Reading Mafia Stories!

Do you like to read glorified mafia stories !? :)))) :speak_no_evil: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

No!!

Summary

Good for you, carry on.

Yes! :)) They’re my favorite!

Summary

TW: mentions of r*pe and murder

I can’t believe it’s 2020 and this still needs to be said, but for all of you who didn’t listen (or care) the other multiple times this was said, here you go:

“Just because someone likes reading/writing Mafia stories, doesn’t mean they want to experience it in real life”

Doesn’t take away from the fact that you’re glorifying something that actual people have experienced and possibly lost their life from as well.

“What about the show ‘You’?”

The actor himself told people to stop glorifying his character. Joe is a stalker and a murder, in most stories, he would be the LI.

https://www.bustle.com/p/penn-badgleys-you-tweets-emphasize-that-fans-really-need-to-stop-romanticizing-his-character-joe-15732047

“But what about people who watch crime shows? Isn’t that the same thing?”

Is the murderer the love interest? If not, it’s likely it’s not actually being romanticized. Carry on watching your crime fiction.

“But these characters develop”

Murderers, rapists, abusers, etc… Don’t get to be redeemed after harassing people for years. It doesn’t work like that. 98% of the time, the abuser doesn’t even have any consequences to their actions.

“BuT thE aUtHor WorKed HarD”

Clearly not hard enough since they aren’t portraying the mafia correctly.

“So we can’t write mafia stories anymore?”

No one said to stop writing mafia stories, we said to stop glorifying them because it’s disgusting.

“BUt ThE baD BoYs”

Real “bad boys” aren’t abusers. If your bad boy mentally abused the MC and other women/men throughout the whole story, but suddenly changes just because the MC saw the “good in him” congratulations, you have officially glorified abuse.

“Let people write what they want to write”

You can write whatever the hell you want to write, but the moment it starts glorifying murder, abuse, SA, etc, don’t be surprised when people call you out on it. Yes, we the moral police are against glorifying toxic situations.

So many people have said this, but some people just don’t care. If you haven’t listened to the multiple people who have told you how disgusting, harmful, toxic mafia stories are and why they shouldn’t be romanticized, I don’t see how this thread would be any different for you. If you don’t want to care, you won’t. It’s as simple as that. For you to sit there and go to extreme lengths to dignify your opinion is insulting. So next time you decide to write a story that glorified the mafia, or decide to read one just because, I hope you keep in mind all the people who were killed, abused, threatened, raped and harmed by an organization you choose to romanticize for the sake of your story.

34 Likes

22 posts were merged into an existing topic: Opinons on mafia stories?