Rules Around Using Episode Art Assets and Community Edits

she’s still selling episode assets and then putting her name on it as the watermark. it’s going against everything that this article is talking about.
@CoraMae

I didn’t see, I don’t know. :heart:

I hope Liz comes soon with all the answers.

@Liz
Is there any chance of Episode releasing some new backgrounds that would be free to use?
Which one we don’t use the hidden backgrounds? Can you shown us which the background from episodes?
I understand we can’t use the hidden ones due to copyright etc, but surely this could be a sign that authors need new backgrounds and overlays in the drive?

So when does all this need to be done by?

Ok so I know I’m over-reacting but its as if I’ve overused the backgrounds and overlays that Dara put on her drive, one of my upcoming stories is literally ONLY hidden backgrounds and a few normal backgrounds so I literally have to redo the whole three episodes again pretty much. I understand where EPISODE is coming from but so many people like me are going to have to do so much work to change their scenes.

Hey, Liz!
So, what doest that mean for authors? Do we have a deadline to remove backgrounds and overlays with watermarks, and hidden bgs, and replace them and redirect our scenes, before we get punished? The “ban” word is being spread like crazy on IG.

Because this lowkey hasn’t been happening for that long, Episode didn’t always allow users to write and it’s in their terms or agreement if you read them. Also they are hidden backgrounds???

@Liz
I don’t mind what Episode did, except a few miss communications. What I’m mad about is that a winner on the MC shelf by a popular author. The story contained hidden backgrounds, now I don’t know if their was an agreement or not. But this is not acceptable and I feel really confused and rattled by this. They are saying that you can’t use hidden backgrounds, but you picked a person who used those hidden backgrounds. This is really confusing and disappointing. :thinking::neutral_face:

If anyone needs a replacement for hidden background, let me know :heart: I’m not the best background editor, but I can try :heart:

Example

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

It does kinda feel like we don’t get listened to in the requests thread though :disappointed:

Since we’re getting so many avenues cut off for backgrounds, it would be really nice if they did a background update this Thursday. :grin:

I kinda do need Episode backgrounds because Episode characters on realistic pictures bugs me out

There are actually many feature requests that the community posted to the forums that have been implemented to the app & writers portal. It’s best to remember that change isn’t always immediate and that the Episode team does review the feature request section. It is definitely in everyone’s interest to keep creating new threads with their suggestions and requests. :grin:

Do the mods have weekends off? I’m hoping now that it’s Monday, @Liz will be able to offer a bit more insight based on the questions above.

I think the main questions are…

1. Is there a set time all our hidden backgrounds need to be removed?
Summary

“Do we have a deadline to remove backgrounds and overlays with watermarks, and hidden bgs, and replace them and redirect our scenes, before we get punished? The “ban” word is being spread like crazy on IG.” (@LadyBirdEpisode)

“So when does all this need to be done by?” (@Ella_J)

1. Are there hidden backgrounds we can use, like ones not copyrighted by PP, PLL, etc? (Such as the cafeteria from The Kiss List, which was a popular hidden background.
Summary

“Is there any chance of Episode releasing some new backgrounds that would be free to use?
Which one we don’t use the hidden backgrounds? Can you shown us which the background from episodes?” (@MonaK96)

1. Will you approve backgrounds faster now? Many people must get all new backgrounds pre approved for their stories, which can take a long time.
Summary

Are we to assume that you all will be expediting the approval process for backgrounds and overlays to rectify this? You’ve come out of left field stating backgrounds that were hidden cannot be used, even if they were already approved . There is no timeframe on this so we have no idea when this “purge” of stories will happen. We don’t even know if the new backgrounds many suddenly have to locate for the scenes they need to redirect will be approved in time. You all give very little direction or guidance when it comes to anything. (@CeCeWrites.Episode)

1. Can you make the hidden assets that ARE fair game (certain props and backgrounds) available?

2. Why are hidden backgrounds still being approved?

Summary

I just got an email half an hour ago saying one overlay I had from The Kiss List had been approved. Naturally I’ll be deleting it anyways, but it’s weird that it was approved.

“I think it would be very informative for everyone for a list of these hidden assets to be made.
I’m sure I am not the only one in thinking that I might be using a hidden asset without even being aware of it. Especially if they have been approved without any problem in the past. For example, none of the backgrounds I’ve used for my stories have been rejected but clearly from the statement that’s been made by you: it doesn’t mean that I’m not using a background I should not be using.” (@MerryMirrors)

“I mean, they have approved of so many images that now seem to break the rules, so I think we’re all a bit confused here.” (@HappyDaisy)

1. Will you release new backgrounds weekly the same way you do clothes?

How did hidden backgrounds and overlays got on people’s drives at all? And they were here for months, and no one said anything. I just don’t get it.

There is no deadline to remove hidden backgrounds or overlays with watermarks or that are not available from public use.

If authors would prefer to remove assets on their own schedule and timeframe, rather than waiting for the possibility that we might ask them to do so in the future, they can do it whenever they want. The only thing that might happen to an author who has used any of the problematic assets is that IF we come across it, we may ask you to remove it.

We are not out to “punish” authors who used them in the past.

Authors should be concerned with not using those assets moving forward.

I hope this helps calm any fears or anxieties and clears up any confusion.

Thank you, I’m calmer now! :heart:

Can you also maybe elaborate on the prop situation? I understand why we wouldn’t be able to use things like the Pitch Perfect Bella Book or the garbage can lid, but why not the things like cigarettes, yellow mug, episoda, etc?

So if I have a hidden background as my character’s bedroom, may I continue to use it until the story is over? Or do I have to replace it?

This still asking :heart: