Replacing the Trigger Warning Screen

Hey Episodians!

We’re updating our trigger warning screens with the app’s look and feel, along with updating their messaging.

The new version of this screen reflects our intention of proactively providing information about possibly triggering content in a story.

With that in mind, we’ve replaced our old warning screen (below) with a warning screen that we think better represents our goal of providing general content trigger warnings. The new screen below will be replacing INT. WARNING - BOTH , INT. WARNING - LANGUAGE, and INT. WARNING - THEMES, effective now!

OLD INT. WARNING - BOTH

NEW INT. WARNING - BOTH

As always, you’re welcome to voice your comments in this thread, or by reaching out to our support team.

With Love,
Episode

64 Likes

Omg! Thankyou episode!

1 Like

Very cool.

1 Like

Is it just gonna be that plain background? No colors? :face_with_monocle::face_with_raised_eyebrow:

29 Likes

Wow interesting.

3 Likes

Ooh I like the more minimalist design :heartpulse:

You could always recolor it in an editing program :blush:

17 Likes

It looks kinda boring, but it’s way less specific than the last one, which is good

15 Likes

I’m not sure it works as a direct equivalent for something about like language only.

But on the other hand, I like seeing there be an official focus on warning for triggering content even though a lot of authors don’t give the more specific warnings they should.

27 Likes

I do think this an improvement, but I would still encourage writers to offer the option to see specific details.

People might be triggered by one thing but not another. For example someone could be triggered by pregnancy plots but not gun use, so information beyond this blanket warning could be useful to that person. Almost every story uses the generic content warning background lately, so it can become almost meaningless. Someone who wants to opt out of reading a story that contains a sexual assault plot line would never be able to actually know how to do that if every story carries the same generic warning.

44 Likes

So the wording on each splash is the same?

12 Likes

Agree! I like the new design but I don’t like the lack of details in this disclaimer. Upsetting to some readers could be a million different things and with every author putting it in their story, the disclaimer will basically become useless?

If it were up to me, I’d create different disclaimers for ”mature language” , ”sexual content” , ”violence” and ”mature & sensitive themes”. The mature language for cursing, sexual content for ”steamy” stories (as steamy as it gets for Episode), the violence for stories with… Well, violence. And the trigger one for strong themes such as mental health, abortions and other topics that can be harmful to some people.

30 Likes

For these five at least.

2 Likes

There’s more than five? :hushed:

4 Likes

I’m not sure. I typed in “warning” and these showed up.

1 Like

Why do they all have the same text? :thinking:

10 Likes

There’s a difference between a trigger warning and a warning for mature themes and strong language. Though, I appreciate seeing this.

I agree a lot with @Cee said. I think trigger warnings like the one in the OP doesn’t really tell us what we are about to get into.

Some great examples for adding trigger warnings.

22 Likes

I like the new message and design, however I’m a little confused why they all contain the same message?

8 Likes

This is an improvement? :face_with_raised_eyebrow: It would have made more sense to me to add this screen rather than replace the other ones.

7 Likes

This! :clap:

10 Likes

After doing some thinking, I feel like we need a little more variety for these trigger warning screens. Maybe adding a template for the option to see/skip/learn more about scenes that may be upsetting to some viewers? Something like this?

NARRATOR
The next scene contains content that may be upsetting to some viewers.
choice
“Continue the story” {
continue
}
“Skip the scene” {
goto after_scene1
} “Learn more about the scene” {
NARRATOR
The following scene contains content such as #contentwarninghere
}

16 Likes