Rotating Overlays Direction

So, I understand how to rotate overlays completely, and all about the anchor point and stuff, but what I’m stumped on is the direction of the overlay when it rotates. I’ve read a couple of explanations on it, but when I type in the correct syntax and filled in everything that was needed, the overlay turned counterclockwise, but I want my overlay to turn clockwise, and I made sure that there wasn’t any negative degrees that would make it turn counterclockwise, but all the degrees that make an overlay turn counterclockwise need to be negative.
I tried making the anchor point negative instead, I tried changing the degree back to negative, tried changing the degree back to positive, tried changing the “&” to an “@”, but surprise surprise! None of it fixed it.
I tried my spelling and the syntax but everything was correct in that department.
In short, the problem is that my overlay is turning counterclockwise when I want it to turn clockwise.

1 Like

What’s the degree you’re putting??

Hmm…as far as I know it is simly about the degree and minus or plus…I rotated my limb overlays several times and I never had problem to turn them to one or other side…and all the difference was the dergree with + or - …

Can you show me your script please?

here I have template for punch bag which rotates in both directions - it might help you to understand how to do it

Here’s where I want the overlays to start at:

@overlay 5739287837736960_RORY LEFT HAND shifts to 268 300 in zone 1
@overlay 5739287837736960_RORY RIGHT HAND shifts to 54 299 in zone 1
@overlay 5739287837736960_RORY RIGHT SHOULDER shifts to 118 281 in zone 1
@overlay 5739287837736960_RORY LEFT SHOULDER shifts to 203 278 in zone 1
@overlay RORY LEFT SHOULDER rotates 245 anchor point 0.5 0.5 in 0
@overlay RORY RIGHT SHOULDER rotates 110 anchor point 0.5 0.5 in 0
@overlay RORY RIGHT HAND rotates 20 anchor point 0 0 in 0
@overlay RORY LEFT HAND rotates 345 anchor point 1 0 in 0
@zoom on 164 323 to 180% in 5 using easebounceout

And here’s where my problem is at:
&overlay RORY RIGHT SHOULDER rotates 72 anchor point 0.5 0.5 in zone 1 in 2
&overlay RORY LEFT SHOULDER rotates 285 anchor point 0.5 0.5 in zone 1 in 2
&overlay RORY LEFT HAND rotates 275 anchor point 0.5 0.5 in zone 1 in 2
&overlay RORY RIGHT HAND rotates 135 anchor point 0.5 0.5 in zone 1 in 2
&overlay RORY LEFT HAND scales to -0.002 0.002
&overlay RORY LEFT HAND rotates 180 anchor point 0 0 in zone 1 in 0

The overlay I’m having problem with is RORY LEFT HAND, I want it to turn clockwise but for some reason, it’s set to counterclockwise.
The italic part is there because the overlay flips upside down.

its not clear to me why do you change the anchor point of the same overlay 3 times. - why you do not keep the same anchor point?

also you are using in the second part of your script &…which means you in the same moment rotate the RORY LEFT HAND two different ways - which make no sence so you probably fofrot to put @ somewhere…unfortunatelly its not clear to me what are you trying to do so - I do not know where the @ should be…this is definitli caussing that the script doesnt work well

Um Hi, I need help I just started episode “making” and I don’t understand one of my error messages

haha sorry for not explaining that the overlays are supposed to be constantly moving different places since I’m making an animated, overlay version of one of my characters since episode doesn’t have the movements that I want to do, and it looks cooler with overlays since it’s clearer :joy:

What’s your error message? Have you tried searching it on the forums search bar? That’s how I usually find the solution for mine.

Forums search bar? ( sorry i just started creating ideas today lol)

for constantly moving you do not need to change the anchor point, you just shift it…changing anchor point makes sence only in case you want to change to the centre of the rotation…which if it is a limb overlay seems strange because limbs rotate around joints…but again just from the script I cant see the effect you try to do.

also, I added above note about & - this I am positive you have wrong.

haha don’t worry about it, we’ve all been there! Your on the Episode Forums right now, the search bar is in the top right corner, it’s the magnifying glass right next to the 3-line and your profile icon, if you search up the exact error message, and read a couple of posts, the solution should be in one of them.

also the scaling to 0.002…the overlay will be practicly invisible when you make it so small…is this really correct?

Ok thank you!

Yeah, I have it zoomed in close to the overlay, so the overlays are smaller than usual

well sort out the wrong using of & first and see if you still got problem

Ok so, I fixed the error and now it’s not working in the preview, (I’m sorry for bugging)

Hey, don’t worry about it! Happy to help! You can try reloading the page, but make sure you save the script first, or you can try looking at it from your phone, that’s what I sometimes do.

Ok thank you will do!

Okay so I changed a whole lot of stuff like timed placements, the & and @, and after I tried putting negatives in different places, I finally found something that fixed the problem. I tried going higher than 360 for the degrees and it worked, since the overlay moved from 275 and I wanted it to go clockwise 150 degrees, and when I tried putting a lower number, it would go counterclockwise 150 degrees, and I hadn’t heard anyone say anything about how you can go over 360 degrees if you need to, without making it go in a complete circle or say that you could do that, so I figured I could just try my luck, and it worked! :grin: Thank you so much for the help!

1 Like

Great that you figured it out!!