Revamping Stories: What You Need to Know

:wave: Hey guys!:wave:

I am currently in the process of revamping a huge story of mine, and I found myself wondering “what the heck am I supposed to do?!?!?!” half of the time. So, I created this page to help those who may be considering revamping their story.

This page has three parts:
(read these in order!)

__

What Does it Mean to Revamp a Story?

re·vamp
verb
/rēˈvamp/

1. give new and improved form, structure, or appearance to.

Revamping a story is a huge commitment. It means going back to Episode 1, looking at your previously written script, and saying “I can DEFINITELY do better than this!” It means looking back at when you used barely any spot directing, or zooms or anything, and adding spot directing, or zooms, or anything!

In more elaboration, revamping means to start over from square one and see how your story can improve. If you’ve ever gotten a harsh review on your story before, all of those things the reviewer points out are what you need to add while revamping. Revamps can be combined with bug fixes, chapter updates, and many other kinds of story updates to produce a fantastic update to your story.

Now, this may sound great and all, but keep in mind that this could be time-consuming and/or energy draining, especially if you’re an author who’s just starting out. While you’re able to write on your own schedule and your own time as an author, that may not necessarily mean you want to, or even can, in some cases (see “Should I Revamp My Story?” to learn what these cases could be)

However, while revamping could be very difficult and not-so-worth it, it’s also very, very worth it to see your story improve over time and hard work. The revamping process is even simpler than writing out the story because you already have the perfect idea for what your plot is going to be. Rarely any new characters or outfits are needed!

__

Should I Revamp My Story?

Sounds like you’re interested in revamping, but you aren’t quite sure yet. Here are some bulleted lists to help you make that important decision.

You probably shouldn’t start revamping just yet if:

• Your readers are expecting a chapter update soon. Revamping takes lots of time, so I’d advise updating first, then beginning your revamp.
  • You don’t have time. If you feel your schedule already getting packed, this option is not for you until it gets cleared out.
  • You aren’t willing to start over. Many authors (including myself!) are/were afraid of the idea of starting over, of highlighting the entire script of an episode and pressing backspace. The entire point of this is to get a clean slate for a big chunk of your story.

Revamping is definitely the choice for you if:

• You cringe at your own directing from earlier episodes. The point of revamping is to get rid of the things you hate in your story and starting over, so this will easily be solved.
  • You are getting many comments on directing while being reviewed. As I said above, this is definitely a motivation to start your story from the top.
  • You can put lots of time and energy into that one story. This requires time and effort like I’ve said a lot of times already, so you have to be loyal and care about your readers and your story!
  • You want to. In the end, it’s entirely your decision! No reader can force you to do what you don’t want to!

If you think revamping is for you, click on the final “details” arrow!

__

How Do I Revamp My Story?

It looks like you’re very interested! Nice!

Most authors believe revamping means deleting an entire script and starting from scratch. But this isn’t always necessary!

A method I use is a revamping endpoint. When I first open the episode, I delete the first scene, write a few lines of the first scene, and then insert a writer’s note. Writer’s notes are when you type notes for yourself in the script beginning with a ‘#’. The script doesn’t read this as a command; it’s a little memo for you to read whenever and keep as long as you want. I squeeze a little note to myself in between where my revamped script ends and where my unchanged script begins. After the note, on the line below, I insert a “pause for 1000000000” command so that the script will stop where you stopped revamping, but won’t end the episode. Whenever I want to copy and paste a little detail from my old episode’s script, I scroll below the revamping endpoint and find it there. Once I’m finished writing the episode above the endpoint, I delete the endpoint and the old episode’s script, leaving me a completely redone episode!

In short, the endpoint note will look something like this:

[revamped story script goes here]
######REVAMPING ENDPOINT######
@pause for 10000000000000
[original script is usually here]

If this is what you’d like to do, remember: don’t delete the original script until you’re done completely! This keeps certain codes in that episode available to you!

Then again, if you want it to be less complicated, you could still delete your script and start from scratch. Most people find that better :sweat_smile:

Remember, you’re revamping your story for the purpose of improvement. Changing 2 lines and saving won’t make the cut. This takes the courage to start over, to experiment with different directing you haven’t used as much before! You can choose to revamp as many episodes as you want to, or revamp your entire story, if you want to! Go for it! Take risks! Have fun!

__

What do you all think of revamping stories? Start a discussion, and write your thoughts down below!

:wave:Thank you all for reading!:wave:

8 Likes

:+1:t5: This is very helpful info.

1 Like

I always keep revamping my stories and then give up on them, I just lose motivation…

2 Likes

Bump~

bump~

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.