Rules Around Using Episode Art Assets and Community Edits

@julesscreven
Has anybody on the Episode Team actually told the creators to shut down their drives?

Last anyone of us heard was this:

But the whole discussion/inforcing of these rules are still vague and left up to interpretation.
What I really want from Episode is an actual explanation and a more understandable telling of what we can/can’t do, not just words left for us to figure out for ourselves. The community isn’t all about american adults with a law degree, is it. It’s from 13+ and for all nationalities. Most people will not be able to understand just a bunch of legal words/the guid lines.

And I find it sad and dissapointing that after what, almost a week(!?) we still haven’t gotten any propper answers to all our questions.

I can understand not using backgrounds such as this, from the Demi story

Or the ones from the other of the featured stories, or copy/paste assets from them in any form, as Episode most likely are in contract with other parties on how they are allowed to use and distribute them, but to for instance change the color of one of the backgrounds available to any writer at the writer portal and share that with other members of the community, that’s a bit extreme.

I’m afraid that the community is becoming divided, with members leaving and slowly dying because of - maybe - simple missunderstandings…(?)

The best would be for Episode themselves to make a features in the writing portal that makes it possible for us to share our backgrounds with each other if we wish to, without having to use other drives.
I see only benefits from such an asset.

1. That way people wouldn’t have to upload the same backgrounds over and over again,
  2. Episode would have less backgrounds to look through to approve/reject of (resulting in better control over what slipps through their nets)
  3. We/the creators would still all have access to the same (more) backgrounds to use for our stories without anyone profitting but Episode and the Episode community.

And so the downwinding spiral would start going up instead of down…

<3

And that would also save space on their server.

That’s what we all agree and hope they make it come true some day. I do expect they don’t approve all given backgrounds for public use and that they set priorities by only quality backgrounds.

Oh kill me now :joy: I just remembered! We can’t use hidden stuff! That means we also can’t use tappables :joy:

For pointless and useless conversations.

Apparently it was always in guidelines, one way or another, but we were getting away with this for a long time, and a lot of people got a lot of backgrounds from these activities on forums and IG, so at least, u know.

Instead of whining and making silly petitions, learn how to do your edits or find a person for it and MOVE ON people.

Honestly, a lot of hysterical whining all around.

Show me the line of guidelines or TOS where it says that’s not allowed!

There isn’t any!!

Same as my story was removed for violating TOS because it’s not a story but a customization game. I asked Support several times to show me the line of TOS which I was violating, but they never did - I know why - because it doesn’t exist!

Oh honey, I know…:expressionless:

Cause all of this is Episode’s property and we were sharing it openly?

As per this - I cannot comment, as I don’t have enough information, and this is off-topic here tbh.

Show me the line :woman_shrugging:t4:

Line that says you can’t distribute copyrighted content? U serious?

Yup enlighten me I’m just too stupid to read and understand TOS.

If that’s the case then why bother getting someone to point it out to you?! :woman_shrugging:

Taking Episode assets (their backgrounds, their overlays, the art style of the three styles, etc.) has always been prohibited when it comes to taking it beyond your personal use in the context of the app. The last line of this section is important, because it lays down the absolutes of their legal conditions.

1. User Content (including Your Content) and Episode Interactive Created Materials:

In addition, you acknowledge and agree that all derivative works of the Service Materials, including, but not limited to, any animations of any kind generated within or by the Service, shall be owned by Episode Interactive. Such materials are referred to in this Agreement as the “Episode Interactive Created Materials.” For clarity, it is understood and agreed that any animations, sequences of animation, characters, or artwork based on Your Content shall be Episode Interactive Created Materials. To ensure such ownership, you hereby assign to Episode Interactive all rights, title and interest in and to the Episode Interactive Created Materials that you hold, if any. Accordingly, for clarity, you acknowledge that (a) Episode Interactive and any third party it authorizes may exploit for any purpose the Episode Interactive Created Materials via the Service; and (b) you shall not have any rights to use the Episode Interactive Created Materials for any purpose.

https://home.episodeinteractive.com/terms

I agree they should have dealt with it all a long time ago, but this has been part of Episode’s contract with us as consumers from the beginning.

Discussion: there's something strange happening with Episode

And I particularly want to know on which line of TOS it’s written that we can’t use hidden stuff. :weary:

Lord, give me strength.

Liz has personally responded to you in this thread before, quoting herself. Creating images using Episode assets never gives an editor the right to distribute. This is not new for Episode, nor is it new in the eyes of copyright laws.

2. Changes to the Terms of Service and the Service

Episode Interactive reserves the right, at its discretion, to change, modify, add or remove portions of these Terms of Service and its Privacy Policy at any time by posting the amended terms on the Site. You will be deemed to have accepted such changes by continuing to use the Service. Except as otherwise expressly stated, all amended terms shall automatically be effective immediately when posted.

3. Limited License Grant and Restrictions

Episode Interactive grants to you a limited, non-exclusive, non-transferable, non-sublicensable revocable license to use and display the following: (a) the portions of the Service that are freely accessible from the Episode Interactive Site or that are, with Episode Interactive’s authorization, made freely accessible from third party websites or sources, and (b) such other portions of the Service accessible on a “for-payment” basis, provided that you have paid the applicable fees and satisfied all applicable conditions. The license in the preceding sentence is (i) solely for your personal, non-commercial use; (ii) solely for a single computer to access the Site and solely on a device to access applications; and (iii) subject to your compliance at all times with these Terms of Service.

You agree not to (and not to attempt to): (i) copy, adapt, modify, prepare derivative works based upon, distribute, license, sell, transfer, publicly display, publicly perform, transmit, stream, broadcast or otherwise exploit the Service or any portion of the Service, except as expressly permitted in these Terms of Service; or (ii) use the Service for any use or purpose other than as expressly permitted by these Terms of Service.

You agree that the Service Materials are protected by, and their use, copying and dissemination may be restricted by, applicable intellectual property and other laws in both the United States and other jurisdictions. All rights not expressly granted by these Terms of Service are reserved by Episode Interactive and its licensors, and no license is granted hereunder by estoppel, implication or otherwise. You agree not to encumber, license, modify, publish, copy, sell, transfer, transmit or in any way exploit, any portion of the Service or Service Materials other than Your Content (as defined below), nor will you attempt to do so, except as expressly permitted in writing by Episode Interactive and, as applicable, the owner of such Service Materials (from whom you are solely responsible for obtaining permission).

“Service Materials” means all information and materials that are part of the Service, including without limitation the following: any and all copyrightable material, including software; the “look and feel” of the Service or portions thereof; the compilation, assembly and arrangement of the materials of the Service or portions thereof; photographs; graphics; artwork, characters, animations, layout; text; images; audio; video; designs; advertising copy; data; logos; domain names; trademarks, service marks, trade names and other source identifiers; and User Content.

nuff?

Why claim there’s no line in the Terms of Services if you didn’t read or understand it?

As I said, I’m foreigner. Even though you shared those lines of TOS, I still don’t understand them. :woman_shrugging:t4: You have every right to call me stupid.

English is not my first or second language. I do understand English almost perfectly, but not law words. :woman_shrugging:t4:

I’m in the exact same position. That’s why I use translators :woman_shrugging:
As everyone loves to say, the fact you don’t understand rules/law doesn’t mean you won’t be held accountable.

I’m a foreigner too, whatever that means. I understand if the huge chunk of terms of services doesn’t make sense, but it’s better to ask for clarification in a respectful manner instead of making huge statements filled with anger. It won’t get you anywhere

I read them many times and too many. I know we can’t sell. That’s quite normal. But sharing inside community?

One more thing - I don’t use Episode assets! I do feel disturbed that others who did, need to change everything now.