Red herrings in mystery stories - hear me out

So for my first story I’m writing in the mystery genre and its the classic whodunnit murder mystery with a twist, but I’m not sure how to create obstacles for my readers or how to frame other characters and lead them on without making it cliche.

i’m new at this so any advice or tips are useful :heart:

1 Like

You can make a character look strange, so readers will think he is the murderer, but then they’ll find out that the reason they was acting strange is for another thing, trust me it worked for me!!

2 Likes

thanks soo much! I’ll try it out :heart:

are there any good story examples in mystery stories you’d recommend?

2 Likes

DM me, I can send you a story plan with MULITIPLE red herrings.

I’m not going to use it, and I think it would fit well.

1 Like

@Bella221
@J.Miley might be able to give you good tips. Her mystery Chicanery has a lot of red herrings and keeps you guessing to the very end and you’re still blindsided. Highly recommended.

1 Like

Thank you so much for the advice!! I’ll check it out :heart:

1 Like

When you say obstacles if they have a choice and get it wrong do a if/elif/elif/else and some of the “ifs” will have different obstacles depending on what option they picked, is that what you mean? You will have to learn impact choices but I’m willing to help you if your not sure? X

1 Like

I mean, right now I’m tying to plan it all out so i can start writing but what i mostly mean is h0w do i trick my readers into thinking someone else is guilty or give them wrong clues etc so they don’t figure out the real killer. i think impact choices are really useful in a murder mystery and when it comes to it, maybe i could pm you for a bit of help?

2 Likes

Ah I see, well you could do the normal cliche one which is “it’s always the quiet one” or have it as the one as everyone suspects. Or what would be really a good twist would be if it was the MC and they had a split personality disorder and dont remember doing it? So no one suspects them? X do you know how to do choices that matters? X

U can check GhostWriter, I am not sure it is in the mystery section, but @EliseC used that tecnique.

thanks so much for the advice, I’ll check it out for sure! I also love the idea of a split personality disorder -that would be a major plot twist!

Thanks so much for the help everyone!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.