Reporting a story

I am unsure on whether or not I should report this story. The author of the story has dialogue in this story that is anti black and they ridicule black hair. There is a token black girl in the story and her braids are basically a punchline for this authors jokes. I am not sure if Episode would take it down even if I do report it. Other readers of this story also feel that the authors jokes are unsettling. What can I do about this?

4 Likes

which story is it?

I would definitely report that story

2 Likes

Honestly I would but its your choice to choose

2 Likes

report it.

5 Likes

Which chapter of scene does it show offensive?

1 Like

Excuses, Excuses

4 Likes

5 Likes

definitely report it.

2 Likes

having a “bad day” isn’t an excuse for being racist

15 Likes

report it

1 Like

Umm definetly report that. “took her by surprise” rlly?

2 Likes

Not giving the author a racism pass but can you go into detail? If all the jokes in the story are only funny because of the character’s race then I would go ahead and report it. If these specific jokes/interactions aren’t key to advancing the plot or affecting the rest of the story in some way then I personally would go into her fanmail and ask her to remove the scene or change the dialogue, I’m not sure because if the bw is a strict character of habit, then you go with what’s comfortable with you!

2 Likes

Report it. No excuse for racism.

1 Like

I read the first episode and since these comments already started there, I guess I know what you are talking about. I don’t think that the author intended this to be offensive or racist, because we are actually talking about the MC’s best friend and they love each other. It’s very common in real life that friends tease each other. The author probably added this because she thought it was funny it’s not, but I don’t think she meant any harm. I personally wouldn’t call the dialogue anti black, the MC was just honest about not liking her BF’s new hairstyle, which I think was just a pretty unfortunate choice from the author’s side that she probably didn’t even realize.

I agree with @brittanysmith, I personally wouldn’t report this, but it might be worth to ask the author in fanmail to rewrite these dialogues. If she gets the same feedback from more people, it’s more likely that she will change it.

10 Likes

I didn’t read the story so I can’t say what her intentions were, but if she meant no harm, why didn’t she remove the scene when they told her that it’s offensive?

10 Likes

I’m pretty sure she’s already editing the story. I just checked, and I can’t see a single complaint in her fanmail atm. Since there’s a screenshot above, I’m going to assume she deleted it/them. Maybe she saw this post?

I think it’s also possible that what I read a few hours ago was an updated version already, because now I can see that episode 1 is updated (again?). So yeah, I dunno, but in the version what I read, it was really only the fact that the MC didn’t like her best friend’s new hairstyle, and the best friend kept asking her about her opinion. It was not really offensive, and it was not what the story revolved around. It’s just something that was unnecessary to be added.

7 Likes

ask @Tyler

1 Like

I’m not automatically discarding your POV, as I said I never read the story nor I’ve ever talked to the writer so I don’t know what her intentions were. But she only did the changes after this post was made, she didn’t acknowledge others’ feelings when her readers called her out. Adding a poc or a black person in your story doesn’t save you automatically from being racist (not saying that she is, I’m just saying that it’s not an excuse to use to prove that she’s not), it’s like the “I have a lot of black friends!” excuse.
Again, I hope that you’re right and I’m extremely happy that she made the changes that were needed, I hope that she’ll write a public statement to clear the air. I’m sure that this experience will teach her a little bit more about discrimination

4 Likes

I didn’t plan on commenting more in this thread, but OK :sweat_smile:

I don’t know the author either, but I do feel bad for her. I write comedy, and you have no idea how many times I reread and rewrite my episodes just to make sure I wouldn’t unintentionally offend anyone with my jokes. And still, I’m always worried that one day someone would call me out for something I didn’t even realize.

I’m all against racism, but this story is not racist. It never was. I know this because it’s up in the comedy section, which means that it recently passed a review by Episode. If there was any hate speech in it, it wouldn’t have passed. And still, the author actually did acknowledge the feedback she received, because she has been editing her story. Do you know when she received those fanmail? I don’t, but if it happened in the last few days for example, give her some time to fix it.

P.S. I reread the first episode, and she completely removed those dialogues

4 Likes