Remembered choices

Can I write a whole episode based on one choice a reader picked? And the next one on the other choice?
So basically if I gave my readers a choice to choose their date (lets say one date is called Calum and the other is Cole) could I do (example episode 3) for the readers who chose Calum for a date, and make (episode 4) for those that chose Cole? I’m not sure even if I could do it, that I would but, I’d like to know. I’ve searched the forums for answers and questions to this topic, but I can’t find any information.

Sorry if I explained it terribly haha
Thanks in advance :blush:

1 Like

Urm I guess. You just have to use flags…

chapter 3:

if (date_with_calum) {

goto date

} elif (date_with_cole) {

goto end

}

label date

(the date scenes)

label end

chapter 4:

if (date_with_cole) {

goto date

} elif (date_with_calum) {

goto end

}

label date

(date)

label end

I wouldn’t advise it though, it would be a waste of passes for the reader…

1 Like

I wasn’t sure how that would work, I wondered if the episode would even show for them since they didn’t pick that choice. I knew I’d have to use gains but, I wasn’t sure if it would work or if it would F up the script and become a waste of my time lol!

I don’t think you could do that because you would need to use the if/else statement and the else statement would be empty.

Or I could be wrong. But I agree with the person above me.

Usually if you do a if statement only. You don’t see it.

1 Like

Hmm, yeah I’m not sure if I should try it or not? I always wanna try new things but it could bite me in the ass lol! Maybe I could try it in a trial story for myself and see how it works? I don’t want to anger my readers lol!

I’m sure there is a way of doing it and, it working well, I’m just not sure I would know how to do it right.

Thank you. :blush:

No problem. Yeah, you should test it out.
I know two people who can give you a legit answer.

@Dara.Amarie, @JemU776
They can give you a better answer.

1 Like

Thank you so much! :revolving_hearts: I’d love to know for sure.
It was probably an idiotic question but, sure if I didn’t ask, I’d never know lol!

if (CONDITION) {
} else {
continue
}

You can leave the else section empty, or not include it. This is only useful if whatever happens after the if statement happens regardless of whether or not the reader has met that condition.

Generally, authors put the dates in the same chapter, that way all readers have similar stories, but not identical due to their choices. However, as long as you can make that episode entertaining or interesting for those who aren’t going on the date, then good luck.

Episode Guide
Make Choices Matter:
It’s important that players feel that their choices matter.
There are 4 types of choices that are especially useful for this.
Reactions
The player might discover a necklace has gone missing. The player could then decide if their character is happy or upset about this. It doesn’t change the story but helps them feel invested.
Identical Paths
Allow the player to chose to go to the mall OR to the park. Regardless of where they go, have them meet the same people. This feels meaningful, but doesn’t change your story.
Extra Information
Have a player ask a question or make a response that helps them get extra information that they may not need later, but makes them feel closer to the character who gave it.
Relationships
Create choices where how I respond to a player can create 3 different emotions. For example: Friendly, Silly, Cruel; or Kind, Sarcastic, Angry. This doesn’t change your story, but might change a couple things that character says to you.

2 Likes

Thanks! I understand that, but I’d like to allow my readers to have separate episodes. So if they choose one choice it will depend which episode will be for them. It won’t be for every episode, or every choice. It’s just that these choices will severely change the storyline and the outcome. If like to do it, rather than write two episodes into one.

Yeah. Like I said, as long as you have something in mind that will happen instead of the date.

But, best of luck. And, you should let us know when it’s published.:grin:

1 Like

Will do. Thank you Hun :heart: