a little too curved and looks sort of odd…but maybe that’s just me. Maybe it’s your style, I don’t know. And I love her shirt! You can also maybe make the guy’s shoulders broader in the first example.
For the second example, the girl’s eyes look amazing! And so do her lips! Her face looks amazing!!! For the guy, his forehead seems too curved backwards. I would bring his hairline more to the front and make his shoulders broader.
I hope that helps. Keep drawing!

2 Likes

You’re also right, guys proportions go harder for me, but now that I’m looking at shoulders I think they are too narrow indeed :scream: Thank you for pointing it out :purple_heart:

2 Likes

Before I give you my criticisms, Are you aiming for a semi realistic style or cartoonic/anime manga style?

2 Likes

oh my days i love it keep it up !

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply! As for these examples, I was trying to go for cartoonish style. (but not really anime). I am hoping to try realistic style too soon, but haven’t really made any progress on that matter. So for now just cartoonish, please.

1 Like

I love your style :heart_eyes: I don’t think there isn’t anything wrong cause again that’s your own style

1 Like