Replacing the Trigger Warning Screen

Are those names of all older warning backgrounds? They might all be identical just because if they deleted the extras and only had the one, anyone with the older ones coded into their stories would suddenly have a coding error, so they just replaced all the variations with the same images so as not to break anyone’s existing story.

1 Like

I want to say that there were only 3 previously. Mature language, mature themes and a combo of the two

2 Likes

I thought I was seeing things…

4 Likes

I thought so too actually, but I haven’t checked in a while, so I wasn’t 100% sure.

2 Likes

And perhaps also:

“More info about the scene first,” which might then cycle back to the option to continue or skip.

5 Likes

Yeah. I had meant to add that but I think I forgot the goto :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I appreciate what you all are trying to do.
However, it’s important to note that trigger warnings are not for “upsetting” content. Triggers are not things that make people simply feel negative emotions like anger, sorrow, or even offense. They are not just topics that people don’t like to talk about or are uncomfortable with.
Triggers are reminders of past trauma that cause intense feelings such as panic or anxiety, and often have long lasting effects long after the trigger. Here is a link with some good information:

“Trigger” is already widely misused, misunderstood, and misappropriated. Using the term “upsetting” in this case can cause misunderstanding that minimizes the effect that triggers can have on people.

Additionally, as somebody has already brought up, triggers are different for everybody. Somebody who is triggered by car accidents may not be triggered by sexual assault and vice versa, so creating a blanket statement for triggers does not help people who need trigger warnings. Please reconsider the wording.

Also, a general reminder to everybody that while it is good to practice using trigger warnings, it is impossible to be able to predict what scenes can trigger people. Seemingly benign scenes have triggered me multiple times, and it’s not at the fault of the writers. You will not be able to prevent warning about every trigger in your story because there is no way of knowing for sure, and trigger warnings are supposed to be warnings for people who suffer from them so that we can choose to either mentally prepare ourselves for the triggering content or set it aside for later. Trigger warnings are not meant for the purpose of avoidance of the content, since avoidance is unhealthy and can cause more harm. Please do diligent research before using the term, and please understand that misusing the word or giving improperly worded warnings further stigmatizes those who have to live with triggers.

17 Likes

They would have to have a background for all warning splashes that they’re removing, because if they just plain removed them and didn’t replace it with something, writers who had coded those certain backgrounds into their script would get an error, and their episode wouldn’t work properly.

6 Likes

I get that, but weren’t there only three prior to this update anyway? I don’t remember ever seeing RWWARNING and UGCWARNING before now.

I guess when I first saw 5 splashes, I just thought that INT. WARNING - BOTH was going to act as the universal warning plash, but that the other 4 would be slightly more specific to common triggering themes. Like for INT. WARNING -LANGUAGE to actually say that the possibly upsetting content is strong language

8 Likes

Me neither. I can’t quite guess at what those mean. “User-generated content warning,” maybe, but I don’t know why that would need its own designation. RW… no clue at all.

6 Likes

Yeah that is weird. I’m pretty sure there were only three before… so I don’t get the need for two new ones with identical text…

3 Likes

Why do all of them say the same thing? There’s a big difference between a few curse words and a SA scene. They should specify WHAT the content is that may be ‘upsetting’.
Anyway, I’ll stick to my own warning pages.

13 Likes

I think these are pointless tbh… people are saying they like the design… ummm… what design? It’s a blank with screen with some black font. Anyone could make that in Microsoft paint.
It’s just plain vague. I think the point here is you either have to make your own splash background, or use a solid background with the narrator for the “reader/viewer discretion is advised” message.

8 Likes

I think they mean the “cleaness” of it. A blank background, plain*, easy to read font. (haha I wrote pain.:woman_facepalming:)

:joy:
Seriously though, the new ones are so vague. At the very least they could make the -LANGAUGE and the - THEMES- ones specify just those things. This feels a little lazy (all of them having the same message.)

7 Likes

Yeah I mean they just say “may contain content which could be upsetting to some readers”… I don’t know what that’s doing for anyone.

4 Likes

Right at the beginning of my story I actually have the author saying exactly what to expect. It’s long and boring but it needs to be done or I’ll get complaints.

6 Likes

Just a question for the commenters.

What’s for you a good warning then? Name an example, please. I cannot think there can be only one trigger mentioned, when their could be multiple in any story, just like people have multiple different reasons for traumas.

1 Like

What type of god damn stupid warning sign is this-
:roll_eyes: AINT NOBODY GON SEE THAT

2 Likes

I feel like these days there’s nothing that’ll be good enough for everyone… but I’d say look at how shows and movies rate and what they mention and how they mention it. I watched Honey I Shrunk the Kids on Disney+ a couple of months ago and noticed how it mentioned “mild tobacco reference” or something like that. You have to think of what’s in your story that would contribute to its rating that would be mentioned before a show or before a movie preview. I think that’s a good way to judge it.

3 Likes

Yeah, but all stories have many many possible triggers. Shall we make a list in every warning background?

1 Like